• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

boxing terminology in fight scenes

Harbinger

Troubadour
I was just wondering if reading terms like 'cross', 'hook' or 'straight' would throw a reader off. I know boxing is an old sport but I was worried using these words would sound too modern. Normally i use phrases like 'hard left' or 'overhand' but that can get repetitive after awhile.

Gurkhal

Auror
Well it depends on what kind of narrative you're using, partially. I personally wouldn't mind it but if you're writing from the perspective of someone who shouldn't have insight into boxing terminology it might come off as odd.

Harbinger

Troubadour
Ya thats what I was thinking. Just when in the perspective of a soldier/fighter type. Sentences like "he threw a hard cross to the man's temple'' or ''clipped his chin with a hook''. Those images are clearer to me, though I guess they might sound weird to a reader unfamiliar with the lingo.

I've never seen anyone complain about fencing terms used to describe swordfighting. Boxing terms for fistfighting don't seem all that different.

Kit

Maester
I don't box, but all three terms that you used in this example are familiar enough to me. I think such things as "cross" strikes, etc are commonly generic concepts to most "striking" type fighting arts.

SlimShady

Troubadour
I used to box and spar with a few people. Telegraphing is a pretty good term that means you see the punch coming before it's thrown. A jab, a hook, and an uppercut are all boxing strikes.

Ghost

Inkling
I wouldn't use telegraph in most of my stories because it wouldn't make sense unless telegraphs exist in the setting, but the other terms wouldn't bother me.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I was just wondering if reading terms like 'cross', 'hook' or 'straight' would throw a reader off. I know boxing is an old sport but I was worried using these words would sound too modern. Normally i use phrases like 'hard left' or 'overhand' but that can get repetitive after awhile.

If those are the words your character would use then they're perfectly fine. If you change them, it could ring false for your character.