• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Talk About Your 2012 NaNo

This will be my first NaNo...
I was looking back at past years and realized that this will be my first official NaNo! I've never even registered before. I just always did it on my own.

...and I am setting myself up to fail because I have a LOT on my plate this year -_- oh well!

soulless

Troubadour
Been looking through my notes today, fixed a few problems. Gonna start fleshing out my outline soon, maybe tomorrow if I get through the rest of my notes.

Hypervorean

Scribe
Hey, I have a question!

I am seriously thinking about doing this nano thing this year (for the first time), but do you need to start a new story or does it still count if you write 50,000 words on your ongoing novel project?

I was at first thinking about writing something completely new, but I would really rather focus on my current WIP, I think.

And maybe I should work on the number of times I say "think" in one post. I really do think too much.. ;)

Hey, I have a question!

I am seriously thinking about doing this nano thing this year (for the first time), but do you need to start a new story or does it still count if you write 50,000 words on your ongoing novel project?

I was at first thinking about writing something completely new, but I would really rather focus on my current WIP, I think.

And maybe I should work on the number of times I say "think" in one post. I really do think too much.. ;)

I believe they cover this in the "rules" of NaNo. My understanding is it needs to be started and ended in November. But unless you are trying to "win", then my opinion is feel free to use NaNo as inspiration to do your 50K add-on to your existing.

wildink

Dreamer
Yep you have to start something completely new for nano but you can be a rebel and work on something you have already started.

Hypervorean

Scribe
Okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I will just be jumping forward to the second part of the story then and write it like it is going to be a separate book (which it actually might be depending on the length). Not that it should matter, but I do like to try and follow the rules when I play a game :)

Graylorne

Archmage
Okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I will just be jumping forward to the second part of the story then and write it like it is going to be a separate book (which it actually might be depending on the length). Not that it should matter, but I do like to try and follow the rules when I play a game :)

Don't worry, NaNo doesn't mind. They even have a forum for so-called Rebels (NaNo Rebels | National Novel Writing Month).

I checked, as I'm doing exactly like you. I can't afford to start yet another novel to go with my Scarfar WIP and the works I'm having real deadlines for.

So read the forums, write write write, validate and be proud of yourself :)

After visiting the forums Graylorne just linked to above, I stumbled upon the special offers.

There are some relatively nice special offers available, that become EXTREMELY nice if you are a NaNo winner (20% to 50%). I haven't really evaluated many of these programs, but just the fact that they are available is nice to know and something to strive for.

soulless

Troubadour
I was under the impression, from the NaNo site, that previous working on a story for which you already have outlines and planning are ok, as long as you haven't yet gotten underway with the actual prose. Did I misunderstand something?

I was under the impression, from the NaNo site, that previous working on a story for which you already have outlines and planning are ok, as long as you haven't yet gotten underway with the actual prose. Did I misunderstand something?

I think Graylorne's link covers this. Planning and outlining is fine, but the question being asked earlier was about continuing an additional 50K in an ongoing novel, which is why we said that is "against the rules". Even then though, NaNo is relatively flexible. Read the "Am I a Rebel" forum sticky (recalling title by memory, so may be slightly different).

MAndreas

Troubadour
Ah, the smell of NaNo madness in the air! This will be my fourth naNo, but my very first book EVER that I'm plotting....as in big board with sticky notes, 3 act/8 sequence structure, the whole shebang...it could turn really really ugly (am I kind of freakishly liking my sticky notes and board though- could be psychological issues on my part- and act 1 has been revamped 4.5 times already-LOL.).
Any way here's a blurb for what it is...now anyway ;). Yeah, pretty pat at this point, alot more going on in theory-LOL! You can find me on NaNo under the same name as here (mandreas) just look for my ice bat logo :))

The Four Dragons of the Apocalypse
When a fallen female knight gets set up for murders she didn’t commit, she thinks her life is as low as it can get; then she finds out how wrong she is. Betrayed and shipwrecked with three heroes of the realm, she and they have to find away to liberate the world from an ancient force of evil. Even if that means destroying a kingdom or two along the way.

Drasn

Dreamer
This is the blurb I'm working with at the moment:

Two sisters flee their homeland into a broken world. The girl's arrival gives weight to a thousand year old promise, filling many with hope and even more with fear. Pursued by forces from both worlds, the sisters work to undo the damage they have caused while desperately trying to keep each other alive.

myrddin173

Maester
This year's NaNo project for me is actually last year's NaNo project. Since I ended up failing spectacularly, only finishing about 13,000 words, I plan on continuing from where I left off. Naturally I won't be counting last year's words and when I finish I plan on going back to the beginning and re-writing the scenes I wrote last year. That way I don't feel bad about breaking the rules.

