• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dark Souls

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Anyone playing this incredibly frustrating but also incredibly rewarding game? If you're a hardcore RPG player (and I do mean hardcore) this is an excellent game for those looking for a real challenge in games.

I've made several characters to test each class, and my main one seems to be the Bandit. I actually fell of a cliff at one point and lost all my souls. That really, really sucks.

In any case, any one else playing this game? Thoughts?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Holy crap! I bought this game and was thrust into a world with nothing to go by. It's pretty much:

1) Load game

2) Short Intro

3) Now figure it out!

The whole issue with the game is that everything resets when you camp. I hate that. You clear a lot of an obstacle, you camp to either cash in your souls or save the game, now all the obstacles you thought you dealt with are there AGAIN. And you have no clue of the story. You don't know what's going on, where to go, or what to do. I don't mind that if the game was a sandbox like game, but it has a linear story! You're not free to do as you please. You're only free to wander aimlessly until you either stumble upon the next catalyst or give in and look up an online guide.

I played it for a few weeks but was so frustrated I put it on the shelf. Then I started writing seriously.

shangrila

Inkling
Really? I mean, the story is kind of vague for the first area or two, but once you start collecting lord souls it makes a lot more sense.

I put maybe 20 hours into it ; then I just got sick of it. A challenge is one thing and in Demons Souls you actually had one on one- skillful battles. Here it's just unfair. Mobs everywhere. Op bosses. And I obviously love a good story but this is just a rip off of Greek Mythology except all 'gods': not really cause they cannot do anything. And they all have to with fire. Not meaning to be a troll..just don't see what everyone else does.

nlough

Troubadour
I love the game. Had it since it came out, beaten it, sure there may not be that much of a story, but the fact that it's challenging is what I love. I don't a game that I can just sit there and beat in an afternoon; I want a game that will kick my butt until I figure it out.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
It's unforgiving, but it's certainly not unfair. It reminds me a bit of the old days, when games cared more about challenging the player and less about delivering an "experience"--which I find very refreshing.

JonSnow

Troubadour
I played it almost two complete play-throughs (about 120 hours, I'd say). It was brutal at first. But I expected that after playing Demon's Souls. To me, Demon's Souls was a little bit better... it just had some charm that Dark Souls didn't have. That being said, it was a great game, and a fantastic pure fantasy world...and unbelievably dark. Obviously, not much of a story, as there are only about a dozen NPC's that even resemble humans. But what little writing there was in the game, was pretty good.

Zenke

Scribe
I loved this game. Brutal as hell but so addictive at the same time. And rewarding. I've never enjoyed any other game quite as much (elder scrolls not included.) It has a nice array of weapons and armor, and the classes are pretty open. You can pick a mage and turn him into a heavily armored knight mid game if you've got the souls and armor for it. my first class was the wonderer, he ended up a heavily armored pyroninja, with a mean demon sword.

A

Astner

Yeah, this is my current player versus player build.

Cleric, level 118

Vitality: 27
Attunement: 12
Dexterity: 40
Endurance: 40
Faith: 50

The reaming stats are kept at default for a Cleric.

I really wanted Vitality at 30, since 29 - 30 gives the largest increase in health. But I'm restricting myself to level 120, but I also want three attunement slots, that's why I'm still at 118. Dexterity is for Ricard's Rapier +15, and Faith for Darkmoon Blade.

Right hand: Ricard's Rapier +15, Pyromancer's Flame
Left hand: Magic Grass Crest Shield +10, Darkmoon Talisman

Sage's robe set maxed-out, Mask of the Child, Dark Woodgrain Ring, and Ring of the Sun's Firstborn.

Darkmoon Blade, and Power Within.