• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy world, with guns, trains and no magic?

grimreaper

Scribe
Yes , the idea would certainly work . For myself , I like the magic and the supernatural in fantasy , but it is nice and refreshing to see storylines and ideas that depart from the flood of traditional , generic , Tolkien (or Martin) clones produced these days.

Speaking of traditional Tolkien or George Martin clones. what are the factors in those books that seems repeating? I know Tolkien's clone will be the elves, dwarves and humans.. And the usual will be the elves always are slender and use bows and arrows while living in nature, talking to trees, while dwarves are always from the mountains or lovers of ale and craftsmanship.

How about George Martin? Haven't read a lot of his books yet. Only done the Song of Fire and Ice, but still haven't got the Dance of the Dragon book yet.

I kinda like George Martin style of writing. His characters are well detailed and very lovable. And like what my wife said, all the characters feel real. Like a real person's reaction to certain things. Like the Queen Cersei.. Her love for her sons made her go the extreme, while Tyrion Lannister is an extremely sensitive person because of his upbringing. He is good at listening to people's conversation and catching the intention clearly.

I think George Martin's book focused a lot on characters and also the dialogues.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
This sound a like the anime Baccano! except magic does not exists and the fantasy factor are a group of immortal people which are the center of the story

Just because magic is real doesn't mean people know that it is real, or how to use it. Like science, or the nuclear bomb. It would have worked in the stone age, but we didn't figure it out till later.

Atmosphere would be important. if you are writing "Fantasy Fiction" there needs to be something special there.