• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy genres

Goodie! I am somewhere in between Science Fantasy and Sword and Planet. Found out some of my most read authors and books are listed under Science Fantasy. Guess that's what I am going for.

Amanita

Maester
Interesting. Even though I don't really get the difference between "high" and "epic" fantasy.
One of my own stories is definitly a Coming of Age-story, almost all cliches are there. ;)
With the other one I'm not sure. It has a 19th Century-setting, steam engines exist but they aren't central to the plot. The characters use steam driven trains to get from A to B but that's about it. Would this still be called "Steampunk".

Chilari

Staff
An interesting read. It seems mostly what I write is low fantasy, sometimes with "coming of age" plotlines in them but not always, and they're generally just one of many themes.

Derin

Troubadour
Interesting. Even though I don't really get the difference between "high" and "epic" fantasy.
One of my own stories is definitly a Coming of Age-story, almost all cliches are there. ;)
With the other one I'm not sure. It has a 19th Century-setting, steam engines exist but they aren't central to the plot. The characters use steam driven trains to get from A to B but that's about it. Would this still be called "Steampunk".

In my experience, things are called "steampunk" if that helps increase the readership. ;) My current story is a standard coming-of-age story, but from the POV of someone who assumes her life is a heroic story.

I guess you could call it steampunk, but I wouldn't steampunk is generally a high technology wolrd (at least as good as ours, probably better) but everything has a cowboys and steambots theme...

myself is a bit urban/dark fantasy, with a bit of crime writing mixed in there, or sometimes science fantasy/dark fantasy

I'm not all thta happy a writer :D

Last edited:

Ophiucha

Auror
It's always nice to see a list that separates high and epic fantasy. I hate when they get bundled up together.

Mister J

It made me laugh a bit, as I'm currently writing an Epic Fantasy, Magic Realism, Cross-Over, and a couple of other genres--all as one story, and it's a metered rhyming poem. Perhaps I write my own genre, "confusing fantasy." :)

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
Hm. Gritty urban romance mythological. . . .

This is why I call myself Fusion Fantasy. Throw in as many diverse elements you can and hit blend.