• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greetings

Mythmaker

Acolyte
I'm new to Mythic Scribes, but not to fantasy storytelling. I'm in my forties now and have been trying to write since the 70's; but I don't consider that failure. Rather, I think that writing requires elements that sometimes come through life experiences and now I am ready to sit down and use them in my writing. I am a fan of the greats like Tolkien, Dragonlance and such; over the last few years I got into WoW and realized that I had not written in quite some time and that's how I found Mythic Scribes. I hope that as a group we can motivate, constructively correct, and eventually see some of our names on the spines of books everywhere.

Parqstu

Minstrel
Hello, Mythmaker! Good to see you.

I'm glad you're ready to write now, we're all here to help. I also like your ambitions for the site :).
By WoW do you mean World of Warcraft?

Welcome, welcome! It's good to see that there are more of us out there!

Which part of the Dragonlance series did you favor? Or did you like all of it? I read the Meetings Sextet and the Chronicles growing up. My brother was more into the series than I was, but I've read them again in my mid-20's, so I have a better apprecitation for them now.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Hey Mythmaker!

It's great having you join us.

I hope that as a group we can motivate, constructively correct, and eventually see some of our names on the spines of books everywhere.

Amen!

Mythmaker

Acolyte
Replies...

Thank you all for your kind words and welcomes. Let's see; Dragonlance books any and all are favorites ( I have 8 kids and 2 of my sons who are 12 and 10 are reading the same books I read so many years ago.) WoW is World of Warcraft in this case, and we spend quite a few hours playing a week, which is why my interests in writing resurfaced. I think I was in the middle of playing WoW when my kids and my wife said "You used to make up stories that were better than this, why don't you anymore?" So, I introduced the boys to Dragonlance, Dungeons and Dragons, and some of the classics. Every now and then we sit back and watch LOTR together.

Behelit

Troubadour
Welcome Mythmaker.

Good to have you here. By all means, write! :)

Have you ever had your sons produce and tell their own stories? Even if just short stories. I think that would be pretty constructive and fun for them. Maybe they'd resist at first since the task is daunting, but I'm sure they'd eventually get into it.

I appreciate that you introduce them to more outstanding works than the books that are normally assigned to their age range. I tend to feel that a lot of children aren't challenged enough when it comes to literacy, or any academic field now that I mention it. I digress...

Mythmaker

Acolyte
We home school our kids, 6 are currently in school and only 1 of those is in public school. So, we have round robin type story telling to get their juices flowing and with D&D we do the same. I will take your advice, thank you by the way, and start putting it down on paper. I see you are from Cali, I was born and raised in Carson, ever heard of it?

Behelit

Troubadour
I have heard of Carson. I am just on the other side of Long Beach. I don't get over that way much though. :)

What state managed to steal you away from your hometown?

Mythmaker

Acolyte
Joined the military back in 88 and got stationed at Ft Bragg NC in 89. In a nutshell I found my wife and we had 8 kids together and found NC to be the best fit for us... Went home to LA 13 yrs ago and 9 yrs ago. Lived in Wilmington in 97 and Rialto in 2003. get back to you after work

Mythmaker

Acolyte
I moved to NC when I got staioned at Ft bragg back in 88.... Pretty soon I'll have a day off and get involved the way I need to. Looks like Tuesday, I spent my last four days off moving to a new section of town....