• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Kind of Writer are You?

Rikilamaro

Inkling
You’re a Vladimir Nabokov. You chose esoteric and technical words that would drive most readers straight to their nearest dictionary. Other novelists known for their use of obscure or difficult language are Thomas Pynchon and Zadie Smith. A career in academia or science writing might suit your tastes.

Just call me Vlad... but I'm not much of an Impaler. And I don't think I'm over the top with my scientific descriptions.

I suppose I choose more scientific words because of the life I lead. I want to educate my readers, and make them think.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You can do worse than being Nabokov. The guy was a brilliant writer, and Lolita is one of the best pieces of fiction :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
So I get a bovine or a fowl?

Yeah, me.

:D

Well, I was thinking along the lines of a cookie being edible, and so the cow represents, perhaps, some Gates BBQ brisket, whereas the fowl might represent tandoori chicken or something.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
:D

Well, I was thinking along the lines of a cookie being edible, and so the cow represents, perhaps, some Gates BBQ brisket, whereas the fowl might represent tandoori chicken or something.

Well I' much rather have Arthur Bryant's. I'll stick with the :cow:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
HAHAHAH

Okay so I'm hemingway also,big surprise?

But I stuck around and took this quiz: How Shakespearean are you? | OxfordWords blog

and got this answer:
Your English is 84 percent Shakespearean.
The waters of the Avon almost lap at your feet.

SO overall, not a bad day. I like these sorts of quizzes. They make me smile and break up a boring day. Thanks for posting.

Aravelle

Sage
Mmmm.....

You’re a William Faulkner. You chose flowery and formal words commonly used by literary novelists and poets. Other writers known for florid diction are F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Eliot, and Edgar Allan Poe. You dream of Nobel Prizes and National Book Awards every night.

er... no, I don't dream of those sorts of things...

I'm a William Faulkner too!
I too, do not dream of those things... not saying I'd be opposed to winning any awards though. >.>

Motley

Minstrel
I was a Toni Morrison, but I have huge issues with this quiz. Most of the words offered I would use equally, depending on the style and mood of the piece of writing.

I might call a moldy castle basement noisome and a school gym locker funky. You can't pick one word to use for one meaning all the time.

ChantyLace

Dreamer
You’re an Ernest Hemingway. You chose clear and unflashy words that get right to the point. Other writers known for this style are George Orwell and Raymond Carver. Try your hand at a six-word memoir, consider a career in journalism, and maintain an active Twitter account.

Seem's true in the sense that that is how I write, but I'm not a fan of journalism, nor Twitter! Uhoh.

Which of these synonyms would you choose to describe the act of sexual intercourse?

A) Copulation

B) Nookie

C) Sex

D) Coition

Well, the last time I mentioned it, I called it "cattle-prodding the oyster ditch with the lab rocket" . . .

(I consider myself a punk writer, so I mostly answered C.)

Weaver

Sage
Gah. It said I'm Ernest Hemingway. So I should try writing a six-word memoir (hate them), Tweet a lot (yeah, right), and consider a career in journalism (after spending a few years helping my clone-sibling get over his 'just the facts' style acquired from technical writing)...? *sigh* Nope. Don't think so.

I'm with Motley: The word used depends on where it's used. Lacking context, of course I chose the 'neutral' word in each instance. That doesn't mean I'd always or even usually go with that choice in my fiction.

Jess A

Archmage
Ernest Hemingway. Journalism...no surprises there :rolleyes:

I still don't understand how Twitter works, though ...