• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reverse Earth

Mindfire

Istar
This could make a cool fantasy setting.

tumblrm8ocfgmxdj1qdm5ng.jpg

Hi,

Yeah water might be an issue - after all if the world is two thirds water now, in this it would be one third water two thirds land. That's quite a big jump and I'm not certain I would expect the world to be so green. But I do wonder where they got the contours for the new land from.

Cheers, Greg.

Barsook

Minstrel
It's the ocean's contours of the normal earth. But how did they get the look the land is my question.

I'm intrigued by the separation between the west and east seas. In our world, a sufficiently long (albeit potentially hazardous) ocean voyage can get you to any coast. Here, overland treks would be required for some trade routes.

It could be intriguing to plot out the potential trade routes on this map. Of course, we'd need more information about what resources could be found where . . .

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
I'm intrigued by the separation between the west and east seas. In our world, a sufficiently long (albeit potentially hazardous) ocean voyage can get you to any coast. Here, overland treks would be required for some trade routes.

It could be intriguing to plot out the potential trade routes on this map. Of course, we'd need more information about what resources could be found where . . .

Well I suppose we could extrapolate from what we know about resource locations on regular earth.

Hi Barsook,

Yeah, that's what I meant too. Sorry if I wasn't clear. But how did they decide that on the new land which had been water, they'd have a mountain here or a desert there?

Cheers, Greg.

Graylorne

Archmage
Who says it has to rain?

Assuming the other details (Sun, atmosphere) are the same, it should, only not enough.

Yeah water might be an issue - after all if the world is two thirds water now, in this it would be one third water two thirds land. That's quite a big jump and I'm not certain I would expect the world to be so green.

This is what I meant.

But how did they decide that on the new land which had been water, they'd have a mountain here or a desert there?

The mountains are there already, and the general shape of the ocean bottom has been more or less mapped.

In my imagination I see an extremely rugged country, with many tall mountain ranges and some miles-deep canyons. A dry land, too, with a much smaller population and people living along rivers and lakes, and in oases.

But ofc that 's only my fantasy, so fill it up with jungles or floating crystal cities if you want :)

It's a nice picture, Mindfire. Gives some food for thought...

alien

Dreamer
As a setting, I think it would require a lot of fleshing out within the story and what not.

I mean, reverse Earth, how did that happen? :confused: The reader won't be able to help but compare to uhm, normal Earth. :p

But if you could incorporate it into a plot and eventually a written story, you'd be going somewhere great.