• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why it is hard to get reviews for your self-published book

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Self-published books do get some reviews by critics, but I think it is easy to see that getting reviews from more established and/or mainstream reviewers, where there is no personal relationship, is hard to do. This is an interesting read in that it lays out the perceptions of at least one reviewer, right or wrong. Perceptions are probably the biggest thing a self-published writer has to go up against:

Thoughts – Reasons Why We Reviewers Won’t Read Your Self-Published Book | Gav Reads

JCFarnham

Auror
The best trick I've heard so far is to look and come across as no different to any traditionally published author out there. The only thing you can really do is to be the professional and prove it to reviewers. Proving them wrong in a big way, is perhaps one good way to stand out.

I'll end this post with a word, and I hope my meaning is apparent.

Networking.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think you are absolutely right, JCFarnham. This is why a quality editing job and professional cover is important. If you want to be treated the same as a traditionally published, professional writer, then you have to conduct yourself accordingly.

JCFarnham

Auror
Here's an expansion: Move in the right circles. Make friends with proper professionals (ie, people getting paid for their craft) and If you know them well enough, they can do nothing but help... If only to tell you "stop writing you're terrible at it" ;)

It's already worked for some.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
As someone who is about to self publish, I read the article and... agreed with it. What is their motivation to "discover" self published talent? If I were someone who made a living reviewing books, I'd stick with those that were the most likely to draw attention to my magazine (or whatever).

Bloggers fill the role of discovering new talent.

In recent years I have read a lot of self published fiction. It is still battling old stereotypes I'm afraid. Many of the books I've read have been of good quality and often of a much more interesting subject matter (to me, at any rate) than what is being published in the mainsteam. Some are a little 'rough round the edges'; containing some spelling and punctuation mistakes, especially, it seems in regards to dialogue tags! (No, it is not 'Kill the ogre.' he said., nor is it 'Kill the ogre',he said.) However, I have certainly found typos and some bad grammatical gaffs in even 'pro' books...sometimes I get the feeling that certain 'big name' authors do not really have much editing done on their final drafts, maybe because they are 'big names.' I have noticed in reviews of self-published/indie books that some reviewers are VERY nitpicking about any small mistake, and presume they are probably looking for errors because of the assumption that a self-published book must have them! However, they say getting a bad review is still better than having no reviews...I wonder if inviting people via blog to submit Amazon (or other)reviews would help?