Oh I should talk about what it is about, shouldn't I? Well, the world that the protagonist is lives in is part of the seal of a prison full of people that interfered with the Deep Magics. However there is a faction that wants to destroy the seal sending the inhabitants of the prison and the protagonist's world back to the dimension they originally came from. In order to prevent this from happening the protagonist leads an expedition to recreate the spell that created the seal in the first place which will require a piece of magic from each of the seven tribes. First up are the Dwarves and their Stone magic.

Mine's not fantasy (shock and surprise) so it doesn't qualify on a fantasy board. Sci-fi metaphysical thriller... With shiny puppies.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My writing partner and I are splitting off and working on 2 completely separate projects this year. This is her first official NaNo, and my third (though I failed spectactularly last year, so maybe I shouldn't count it ;) ). I am continuing our WIP, while she is doing something completely new, and as of this writing only half plotted (eek!).

My WIP is the first book in our urban fantasy series involving the fictional city of Seahven, WA, Faerie Rising. Winter Mulcahy is the last wizard in the city and all that stands between the fractious preternatural population and total chaos. Barely holding the city together by the skin of her teeth and the blood of her friends, the young wizard is approached by a pair of Sidhe lords who claim that her city is harboring a fugitive who has kidnapped a Sighe prince, and that they are on a mission to rescue him. Winter must investigate this fugitive and get to the truth of the kidnapping, and in doing so uncovers a plot years in the laying to rip Seahaven from the fabric of the mortal realm and forge it into a Faerie Realm here on Earth.

So far I am about 8 chapters in, so I won't be officially competing this year, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and feverish inspiration that comes from playing the NaNo game!

I am also aelowan on the NaNoWriMo site.

Last edited:

Weaver

Sage
This will be my first time doing a story for NaNoWriMo. A friend asked me to be his writing buddy, and it seemed like the right thing to do.

Mine is fantasy, at least on the surface. Pseudo-medieval setting and everything. :) Is it possible to have a true fantasy novel that's connected, directly or indirectly, to stories that are science fiction or thrillers or whatever? The one I've chosen to write for NaNo is, as I told Loyal Reader/Writing Buddy, the other side of the coin for my sci-fi WiP. I'm writing it now because I am going to need that story soon anyway: it's backstory for characters who will appear in the sequel to the sci-fi novel (and who have already appeared in a couple of my short stories as well as one of my clone-sibling's novels).

For those who care (I'm sure there are people from Mythic Scribes who would welcome the chance to see me publicly humiliated when I fail), on NaNoWriMo I'm going by my real name, Thomas Weaver. The title of my novel is Changing Magic.

Jes

Dreamer
My NaNo, The Poison King, is a traditional high fantasy novel, set in a world where there are only four races - two of which are of my own creation. A synopsis:

The Canil Academy is the most prestigious learning center on the continent. The solitary instructor, Aslm Canil, chooses eight elven children to become his students once every century. He is an ancient creature said to have sold his soul to the very Spirits of the land for longevity so that he may continue to teach the elven youth of the forest for eternity.

The newest group of students to join the Canil Academy soar above the expectations of their proud and noble families. Before their long-awaited graduation ceremony can take place, however, chaos consumes their forest home and leaves death in its wake. Leading figures are assassinated. Students are murdered in their sleep. Those left behind mourn in bitter confusion.

When all seems lost, whispers of a great evil reach them on the lips of criminals. The Poison King has set his sights on the elven forest, Cathe'enall, and delivers a simple message: the elves will submit to his rule or find their minds enslaved by the dark sorcery he wields. Guided by the power of the All-God and the Spirits of the land itself, the students of the Academy must gather their strength, knowledge, and allies if they wish any hope of preventing the complete intellectual annihilation of their people.

On the NaNoWriMo site, I'm simply known as Jes Peterson.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I changed my idea. I think my original idea is maybe too ambitious for NaNo (I'm going to save it for when I have more time), so I'm going to try something simpler, I hope. It's about a pacifist sword swallower who wants to ingest all the weapons in his area so that there will be no more war. He must confront a warlord weaponsmith and a mythical creature that absorbs dead bodies into its form.

And he can regurgitate metal creatures after swallowing the weapons. Kind of weird, but whatever. :)

theoddsock

I've done NaNo a couple of times, but only won once.
In an effort to write something a little less dark than what I normally manage, this year I'm going to do a love story about two dogs, aimed at fairly young children. This is completely new and scary for me, so we'll see what happens. I suppose it's fairly loosely fantasy if you count something like 101 Dalmations as fantasy.
Everyone else's ideas seem really interesting, I want to read them all! Good luck everyone, not long left before it starts here.