• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone else starting to stress about NaNo?

I kind of don't get it.... I could write a lot of words in a day, but it would probably be utter tosh.

It is more of the challenge for me at times. If I feel challenged, I will rise up to it. I wrote 25k in one day last year. Now it's time to see if I can do it again. The faster I can turn it over, the more ideas I can get out (even if it might be utter tosh).

Hmm. You only write for 45 minutes at a time? This is a very small amount of time to work! You figure (at least in America) the average workday is 8 hours. IF you want to write for a living, I would recommend at least 8 hours a day of work time (although there will be research, business crap, marketing and more mixed in with the writing). I would think that the only way you could ever manage to do NaNo is if you quadrupled your time and somehow managed to get more productive. Are you ADHD or lack focus or interest? Sorry if I am forgetting, but have you finished a novel?

I know before my first published novel (which was a couple of books in, actually), it was very difficult for me to sit and work. I found good writing music and an abundance of coffee (and sometimes pipe tobacco) was the key to increasing my output (I have pretty bad ADHD in fact, so without the stimulants, I have a pretty rough time).

After I made it through those novels though, I found that I could sit and bust out thousands of words. In fact, I think this is one of the goals of NaNo, to increase people's experience to the point that they are able to continue doing this.

In the last week, I've been making sure I'm writing hardcore (I have about 6 essay/short story/novella release dates in the next few months and haven't finished the first drafts yet o_O well, with one exception). I sit down around midnight and write until 2 or 3 in the morning, usually writing at least 2000 words, and sometimes upwards of 4000. (EDIT: I wrote 13.5K words in three days, so I guess I am averaging higher than this -_-) This is the best time for me to write, but it may not be a good time for you. Find the times that work for you. Find the routines that work for you.

And finally, not to be rude, but learn to type faster. When I am trying, I type 100 wpm. I estimate my average focused wpm to be around 70-80. And that is sustainable so long as I don't run out of words in my head (which is hard for me...I tend to have more words than The Doctor...now if only I could type as fast as I talk!) Maybe invest in a DVORAK keyboard and start using that. They say it is better for carpal tunnel/Repetitive Stress Injuries and you type faster too.