• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite tabletop rpg?

ALB2012

Maester
Hmm tricky question.

I would say warhammer is very good. Had years of fun with that game. Hit locations were fun and the critical failure/success was amusing. Characters head is cleaved from his body and rolls d6 yards:)

I liked Earthdawn as well.

I wasnt keen on amber.

We played Dragon age as an online game last year. I have to say I bought the box set and thought it was not great. It was an exercise in how to get the PCs killed very fast.

Non fantasy-Shadowrun, Traveller, WOrld of Darkness( Vampire- Old rules) Old rules Starwars.

ALB2012

Maester
My favourite used to be World of Darkness, for it's focus on storytelling. But recently I've been playing a home-brew play-whatever-you-want system that my sister and her friends have been developing for over 7 years. What I like most about it is that you can come up with the most outrageous characters both in terms of race and behaviour or motives, and as long as you can make it believable everything is allowed. It's also at a stage that there is enough of the world and the world's history established that you have something to hook into, but plenty of blanks spots on the map to fill with your own races and ideas.

My novel is actually set in that world :) as it was inspired by my current game character - it's going to be her story up to the point we're playing now.

Funny you should say that. I ran WoD for a while for a couple of friends. I had a GMs character who was a character of my own creation in that he was not a vampire, mage, garou he was something new. I also had a Gms chararcter who worked for another organisation and I considered turning her adventures into a book.

I liked the rule system but combat wasnt great but you could get the most outragoeuely over powered characters.

I think if you ignored some of the sillier rules it was fine:) I prefered runing the games to playing them but that is because I am evil:)

I'm still partial to Don't Rest Your Head, although I only played a few sessions of it online. (I was playing as a guy who was initially motivated by the disappearance of the girl he was in love with, and another player chose to play as the girl in question. We had a lot of fun, and I started to develop a crush on her for real. Then one night, she left a message saying she'd see everyone in the morning, and then she never posted again.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
3.X and Pathfinder are too weighty for my preferences. They're fun enough, but if I can get a rules-light system that lets me do all the same things, I'm happy.

Saigonnus

Auror
I also love the idea of insanity points and random hit locations during combat (which also means you could lose a limb, eye, etc) unlike d&d.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I used the D&D books simply as a guideline of things that were possible, not the end-all, be-all of the rules for the game (I always hated playing with rules lawyers and rarely did for long). I created my own system for critical hits that did include losing fingers/toes/eyes/ears not to mention the ordinary hand/arm etc. My game was definitely more advanced than the rule books. I played BEFORE TSR was bought out by Wizards of the Coast and completely screwed up everything I loved about the game (they made it seem like I was playing an advanced version of Magic; the Gathering. NOT something I found enjoyable in the slightest.

I also played a smidge of battletech with some friends and more of Shadowrun; I really enjoyed the dark urban fantasy/dystopic setting of the game; but truth be told it was a bit limited in many ways and I had to change that game also to make it more enjoyable for me. I also never really liked the use of JUST a D6 for everything.

I have to go with RoleMaster from Iron Crown Enterprises. They had the first Lord of the Rings franchise, but I had a campaign set in a fairly gritty Arthurian England. The system gets as deep as you want to go, for instance, players can get experience for traveling to places they've never been, even if they don't kill anything. With the combat system you could target a specific body part, which meant you could lose body parts.

Honorable mention goes to Wraith: The Oblivion, but only because I've never played it. I have all the books, but never found people I trusted enough to share the experience.

And a shout out to West End Games, always a blast to play something of theirs: Paranoia, Junta, Ghostbusters....

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I liked Paranoia well enough. Never tried the others. I've wanted to try RoleMaster. Some time in the next couple of months I may try the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.

Hey! give me a break! I'm 16. It's the only edition of D&D Barnes and Noble had. Besides, I'm part of the D&D forums. i know what other players feel about D&D 4e. :p

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hey! give me a break! I'm 16. It's the only edition of D&D Barnes and Noble had. Besides, I'm part of the D&D forums. i know what other players feel about D&D 4e. :p

I'm just messin' with you. It's true, I'm not a 4e fan, but I have friends who like it and I have nothing against anyone enjoying any version of the game :)

I like the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, personally, because it is nice and dangerous. For d20 games, I like rules-light stuff like Castles & Crusades. Apparently D&D Next is supposed to appeal to everyone no matter what edition they like, so that should be cool.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Really? I heard 5th edition is going to be the worst. I have no intention of buying it.

It might be, for the very reason that they are going to try to please people who like all edition. I suspect I'll like 5e better than 4e, because it will have some of the elements I prefer from earlier games. But it will probably make more sense to just keep playing the earlier games.

13th Age is probably where a lot of 4e fans are going to end up if they don't just keep playing 4e or jump to 5e.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It won't just be retro. They're pulling in 4e elements. You can't really believe what is on the 4e boards, they seem a bit unreasonable about 5e. The play test materials have been mostly for a base system to build around. My concern is that it will just be a mess that pleases no one because they are trying to please everyone. I guess we'll see. I've played every edition so I'm sure I'll give this one a try.

Zenke

Scribe
I've played a good bit of 3.5 D&D, and almost played 4e. I've never heard of tabletop games other than D&D, but then i discovered warhammer 40k Deathwatch, and i fell in love, possibly because you get to play as the most bad ass thing the imperium has to offer. Space marines are insane. The first time we played, I ended up eating a tau pilot and stealing one of their battleships, i think it was a mantra. I then used it to decimate everything in the tau base. Slightly over the top but it was epic none the less. And that is why I love Deathwatch.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
All of the Warhammer stuff is great. The 40K RPGs, from Dark Heresy through Rogue Trader and Death Watch. If you like that style, you may like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay better than D&D (I recommend going with the second edition; I think PDFs are coming out if they aren't already out). It has the deadliness and dangerous magic typical of the Warhammer universe.

Zenke

Scribe
I'll look into them. I am getting bored of D&D sadly, so this might be a good replacement. It'll be a while before my rpg group is back together, but I'll mention it to them.