• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you feel about the Hobbit being in 3D?

How do you feel about The Hobbit being in 3D?

• I love 3D, and can't wait to see it in this format

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • I'm not sold on 3D, but I trust Sir Peter Jackson to do it right

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • I'm tired of the push for 3D films, and plan to see this one in two dimensions

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Personally, I feel that 3D is a gimmick which can detract from good storytelling. Still, I don't mind it on occasion if it's done right.

Kelise

Maester
Personally I can't stand 3D and I avoid it whenever possible. Still, living in a small town means that sometimes it's the only ption, so despite the fact I try to avoid it, I've still seen a large handful of 3D movies...

And to date, the best 3D I've seen was in the Doctor Who Experience in London. It worked there. I'm guessing it works in rides in disneyland also. I'm yet to see a film where it's added anything at all, and yes, I saw Avatar. Having half the bird out of frame ruins the 3D experience for me, somehow :p

So I agree, it's a gimmick. I'm sure The Hobbit will be one of The Better Ones, such as Avatar was with the ash falling, at least...

But I still won't be seeing it in 3D if I can help it.

Old 3D technique used to give me motion sickness; I had allergies too when I was kid - I felt like Paul from The Wonder Years.

The new 3D stuff, like Avatar, is much improved. I loved Avatar in 3D and don't think it would have had as good of an effect had I watched it in normal format.

That being said, I am not sure about The Hobbit in 3D. I like the new effects, but I also am a dedicated loyalist to the feel of Jackson's LOTR films. I guess we'll see.

Not something I tell people, but I am blind in one eye, so any of the 3d effects are no good to me. I don't like the fad and hope that they stop shoving the dreck down our gullet until we like it.

They thought TV was a gimmick when it came out. Thought people would get tired of staring at those little boxes all day...

“Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.”
--Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
One of the main difficulties with 3D catching on is the glasses. If the technology ever evolves to the point that glasses are no longer necessary (especially for home viewing), it may reach a much broader audience.

The other problem is that the technology makes some people ill. My wife is an example of this. I took her to see Coraline in 3D, and she became nauseous. She ended up watching much of the movie with the glasses off, which was a less than satisfying experience.

3D has also been a big push for home theaters. The issue with that is that it requires most people to purchase a new HD TV that is 3D compatible. We purchased a beautiful 50" HD TV a little over three years ago, and we love it. I can't imagine replacing it for any reason in the near future.

Behelit

Troubadour
They thought TV was a gimmick when it came out. Thought people would get tired of staring at those little boxes all day...

“Television won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.”
--Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

Television was a gimmick, it was and is just a visual form of communication and entertainment. Back when communications technology was still relatively primitive, of course tv seemed like a gimmick when its black n white with like 6 channels. Many people probably DID get tired of staring at a plywood box, that could very well be why we are where we are today with television sets and hundreds if not thousands of channels.

3D is just another degree at which that visual is perceived. It IS currently a gimmick because it doesn't offer much right now. When 3D = holographic displays THEN it will start to impress. While displays remain on a 2d "canvas" then it will remain a gimmick.

Last edited:

Ophiucha

Auror
I don't know if it will really enhance my viewing experience in any way, but honestly, as a frequent movie goer, much as I hate 3D movies, I am just so used to them that I barely can muster up the will to give a damn anymore.

PandoraBox

It has to be done right. Granted not everything I care to see in 3D. I still prefer to have freedom of choice in that department.

Ravana

Istar
I chose option #3, but only because you didn't include "I think 3D is pointless and distracting, and it hurts my eyes to watch it."

Even calling it "3D" is deceptive. Yes, there is an illusion of more than a single depth on the screen–but that's also the problem: there are two depths on the screen. The technology is far from being able to provide a sense of continuous perspective at any distance. Well, that's not entirely true: you can get that sense… by looking at a normal, non-3D image on a flat screen; then, the objects that are more distant from the camera also appear more distant from your viewpoint. Using 3D simply emphasizes the fact that you're looking at a flat image, by presenting you two flat images, one superimposed on the other. Far from making it seem more "real" to me, it completely destroys my ability to see it as anything other than flat images.

Last edited by a moderator:

fcbkid15

Scribe
This depends. Nowadays they are putting every movie in 3D, when only some should. I think that animated movies are great in 3D, it flows and works better with purely animated movies. Take kung fu panda 2 or how to train your dragon, both animated, and me and my family loved the 3D. But it only works good with some live action films. Ones with little to no cgi dont work well. The depth is there, it looks better, but things popping out at you aren't as good. But with cgi heavy films the 3D is awesome. Nevertheless i see most movies in 3D, the theater i go to is very cheap, only 75 cents extra for a 3D movie. It doesn't bother me. But anyways the hobbit! I would love to see this in 3D it seems it would be awesome. Lord of the rings in 3D, i just can't say anything else, i don't know what to say.

Shanatos

Dreamer
I work at a movie theatre where we don't have 3D at all.

The fad kind of irritates me because now we have people that come in and complain as if the movie is TOTALLY RUINED because it is 2D. I literally heard someone ask, "What's the point?"

Because movies until now were just pointless all along.

I don't like watching movies wearing sunglasses, and honestly don't think the effect itself is ultimately worth the effort. So, I prefer my movies the old fashioned way, thanks.

I've seen enough movies in 3D to determine that I don't usually enjoy them any more than I enjoy 2D movies. It's a gimmick, which doesn't mean it's not fun once in a while, but most of the time it doesn't really improve the experience.

soulless

Troubadour
I'm not overly bothered about it, and will see both Hobbit films in regular flat 2D. I have seen a couple of films in 3D and loved the experience, but they were made properly with the 3D in mind and used it throughout the film to enhance the experience, but I don't see how seeing Hobbits in 3D will really be any different to 2D... except in the higher cost of viewing.