• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon Skin Colors

Barsook

Minstrel
Sorry for linking to my blog (again) but here is the link: Dragzard Colors « World of Torzukarr

The question is asking if using the dragon skin colors and linking up with personally like what you see in DragonLance is it copywrited because it's in written form. Or is it not because we all know that red dragons are hoarders and gold dragons are full of wisdom.

Reactions: Roc

Roc

Troubadour
I don't like the idea that colors relate to certain personalities. Of course, the connotation of a red or black dragon makes you think of an evil one, and a white, blue, or green one could make you think of a friendly one. I found that in Inheritance Series, the author seemed to use this system, as the colors of his dragons match most of the personalities mentioned.

It just doesn't seem very creative or inventive to me to use that system. Interesting website, anyhow.

MadMadys

Troubadour
I don't think you have to worry about copyright on that sort of things because some of those distinctions can really be traced back well before fantasy literature. I mean, black equating to bad is common in a lot of western cultures.

Now, as Roc said, I think having colors = personality is sort of predictable but you can do whatever you like with your own material.

Barsook

Minstrel
Yeah, I know and that's why I posted this post. It's something that really stuck with Dragzards and their skin colors. I guess I should now think about changing it.

And Roc, thanks for the thanks.

Saigonnus

Auror
I tend to use more natural occurring colors for my dragons, ones that would blend in with their environment. I don't refer to them as "red dragons" "black dragons" etc.

For example, I have a flightless dragon I call "Evres Dizrak" in the native tongue (roughly translated to sand devil) that thrives in the desert, with a tan and brown mottled hide. They lie in wait beneath the sand or in caves for prey to come into their territory before they attack; whether it be camels, people or whatever. They have a large territory and patrol often, moving at night more often than not.

I personally think those stereotypes are overly used in fantasy and you should be careful in copying too closely.

Barsook

Minstrel
Yours are dragons, mine are dragon (lizardmen) like people so I think skin colors that are natural would not work well if I want Dragzards to be human like. But could be my fault for naming this topic "dragon skin colors", it should be Dragzard skin colors. But still, I think the spin off, if you would say, might be a risk to use.

Saigonnus

Auror
Look at humans, even we tend to have skin colors dependant on the environment we live in and our heritage, and they change color depending on the amount of sun we get, but blue and purple aren't in it because we evolved without the need for natural camoflage (we use artificial in most cases). It wouldn't be that far off to say have a chameleon "lizard man" or even blue or red spotted "lizards" living in tropical climes since they exist that way in nature, but having a white dragon living in a desert would a bit of a stretch for realism in my opinion. If your lizards even remotely followed the same sort of evolution that humans did, they could possibly have advanced past the need for natural camoflage.

I have a concept sci-fi story where made Ssalar (from the world of the same name) who were genetically advanced from ordinary reptiles and aphibians. They were placed there during the terraforming process and the strange energy interaction with the planet and it's moon caused them to evolve at an accelerated rate until they become bipedal and intelligent. They vary in color as well, but like lizards or snakes, their hide isn't generally a single solid color, but green, grey, brown or tan with mottling of color or patterns of colors like lizards on Earth depending on the climate they came from.

Another option that comes to mind is a hierarchy dependent on color. Maybe the darker colors are the smaller dragons and the lighter colors are larger.

Perhaps like the real world, the female "dragons" could be plainer colors to easier hide from predators, while the males are the more brightly colored ones; to attract the attention.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
There is an old fantasy series by Knack (sp?) which featured different clans of dragons, each clan dominated by a single color, with that color linked to their personality. If memory serves:

Gold - imperial ambition
Green - amnicable to humans
Red - destructive, firey tempered (literally)
Blue - aquatic dragons, sometimes helpful to humans
Cyrstal - utter enigma
White - cold dwelling, coldly hateful

and half a dozen others - black, brass, silver, ect

The dragon clans directly ruled provinces populated by humans (and a few other races), but were in a long term state of decline while the human population exploded.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I've used dragons with different colours to represent different things but haven't thought about it as being some sort of protected idea. I feel it's pretty commonly accepted that dragons can have different colours depending on their breed. Some worlds where this is the case have been mentioned already but I would like to add that the World of Warcraft puts a lot of emphasis on the different colours of the various dragonflights.

In my own WIP the different colours of dragons represent the emotions that spawned them. The basic idea is that dragons manifest when a large enough group of people experience the same emotions strongly enough or over a long enough period of time.

Barsook

Minstrel
I'm planning to change the idea, but can we all say that this is not copywritted:

Gold = wisdom
red= hoarder <--- or this D&D still
black= evil

I think it's getting away from D&D, especially if you have just those three and have them more or less equal in power.

The most distinctive thing about the D&D set is that they have ten main types, five colors that are evil and five metals that are good. So one thing you might want to change is gold being much more friendly than the others.

