• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I've never done this before...........

Yesterday, my dad wanted me to show him something I was most proud of. Natuarlly, I grabbed my binder with my WIP in it. This binder contained my map, book, papers that had my country's historical background, and my 92 page book on the language I created, along with the letters Christopher Paolini sent me. My dad looked through everything, but thankfully, didn't read my book. He liked what he saw. So that was cool.

Generally, I'm very shy about my work. When I tell people I'm a writer, I get the standard "Oh, that's neat! What are you writing?"

I usually respond with "It's a fantasy." I don't even give the title.

This isn't a bad habit is it? Should I be more open about my work?

WyrdMystic

Inkling
You should definitely be open about what you are doing. Writing a novel is a difficult task and having your friends and family know what you are doing can be a great help - not only for support, but your friends will also understand why you're not going out friday night etc. It lets people know why you are sticking yourself in front of a laptop most nights and also gives them a chance to support and encourage you.

As for sharing your work - share it with whoever you feel comfortable sharing it with. Don't forget the ultimate goal is to share it with the world.

Goog luck! :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Be glad you have a dad that is interested in what you're doing. I was lucky my dad always supported whatever I did regardless if others thought it was silly or not. It's understandable to be shy about what you're doing, but if you find people interested, I'd say share what you come up with. It's always fun to talk with people about whatever you're working on.

I'd say be open about your work when you feel comfortable with it. If it's something you enjoy doing, then your friends and family will likely support you and encourage you, which is a great thing to have for any writer.

I would be grateful your dad takes an interest, and anybody else who will be. My friends didn't understand why writing was more interesting than going out and would nag me. My dad knows I write but he's never asked me about it or to read any of my work, nor does my mum.

I think you should do what you want. I'm not that open about my work because I've never had to be, so when people suddenly do ask, I have no idea what to say, and I feel self-conscience about telling. If being open with people helps you then do it. If you find it hinders your ability to write then don't tell or be vague. There really is no pressure. I think writing is the most personal of all the art forms and I'm not surprised people get protect over their work.

SeverinR

Vala
I would not throw it out at every person I meet.
But mention that you write/working on a book, and if they are interested, then tell them the genre.
If they are still interested, then test the waters further.

Feedback is very important, but getting laughed at before your ready for it, will set you back.

I decided to buy a book on writing a novel from a book store, the clerk laughed at me and asked me how my book was coming along. If I wasn't ready for that reaction I could have been setback by it.

I also met a few people that also write. So don't be overwhelming in trying to find someone to talk to about it, but don't hide it either.

A friend at work encouraged my writing, and happened to have been a teacher. She enlightened me on how bad my grammar and sentence structure was, but also that my writing was good.

Been there, shyly "done" that. Two possible approaches:

When you're still at the early stages of being a writer, you can talk just as if you're "thinking of writing" and such until you decide if this person is someone you want to come out and admit your ambitions to. At that fledgling stage, some people are worth being discreet around.

But sooner or later you need to be able to say "I'm a writer, I'm writing about a man who can hear a whisper a block away and can't remember why" with a straight face, to anyone who asks-- to prove to yourself that you're really writing, to build contacts and potential fans, and to polish those contact-building techniques. If it helps, pick and practice a tagline or two for the project (like the Toastmasters International tip, to be sure you know your opening line), and/or then send the ball back with a question like "So what do you like in a story?"

B_B_Baker

Acolyte
Trusting people with your writing is hard. It can help but also hurt, especially if they don't understand you. I stopped showing my work to everyone because it stunted my progress on the writing. I now only show it to two people. My wife and my cousin. My wife is self-explanatory, my cousin is already published and I respect her opinion.

Show it to people you trust, people you know will be honest about it. A one word reply, relating to genre, is all I give anymore when someone asks what I'm working on.

Good luck to you on your journey.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
You're a writer. There are not many of us, and it is a hard road to walk, especially alone. Walk it with pride, and know you're not the only one.

Of course you're going to be a bit shy about showing your writing to others. When we write, we put part of our souls on paper, vulnerable to the world. Given that, it's amazing anyone publishes at all, but publish we do, because writers also possess a unique combination of humility and hubris that lets us put these little soul-shards of ours on paper, and send them out into the world for strangers to peer at. Embrace it.

A caveat to readers - make sure they like and read the genre you're writing in before you let them read your work. There are conventions that appear in fantasy (and other genre fiction) that are not shared by mainstream fiction. My mother is also a writer, and I trust her editing and evaluations, but she does not read my genre, so she does not get to read anything until it's just about finished. My mother-in-law not only does not read my genre, she doesn't understand it and doesn't like it. She doesn't get to see anything until it is in print. My partner, who is also my writing partner, is my muse and first editor. She gets to read everything, fresh from my feverish little fingers. And my best friend, who loves the genre but is not as educated or as literate as I am. He keeps my language from getting too flowery, and keeps me grounded. He also asks at random intervals "Are these guys queer?" but that's another thread. Find yourself a good first reader who likes you, likes the genre, and is comfortable enough with you to be brutally honest.

Good luck!

JonSnow

Troubadour
I totally understand the shyness about letting others read your writing. I had it for a long time, and still do a little bit. Once I have a finished product I am happy with, I'm not shy about it. But during the process, it makes me nervous. I think the best feedback practice is to find 1-2 people (only use family if you know they will be honest) who KNOW and LIKE the genre, and have read or written a lot themselves. It does you no good to have a friend read your book and say "it's pretty good considering there are goblins". No joke, I actually had somebody say that to me once.

A knowledgeable reader can give you constructive feedback that will actually help your writing, and maybe even spark a new idea here and there. And finally, you have to have thick skin, and not get discouraged if something you wrote doesn't translate well to the reader. Because that will happen.

VanClash

Scribe
I know how it feels, I'm very cautious when I tell people about my writing. I am a young writer, so I feel if I tell someone I write fantasy, they might think "oh, he must have only written 5 pages about dragons. I am worried that my age will make people take less seriously.

JonSnow

Troubadour
I know how it feels, I'm very cautious when I tell people about my writing. I am a young writer, so I feel if I tell someone I write fantasy, they might think "oh, he must have only written 5 pages about dragons. I am worried that my age will make people take less seriously.

Unfortunately, some people will assume you can't write because you're young. Or that you have limited perspective on life (which, to a degree is true. but it doesn't mean you can't be a great writer). I'm 34 and I still get that from co-workers when we talk politics, even though they have no idea how much research I've done to back up my opinions. I got it worse when I was younger. Don't let the age/respect thing discourage you. You can't do anything about it. Just write. If your work is good enough, your age won't matter.

Unfortunately, some people will assume you can't write because you're young. Or that you have limited perspective on life (which, to a degree is true. but it doesn't mean you can't be a great writer). I'm 34 and I still get that from co-workers when we talk politics, even though they have no idea how much research I've done to back up my opinions. I got it worse when I was younger. Don't let the age/respect thing discourage you. You can't do anything about it. Just write. If your work is good enough, your age won't matter.

Honestly, age is just a number. I don't care how old I am. I've read so many books, that I've gained life experiences from their stories. I'll write, no matter how old I am.