• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is it about nano?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
What is it about nano that gets me fired up like nothing else? It's like I wait for the grueling pace to begin anew before I can work on that project I just CAN'T get over.

I'm gearing up for an awesome November, and anyone who wants to join me, please post your nano name here so we can keep in touch.

I'm Anihow, by the wy :) Hope you all are as excited as I am!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Yesterday signs about the Nano appeared on the stairs at work - I keep forgetting we have an English department 1 floor up...

Butterfly

Auror
Well, I thought I'd give it a go this year... don't know if it'll be a success or not. We'll see.

I'm Enderonne - Don't know why... it's one of those things that just popped into my head.

JCFarnham

Auror
If you must, look for fatal_velocity. I don't know if I'll take it seriously this year (I'll certainly visit the forums daily mind you ;) how could I not). The point is I don't know if I have anything to participate with. Should really finish what I have before starting a new project...

I'm strongly leaning towards writing the sequel to last year's NaNovel mind you. Perhaps doing it before finalising the first is a mistake, but I could see it going the other way too; Helping to focus me on the end game, so to speak.

Alternatively I could put some "episodes" of my serial under my belt. What do you guys think? A part of a novel, or 50k of episodic serial fiction?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
One of my goals is to finish my first draft of my WIP by October 31st. If I can do that, I'll feel free to start NaNoWriMo in November. I like doing it, but I try not to take my efforts too seriously. I've done it four years so far, and every year I've hit the 50K (in November anyway, I don't count Camp NaNo), but only once have I had anything salvageable to make into a real novel. I think I'm going to go simpler this year and see what happens. Most of my other efforts have been a bit more involved.

JCFarnham

Auror
I've decided to go the serial route. My not-so-guilty love of '90s television scifi (and rewatching Voyager) has over ridden my need to desparately finish any of my novels.

Either way I've been meaning to write more short fiction, so ... win-win.

Now I just need to spend october coming up with 50k worth of ideas for short stories lasting about 3000-4000. Didn't say it was going to be easy haha.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I like your idea JC. I've done a "novel" every year so far, but I think may use this time to do short stories instead. Maybe a long one, at about 10K and then smaller ones. I may use the same characters in the stories so they're at least somewhat the same. I sort of did that one year when I did a sort of Cantebury Tales style deal. I liked it at the time, but I'm sure it reads really bizarre. Maybe if I use a framing device then I can tie all my stories together somehow anyway.

JCFarnham

Auror
A framing device is probably a must in the case of NaNo. Having a overarching plot would I suppose help keep your drive up in order to get to the end of it.

Being that I'm writing what is essentially a "novelisation" of a tv-style scifi series (albeit one of my own devising) I have that frame to write in. Still.. I need those filler episodes. A lot of them could very well stand alone. You know, I'm not even sure I want to stop at one "season" either, but that might be getting ahead of myself. So far these episodes have been very quick to draft.

I'm excited. Which is good if I'm going to sustain this over thirty days ;)

Graylorne

Archmage
I did NaNo in 2010, and I'm thinking of using it this year as an excuse to focus on Scarfar for a whole month. The redaction of Revenaunt 2 should be finished by then, as is the English translation of Revenaunt 1. Luxury problem, perhaps, but I dearly want a change for a while.

Muqtada

Scribe
Anihow, I think I might've met you somewhere in NaNo. I'm JamesComstock.

Have a vague idea of what I'm doing for NaNo but it's not fully formed and I really like it so I'm worried about destroying it in my frenzy to make word count (which is what happened last year).

Jabrosky

Banned
Can't wait for November to begin. I already have an idea of what I'll work on this year:

Sekhmethotep, the proud young Pharaoh of Kametu, wants to curtail the corrupt Priesthood of the Sun's swollen power by redistributing their wealth to more needy people. In retaliation the Priests have her abducted and sold to Hyborian slavers, who ship her across the Western Ocean to the sugercane plantations of Atlantis. There the former Pharaoh must protect what remains of her dignity from the whips and slurs of a brutal regime of racialized oppression. Can she liberate herself and her fellow slaves and reclaim her former throne?

Ophiucha

Auror
I somehow finished a solid draft for my werewolf story midst all the cross-country moving I've been doing, and I need a break from that before I do a final draft and edit, so I'll probably be doing NaNo. I enjoy a healthy sense of competition, and secretly aspire to be about 100 words over my friends at all times. I've always been dreadfully competitive, and between the word count meters and the word wars, there's plenty of competition around to force out a first draft.

They're planning over in the Writing Groups subforum on the NaNo site to have a House Cup of sorts between the Hogwarts houses, with word wars as 'quidditch' points and word count as regular old house points. That could be fun. (Go, Go, Slytherin!) Oh, and I'm Ophiucha on the NaNo site.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
That's a great idea with the Hogwarts houses. Can you pick which one you can join? I need to go check out the NaNo forums. Haven't been in a while.

Sparkie

Auror
Now that I'm in, I'm starting to get excited about it. It'll be tough with my schedule, but I'll have fun.

I'm SparkiesRevenge, by the way.

Drasn

Dreamer
My username for nano is thomasgray. Not sure how active I'll be there, plan on doing major writing sessions and usually avoid all distractions.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've been doing NaNo for 3 or 4 years, I've lost count. I'm on self-imposed deadline for my WIP, so no new projects for me this year (Rebels FTW!). My name over there is also A. E. Lowan.

C

Chessie

I'm Dohvakiin2012 on NaNo. I look forward to an awesome writing November and good luck to all! :)