• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon's Dogma

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Just ordered this game and I'm looking forward to it. I've heard mixed things about its problems, but I think the good outweighs the bad in this case, so I went ahead and bought it.

Anyone else played it? Thoughts?

Honestly, I like it. The only problem I've had with it so far is the annoying A.I's that talk to you every two seconds while in combat.

The different classes you can be gives this game a real edge to it. Bored playing a ranger? Switch it too a Knight at any time. Changing the class isn't even over powered, you don't get any good armour to start out with so you should be good.

Overall, I like the majority of the game. Everyone has a different opinion.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I read something that says you can make them stop talking somehow. Maybe that's not true. In any case, I think if the game overall is pretty good, I can deal with annoying AI chattering constantly. I'm interested in trying out the different classes. They all sound pretty cool. I especially liked the videos I saw of the Mystic Knight which is like a warrior combined with magic.

Thanks for the feedback. Really looking forward to trying this out. I'm on a big Monster Hunter kick at the moment as well, so I think more Capcom will be good for me. :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I won a contest to name a pawn. If you ever run into a pawn named "Tusk H. Tuesday," that's my pawn.

I used to be on the Capcom Unity boards, and I once held a weekly Monster Hunter event called Tusk Hunt Tuesday, hence the pawn's full name. But I never did get any confirmation that winning names would actually be used in-game. I get the feeling they won't be.

I like that the fighter/warrior can throw allies in the air so they can grapple monsters. (Assuming that hasn't changed.) I so wish the game were multiplayer, but it definitely looks like a fun single-player game.

shangrila

Inkling
I tried playing it but I gave up after a while, for two reasons. Firstly, as said above, the god damn NPCs don't shut up. And, worse, they repeat the same things over and over. It's beyond annoying.

And secondly, there's no fast travel. I understand there's a way around that but, honestly, even with the stones you can buy there's just too much walking. I can't stand it. So I went onto Dragon Age Origins and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
@shangrila: Those are the two biggest concerns I had with getting the game. I heard the lack of fast travel is sort of bizarre for people who are used to it and the NPCs that never stop talking gets really annoying. I think I can handle both of those things, even though they'll certainly bother me, there are things about Dragon's Age and Skyrim that also annoy me, but I've stuck with those games.

@Sidekick: I'll look out for Tusk. That would be awesome to get him for my party. I'll throw him off a cliff and crash him through walls. :)

shangrila

Inkling
@shangrila: Those are the two biggest concerns I had with getting the game. I heard the lack of fast travel is sort of bizarre for people who are used to it and the NPCs that never stop talking gets really annoying. I think I can handle both of those things, even though they'll certainly bother me, there are things about Dragon's Age and Skyrim that also annoy me, but I've stuck with those games.
I wish you luck with that but, you should know, I thought the exact same thing. I thought the boss battles and general enjoyment of the combat would outweigh all the walking and stuff. But, in my opinion, it doesn't.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'm sort of into Monster Hunter, which is another game that you have to walk around for a long time looking for stuff and it mildly annoys me. Plus, the version I have (a Japanese only version) has these two cats that follow you around and constantly make meowing sounds. They never stop!

In any case, I haven't stopped playing Monster Hunter yet. The game is on it's way now, so if it annoys me too much, it wouldn't be the first game I bought that was disappointing (Mass Effect 3's ending for instance).

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I got the game this weekend and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm getting killed a ton, but oh well. I haven't found the pawn chatter annoying yet. I guess I have a high threshold for that kind of stuff. I also haven't had to deal with fast travel. I'm having enough fun fighting monsters for now, so running around and doing so doesn't bother me much...yet.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I haven't found the pawn chatter annoying yet.
That's because you haven't met Tusk. If Capcom designed him right, he won't shut up, he'll throw you at flying monsters, and he'll attract a lot of attention as he charges recklessly into battle. If he gives you a command, do something slightly different, since either following his orders exactly or doing the opposite might get you killed.

(I honestly don't think any of the winning pawn names made it into the game. Just clarifying in case I sound a little cocky about "my" character showing up.)