Barsook

Minstrel
I don't have Dragzards (or dragons, in fact) that are split between good and evil. There is only one who is evil and that would be a black dragon. I think with that, the split is nine good/neutral (blues, reds, and greens are neutral rather than evil) and one evil with both Dragzards and dragons. I should of added that bit.

Also, if you noticed, that I have also did some mixing of colors to create other color combinations to create other personalities. But still, is that too predictable?

(I still think it's a spinoff with extra colors.)

Link to the Dragzard race post: Race Idea- Good or Bad « World of Torzukarr

Links to two drawings of Dragzards:

Last edited:

Saigonnus

Auror
I don't have Dragzards (or dragons, in fact) that are split between good and evil. There is only one who is evil and that would be a black dragon. I think with that, the split is nine good/neutral (blues, reds, and greens are neutral rather than evil) and one evil with both Dragzards and dragons. I should of added that bit.

I always thought it was silly that specific colors are designated as evil among dragonkind. Why black and white and red are always those that are looking to cause trouble instead of more humanlike and have evil/good/neutral among ALL colors. Perhaps a color could LEAN toward an alignment, but for sake of realism I would think there would be creatures of all alignments in a clan or group of dragonkind.

Wanara009

Troubadour
When it comes to nature, bright colour on a animal is usually a warning sign for the creature's toxicity. Especially Blue, Yellow (especially Gold), and Bright Red (colour that don't really help in camouflage). It usually say: "Hey Predators, Look at me. I'm not even bothering to blend in to my surrounding coz I'm that good, so come and get some if you think you're hard enough!" Of course, human often interpret anything poisonous as 'evil'.

For a good example, I refer you to Monster Hunter (tm) "Rathalos/Rathian". The aggressive, venomous, and dangerous Rathalos is bright red (which also make sense in other ways, since it has to attract mate and it is a good flyer so it doesn't have to rely on camouflage) while Rathian is earthly coloured (not a great flier, so it has to set up ambushes. Less dangerous than Rathalos, so it usescamouflage as secondary defense).

Barsook

Minstrel
I always thought it was silly that specific colors are designated as evil among dragonkind. Why black and white and red are always those that are looking to cause trouble instead of more humanlike and have evil/good/neutral among ALL colors. Perhaps a color could LEAN toward an alignment, but for sake of realism I would think there would be creatures of all alignments in a clan or group of dragonkind.

Maybe I should use the idea of certain color leaning towards an alignment. But does it still sound like D&D?

I really like that idea because it can lean (more so it will) towards some good stereotyping in Torzukarr. Because I have a black dragon who caused a war between humans and dragons...which feels like that going to change. But again, is this still too much like D&D?

@Wanara009:

I might do it but I don't know how that will translate into Dragzards because they are created from a dragon and a human. But that could create some good stereotyping in Torzukarr for the other races, maybe for even Dragzards themselves.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
I use colors from nature.
I look at the poison dart frog colors.
Figuring a deadly lizard would not blend with nature as the rest of nature, so they tend to be bright and flashy, to warn other animals they are deadly.
even the black, would be glossy black, not dull.
Also I try not to use single color dragons commonly.
I name my dragons by location and defensive weapon;
Desert lightning dragon, Marsh acid dragon, Jungle fire dragon, artic ice dragon.
(how many people pictured the color of the dragon based on the breath weapon? I still see the colors as AD&D layed them out.)

Personally, I'm kinda uncomfortable with making skin color a direct indicator of moral values or specific personality traits. But maybe I'm just weird like that.

A thing to remember about D&D is that Law, Chaos, Good and Evil are actually real forces of the universe that exist objectively. Hence why certain creatures can be naturally aligned to them.

Gurkhal

Auror
You could also use some other code of color, like heraldy and its tincture, to base what kind of dragons different colors will be.

Saigonnus

Auror
Personally, I'm kinda uncomfortable with making skin color a direct indicator of moral values or specific personality traits. But maybe I'm just weird like that.

A thing to remember about D&D is that Law, Chaos, Good and Evil are actually real forces of the universe that exist objectively. Hence why certain creatures can be naturally aligned to them.

True, but I really never followed the rules generally when it came to my campaigns; especially involving alignment based on skin color or character race except in the most general way. Sure, one could assume that most drow elves are evil because they worship an evil goddess and exist in a society where murder is applauded; but you cannot say ALL drows are evil when some like Drizz't Do'Urden broke that mold a long time ago.

The way I normally did things was to assign character traits to any dragons in the campaign we were going to face and let that dictate to me what sort of alignment they have. You'd think one that is friendly, honorable etc... wouldn't be evil just because he's a black dragon, they have intelligence like a human, why not work within that concept? I remember having a silver dragon that was vengeful, arrogant and vicious, not usually traits associated with lawful good are they?

Sure, MOST silver dragons are good and MOST black dragons are evil, but there are always exceptions to the rules; that is what I was referring to when I said a race could lean towards an alignment.