• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings!

I've just signed up and thought I'd introduce myself before I begin posting. I am an Illustrator who also dabbles in a bit of fantasy writing. I've always loved story books and never really grew out of them (Hell, I'm currently reading Arabian Nights, -the challenging version!-) From dragons and knights to witches and flying horses, I've imagined it all. I've started writing several stories over the years only to leave them unfinished. I'm a perfectionist, so I always end up rewriting every story 20 times before I come to the conclusion that I don't have the kind of time it takes to get it right.

Actually, it's more complicated than that. It's that the writer in me must battle the artist in me. I'll write a scene, imagine it in my head, and next thing I know the artist is trying to clobber the writer, fighting to draw the scene instead of allowing the writer to finish writing it. Sadly this duality keeps me from finishing anything, but maybe one day that might change. Maybe I should stick to short stories. Lol!

There is a double-purpose in my joining this forum. As I've mentioned, I'm also an illustrator. I'm fairly busy with more projects than I am sometimes able to handle, but I admit that the subject matter some of my clients request isn't always the sort I enjoy to the fullest. Don't get me wrong, I love putting a smile on the faces of my clients when they see their visions come to life (no matter how cheesy :p). It truly keeps me going, but there are times when I sit over my tablet and sigh, wishing I'd have a few book covers with dragons, mages, flying horses or monsters to draw. I've had a few covers that involved some fun, but those are done, and I'm left with a lot of modern, tightly-controlled stuff I wouldn't call my 'niche'. I don't think there are any limits to what I can draw or paint as long as budget and time leaves little constraints, so I'm hoping that there might be one or two authors here (now, or in the near or distant future) who might find me a good match for them.

I wouldn't call this an "ad" per se, rather a cry for help. Think of it as a rescue mission. :D You may be wondering why I don't simply draw for myself. Well, I'd love to, except there's no time. All of my drawing time is dedicated to projects, and has been for the past few years. I can't justify spending a week or month on my own drawings when I need to be working on a paid project. So, if you find yourself in need of an Illustrator and your cover or book illustrations contain fantasy-oriented subjects, don't hesitate to contact me on this forum, or via e-mail. It would be so nice to be able to exercise my imagination!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see/read you around. :)

TWErvin2

Auror
Dream Source,

Welcome!

With the artist and writer within you both struggling for their part in the creative process, have you ever considered writing a graphic novel?

Don't know if that kind of artwork is up your alley, but just a thought.

Hope to cross paths with you on the forum.

Dream Source,

Welcome!

With the artist and writer within you both struggling for their part in the creative process, have you ever considered writing a graphic novel?

Don't know if that kind of artwork is up your alley, but just a thought.

Hope to cross paths with you on the forum.

Thank you for the welcome. :) I've definitely considered that. If not a graphic novel, then at least a book that is heavily illustrated. Although it's not impossible, it is extremely time-consuming. It would either take me years to complete, or I would have to sacrifice my working time. Of course that also depends on how detailed each illustration would be. I suppose I would have to compromise. For now I continue to plan the stories in my head.

One other thing I'm seriously considering doing is collaborating with various writers on a project. I'd like to put out one illustration every month, post it, and have writers from all over come up with short stories correlating to the image. The stories would be posted on a website or 'blog', and a winner would be chosen via public vote, or based on what I thought was the best-fitting or most creative story. There would be a prize for the winner, of course. Do you think that's something writers such as yourself might enjoy participating in?

Nick

Acolyte
Hey Dream,

Do you have an online portfolio? I would love to see it if that's okay with you.

Hi Nick, I responded to your post, but due to the fact that I posted a link, it may not appear until a Moderator has OK'd it. I sent you a private message with a link attached. :)

TWErvin2

Auror
One other thing I'm seriously considering doing is collaborating with various writers on a project. I'd like to put out one illustration every month, post it, and have writers from all over come up with short stories correlating to the image. The stories would be posted on a website or 'blog', and a winner would be chosen via public vote, or based on what I thought was the best-fitting or most creative story. There would be a prize for the winner, of course. Do you think that's something writers such as yourself might enjoy participating in?

Over the years I have seen variations on this idea. I've never participated before and probably wouldn't now (unless the picture really struck me right off with an idea and what the contest entailed), but others might.

Terry

Over the years I have seen variations on this idea. I've never participated before and probably wouldn't now (unless the picture really struck me right off with an idea and what the contest entailed), but others might.

Terry

I understand what you're saying. The way I came up with the idea (and I'm sure it's not original in any way Lol!) is that I've been inspired by the artwork of a friend of mine to write a story about his piece. When I did, he liked it so much that he wanted me to continue. He had me write dialogue for a series of his works. It was truly fun to imagine a story line to the works of art. I don't find myself able to do this with just any piece. It has to inspire me. I figured that since my personal pieces are illustrations of a story I have not yet written, it would be really interesting to see what others might imagine with the picture. It can be a challenge, but I think my style of depicting scenes practically writes itself (at least in my opinion and in my head). I'll just have to give it a try and see how it goes.

P.S. I also use music (especially soundtrack and classical) to find inspiration. My imagination goes wild when I listen to some compositions. I wonder if writers also use music to help them write, and whether there have been contests where one must listen to a piece of music and come up with a story. Hmmm......

Last edited: