• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fighting against depression

Oddly, I listen to loud, violent, depressing songs when I'm depressed, and somehow that makes me feel better. Tool, NIN, and Metallica appear a lot on my playlist when that happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hopefully the Metallica is all black album or before, or your level of depression will increase!

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Kitty pics and gifs are always a nice little pick-me-up.

eadDJ.gif

Alva

Scribe
I'm familiar with major depression and anxiety, myself. During the worst of times I either sleep around the clock or can't sleep for days. Lack of sleep has a nice, dulling effect during nighttime, but in the end of the day or week (or month) I'm feeling like drowning.

Lately I've found out listening to audiobooks is quite calming. Also, doodling during the lectures is one of the most relaxing things in the world. During lecture hours my thoughts usually stop racing around and it feels like my brains are able to take a break from jumping from random topics to topics to topics to topics. It's like sleeping eyes wide open and understanding every word that is being said. I like to listen to music and to read whenever I'm able to concentrate. Writing is something I do every single day. I don't care if it's a paragraph or ten pages as long as I keep writing.

I'd really like to enjoy walking or running but - unfortunately - I just don't. I bike a lot, though. And what comes to food: when I'm down I couldn't care less for eating or prepering a meal. The food doesn't even taste anything. Nonetheless, I'd like to think of myself as a quite a cheery personality. I highly value a good conversation, love to chat with my sister over the facebook and enjoy petting my roomie's cat, afterall.

- - -

Concerning on my music choices, Pogo is one my favourites when in a foul mood. The type of his music is far from my usual pick, but somehow his pieces tend to make me smile. I'm linking Whisperlude here (never seen the movie, by the way, I simply admire the rhythm) but I also recommend Alice, Upular and White Magic among others. I had difficult time deciding which one to choose.

Alva

Scribe
In regards to Pogo still, when I originally introduced my sister to Pogo's music, I made her to try tell the movies/TV-series that each song was based on. It was a lot of fun. : )

And I forgot a youtube song list playing on the background and happened to stumble upon my all time favourite from Pogo, Bloom:

The atmosphere in this song always makes me think of one of my characters. : D

Sorry for spamming... I'll stop now.

SlimShady

Troubadour
When I get depressed I usually just go to bed and sleep. But, sometimes I workout because that automatically makes you happier. Or I'll just got hit the punching bag a few times or find someone that wants to box.

laurencewins

Dreamer
Depression isn't easy to handle at times. Sometimes you have to let yourself be depressed for a short while and it will pass. Generally, distractions are the best way to help yourself out of the hole. I am glad that I am only on low doses of meds now compared to 7 years ago and I hope that I never go back to that dark place again.
There are also websites online dedicated to mental illness and support and you can chat to others. I used to moderate in several of them and they really do help people.

SeverinR

Vala
Oddly, I listen to loud, violent, depressing songs when I'm depressed, and somehow that makes me feel better. Tool, NIN, and Metallica appear a lot on my playlist when that happens.

I've done that.
Godsmack, FFDP, long ago it was the Violent fems,

at work my wallpaper is of my dog sleeping, it is so relaxing to see the picture of her sleeping, I am less stressed.

On the reverse, I listen to Medieval music era music and relax.

Stairway to heaven on a harp:
Stairway to Heaven on Harp - full version • VideoSift: Online Video *Quality Control

Aravelle

Sage
I sometimes sing and spend time with my pets [especially cuddling]. Music is my oxygen, but I listen to it so much that it does little to cheer me up. If I don't listen for a few days, it's like hearing it for the first time.

I have depression and a pretty bad case of anxiety. Hell, I'm anxious as I write this.

Last edited: