• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The best break-up ever.

Rikilamaro

Inkling
Hmm. Wow.

I don't think my characters will be going in that direction, but I appreciate the fodder for ideas, X. :)

Aren't families grand?

dangit

Scribe
I had it all written up, started thinking about it...and decided not to go there. But...

Mine ended with my pregnant GF (by me) tracking down and marrying a guy who treated her like dirt for five years (ex-con who decided that a wife would look make him look good in the eyes of the law). Saw my daughter maybe five times in the first five years of her life.

My brothers breakup was epic, involving her having nasty hallucinations brought on from taking the meds intended for her children - meds issued by the freaking school system. Highlights (?) include her tearing apart their place searching for recording equipment, a hallucinated bear attack (a tale in and of itself), and the time she called up my Pa to inform him she had a gun at my brothers head - except my brother was over at Dad's place at the time, nowhere near her. That took lots of expensive court visits to resolve.

Sorry I shouldn't laugh:bounce:.

topazfire

Minstrel
I don't think you need to write her as mean in order to have a break up scene. If she truly cares about him and he is a bit of a loose cannon, her being unordinarily mean may set him off.

That being said, everyone can be a little mean in their own way, so hopefully you have written a well rounded character. Just something to think about: how do you write her when she is PMSing? I'm sure she (like all girls) can get a little mean then. Even if you don't actually write 'oh it's that time of the month', it is something to consider in the back of your mind.

I have had both the 'I'm bored with you' break up as well as the 'I don't think this is right and I'm a little afraid of you' situation. Both are awkward, heart wrenching, frustrating, and a miriad of other things. At some point, what needs to be said, gets said, and as was noted above, it is the reaction that really shows how people move forward or not depending on their personality and feelings.

Hope that helps a bit. I look forward to reading what you come up with!

Hi,

We live in the internet age and I hear tell there's these internet break up sites. I've seen them on some damned news show or another. You know the sort, you ask for someone to do the break up for you, and they send out someone with a break up card and maybe if you're really unlucky, a poem! Now that could be funny - especially when you can say things through a faceless internet site that you would never say face to face.

Cheers, Greg.

Reaver

Staff
By that logic then every society and culture in the world is a religion. This website and even writing is a religion too.

Jess A

Archmage
I have a habit of breaking people's hearts. :eek: But I'm not a cruel person. It's not my fault people have fallen in love with me over years of friendship and I've rejected them because I don't feel the same way :D

Can you give a bit more context to your characters? I suppose what usually happens after someone is rejected is them questioning 'why', and 'can we ever be together'. And denial. They just don't seem to get the bloody hint, even when it's not a hint, but a direct 'I don't feel the same way'. Then they might brood and sulk for a while. Avoidance. Awkwardness. Maybe he storms off and gets himself into trouble, and she has to save his arse. Or he tries to make her jealous.

In my experience, sometimes I've been blamed for not feeling the same way or just feeling that the relationship isn't working. So that could cause a fight.

Last edited: