• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Poetry

Lorna

Inkling
Hi, I'm just wondering whether there's anybody else out there interested in poetry? I recall a couple of months back there were a few posting on the poetry thread (Ireth, Jon Snow, Ghost, Gavin Tonks). Is anybody else writing mythic / fantastic poems, attempting to get published online or in small press magazines or self publishing in print, on a website or blog etc? If so I'd like to hear from you.

wildink

Dreamer
I have been considering writing a poetry book but I only have two poems which neither are fantasy poems however I think writing fantasy poems would be fun I'm just not sure where I would start.

Lorna

Inkling
@ Wildink

I'd check out the poetry in some online magazines. These are some of my favourites for fantasy poetry.

NEWMYTHS.COM
Heroic Fantasy Quarterly - Prose. Poetry. Pulp.
Goblin Fruit: Fall 2012

I draw my inspiration from a combination of British and local myth, the Romantics and contemporary eco-poetry.

Some people think rhyme and metre are obsolete. I'm of the opinion you need to know the rules, even if you're going to break them. A great book for learning the basics is Stephen Fry's An Ode Less Travelled.

If you fancy posting something for comments / critique there is a poetry thread in the showcase :)

Chilari

Staff
I have written some poetry before. I tried a challenge to write a poem a day for the month of April a couple of years back. Got half way through the month before dropping the challenge and I'm quite happy with some of what I wrote, but I haven't written much since then. I might give it another go when my current short stories and articles are done. And I definitely think I'll have a look at the book you've recommended, Lorna; Stephen Fry has quite a way with words so that's definitely something I'd be interested in reading.

Aravelle

Sage
I have/had a relatively popular deviantart where I poured out my heart and soul. I can't bring myself to write poetry anymore without it sounding like poetic diarrhea. I wish I knew what happened, it was therapeutic for me. Seems I can't think on stories and write poetry at the same time :I

Ghost

Inkling
Seems I can't think on stories and write poetry at the same time :I

Same here. I can't do fiction, poetry, and music in a day. They come in phases.

I haven't submitted poems in a couple of months. I started stressing myself out, which is normal, but it shifted my focus from other things. Two markets still have my submissions, but the odds against acceptance are so great I've stopped stalking my inbox.

wildink

Dreamer
Thanks Lorna I will have to check those suggestions out. I have all week next week to do just that.

Lorna

Inkling
@ Aravelle

Seems I can't think on stories and write poetry at the same time

Like Ghost I agree. The way of finding inspiration and crafting a poem are completely different to writing stories or a novel. Whilst for me a novel's a long slog in front of the computer for hours a day I find with poems it's more a case of spending time in nature and reading until the ideas come together like a new constellation needing to be written then going to the computer and finding a form to inable it to manifest. Completely different altogether.

Ravana

Istar
I do poetry as well–both interspersed in longer works and stand-alone, and not limited to fantasy only. In fact, I was writing (and publishing) poetry well before my focus shifted to prose.

I would either disagree with, or else have different experiences from, those saying they can't think on prose and poetry at the same time… I find my sense of poetry enhancing my prose, in terms of language usage and style. The reason I like to lean away from the subjective "different experience" is that some of the authors I respect and seek to emulate the most have made the same observation: Roger Zelazny, in particular, was a lifelong advocate of poetry "informing" writing style.

So even if you don't write poetry, you may find it useful to… "think poetically," I guess… when it comes to how you write your prose. The sense of rhythm, of flow, of connection of sound–all these and more can play a part in any piece of writing. (Conversely, the more you're aware of these, the less likely you are to do them accidentally when you don't want to, and the more likely you'll be able to spot and alter them.)

Last edited by a moderator:

wildink

Dreamer
I don't know if this will help but the one poem I did get published started as a series of sentences about a subject that I evebtually fit togrther till they fit together.

Sharonlee

Hello... I write poetry in many themes. Fantasy poetry is a great love of mine. I'd love a group to share it in.

Sharonlee

Lorna

Inkling
Hi Sharonlee, I'd be up for sharing and critiquing poetry. My poetry's more mythic than fantasy but the dividing line is so blurry it barely matters. I'd be happy to do this in a thread on the showcase or via private message. If this sounds like something you would be interested in let me know.