• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Which book to focus on?

Evilyn

Scribe
Hello there :)

I have been having some issues lately and wondered if anyone else can relate and how they cope with the same.

I am currently writing 2 books, I started off writing an Adult Fantasy which will be a trilodgy (done 395 pages so far and 131,000 words), about a month ago I felt a little uninspired and started writing a Teenage fiction fantasy which I have only done 90 pages of. Now I have gone back to writing my Adult fantasy book as I have had some great ideas for it and wrote over 20 pages in one evening because I was on a roll, but I am confused which one I should focus on, I feel maybe I should concentrate on my teenage book as that does not need to be as long and I get get it out there quicker but I am enjoying my adult novel more at the moment?

I know it seems a silly question and that of course I should work on the one I am more passionate about but I feel I have been taking too long on my Adult novel and that maybe it would be good to get my other WIP out there whilst I finish my main one?

Confused
Evi

Taro

Minstrel
Hi :) i am way in the same boat as you, i have about 10 wips and i can't stay on one for too long which sucks my main one is the first in a trilogy but its already complete i am just editing it but i cannot just keep writing it i have to swap as i get to many ideas too easily. but the thing is write what you feel you need to, like you said you have more passion for you main novel so i would think write that.

I've always got numerous projects on the go, but eventually one will emerge from the pack and take my full attention until finished.

That's always happened in the past. Until you're writing professionally it makes no sense to force anything.

JCFarnham

Auror
Easy choice. The one you have more passion for will probably come more naturally to you. And since you've already got a good length novel there, you'll find you finish pretty quickly when you focus that passion. I don't know the book but I imagine you won't need much more right?

No point writing something you're not into :)

johnsonjoshuak

Troubadour
I have a new world-idea that has been nagging at me for almost 2 weeks now, but I've remained strong and have continued writing Book 2 of my series.

The reason that I've managed to maintain is that I still have the passion for my current WIP and I've got Book 1 out in the wild already; while I don't have a huge following, I think that putting out Book 2 would be more beneficial than starting a new series.

I think that having multiple POVs for my novel helps with the "passion" aspect; if I ever get tired of writing a certain character, I have two or three others that I can hop over to.

Evilyn

Scribe
Thanks guys for the fast and helpful response :)

I will focus on my Adult novel as I enjoy writing that more and try to worry less about trying to get a story out there for the sake of it.

It's funny, although both WIP are fantasy based I think it is also the writing style I have trouble with, in my adult novel I write from a third person view which is my preferred type of narrative, where as my teenage fiction is first person view which I find more restrictive.

I think Jc is right, I don't have too long to go as long as I stay focused.

Thanks again

Evi

SeverinR

Vala
You answered your own question.

Work on the one that is most inspiring to you at the moment.
Definately make notes for the other story if they pop up.

For me, I went between three stories when I first started. I'd write on one, then suddenly get inspired about the other, then maybe the third then back to one, or a different combonation.

If you force yourself to focus, it might not be as good as when your inspired.

You have no deadlines, no required manuscript, so why make a deadline or force the issue?

Evilyn

Scribe
Hello Severin

Thanks for the reply, you're absolutley right and the strange thing is once I decided to focus on my Adult novel I had another wave of inspiration for my teenage fiction and wrote a few pages last night, seems when I force myself my mind rebels :)
So I will just work on whichever one I am in the mood for at the time, I enjoy them both so I am lucky in that respect.

I know I don't have any publisher deadlines, but I had set myself a target - to finish a book within a year, it's now been two years and I guess I was getting a bit panicky which sounds silly. The main thing is I love writing and thats all that matters, thanks all the wise advice.

Evi