• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Fantasy Game or Film Soundtracks?

Endymion

Troubadour
I don't care what anyone says, I still love things from my childhood. I loved Pokemon when I was a kid and I will love until I am 90 years old.

That's the spirit! Pokemon season one (the only one I liked) had an awesome theme, especially the Finnish version. I still sing it in the shower from time to time;)!

Warlock

Acolyte
Game soundtracks: World of Warcraft has some of the best soundtracks out there, as does Lord of the Rings: Online, Dragon Age I and of course, Skyrim. Star Wars: The Old Republic also has some very nice tracks.

Film soundtracks: Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy has some of the most epic soundtracks ever, as does Star Wars(prequels and original trilogy) and the Harry Potter series.

Sieryn

Dreamer
Final Fantasy IV though X (Nobou Umatsu can do no wrong), World of Warcraft, SWtoR is okay, Legend of Dragoon Opening is a favorite, I like a few tracks off of Secret of Mana

And I'm gonna throw out some Anime - Cowboy Bebop soundtrack...Its kinda like a film right? :)

JonSnow

Troubadour
Best game soundtrack of all time IMO... Xenogears HANDS DOWN... Chrono Cross was also really good. Most popular games have a couple good tracks. But these were 3-4 CD's packed with great tunes top to bottom. I think that era of games (Playstation 1, mid to late 90's) had the most underrated soundtracks.

For Movie/TV soundtracks... Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Game of Thrones

Can't believe I missed this thread. I have to say, for some reason I seem to love game soundtracks a lot more than film soundtracks these days, can't explain why, and I'm glad that we are hearing such beautiful music in games these days.

The Assassin's Creed series: I'm not going to lie, these pieces of music left tears in my eyes at points.

Elder Scrolls series: Ok, I haven't actually played Skyrim yet, but Oblivion had a cool soundtrack. Jeremy Soule is one of my favourite composers, he can be dramatic, but also incredibly subtle.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance: If you're a veteran, you'll know what I'm talking about. A tragically unfinished 2 game series with some truly beautiful and inspiring music. The first game again courtesy of Jeremy Soule, the second by Craig Stuart Garfinkle.

Beyond Good and Evil: You need to be not only a veteran, but someone with great taste in games to remember this. A fantastic sci-fi stealth game, which sadly slipped under the radar. But good news! It's been re-released as a download for current gen consoles, so folks, go and get it. Oh and it has a really interesting soundtrack, including a piece where the "rhythm" is augmented by a recording of a bulgarian woman having a telephone conversation. Intrigued? Good.

Fallout series: I love these soundtracks, not just because of the golden oldies on the radio (which I love), but the background music, composed by Inon Zur, is top class as well.

Chime85

Sage
Final Fantasy (in particular, VI). You cannot deny the splendor that is Nobuo Umatsu. My particular favorite in the whole Final Fantasy series is this beautiful piece.

Dancing mad, the music to the final battle. Please, sit back and enjoy :)

x

Last edited by a moderator:
For games...hmm...either Assassins Creed II or Skyrim. I might lean more towards Skyrim...the soundtrack just really takes you into the world of Tamriel. I remember going into Blackreach and hearing "Beneath the Ice" play...one of the best moments for me. I can say a lot of negative things about Skyrim but the soundtrack isn't one.

For film, Lord of the Rings, no doubt about it. I can't think of any other fantasy film soundtrack that comes close.

hyluvian

Dreamer
Anything with Jeremy Soule is automatic, hence the awesome that is Skyrim and the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack.

For films, there are so many, everyone has already hit the perenial favorites - Star Wars, LoTR, Pirates. But you've forgotten one of the greatest film trilogies ever made -

Back to the Future

Who's humming the tune now? All of you are! And if you're not you may want to check your pulse... (Or you have no memory of the 80's).

And of course there's the music from the post 2005 Doctor Who - Murray Gold is very good at illiciting a certain mood for each Doctor.

Oh! And for those that can't think of a better fantasy soundtrack than LotR (hard I know) have you forgotten the Arnold Conan movies? Both had amazing themes for Conan.

VanClash

Scribe
Even though it's not a Skyrim-type fantasy (best way I can describe it), I really enjoyed the Black Mesa soundtrack and also the game in general.

I really love the Arkham Soundtracks, they're so menacing, sinister and gothic, with that prominent percussion and dark tone hinted with a tinge of hope :D.

MFreako

Troubadour
Don't know if this was mentioned, but the Mass Effect series has one of the strongest soundtracks out there, in my opinion at least.

How can I not include this? I was awestruck when this song eased into the game, I just kind of sat there listening and thinking "wow!".

teacup

Auror
I've posted this before, but I might as well post it here, too. FF9's whole soundtrack. (There's other full FF soundtracks down the side.)