• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author Websites

I was thinking about creating my website sometime this week, but I haven't completed my novel yet. Should I wait until my book is finished, or can I go ahead and create my site?

(And if this is in the wrong category, I apologize)

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'd go for it now.*
that way you can make sure everything is sorted [and you happy with all the sites feature, look and feel etc.] long before anyone [Jo[e] Q Public] comes looking.
And I'm sure you can persuade a few Scribes to give it a look over as a client test...

* unless of course this is just procrastination... then Back to the Mines for you!!!

Chilari

Staff
I created my website recently. I quite like writing articles, reviews and so on so my website is a place to put them, and record and promote other content I have elsewhere. It's also somewhere I can build up an audience in advance of any possible future publications or other writing-related activities I engage in. All the content I post (with one minor exception) is fantasy or writing related so if I publish not only will any fantasy novel I publish be relevant to any existing audience I have, but also any new audience I gain through publication might find my content interesting and thus stick around - and then if I publish something new after that they'll know about it.

And if I don't publish anything ever? Well I've still got this website where I'm sharing things that interest me and doing something I enjoy. Win-win.

Go for it. With sites like wordpress, it takes hardly any time at all to create. The time is taken up in providing content. If you think you've got something to say that's worth reading, then there's nothing stopping you.

Just a piece of advise. When making a website, be sure to have a specific purpose. Do not make a writing page, and combine it with your goldfish gallery, and all-star knitting champs page, and a forum for your total love for BS, and so on...
Make the site about you, and your writing. :)

For a good easy to use CMS, try Wordpress or Blogger. :)

Kit

Maester
I have a website and I haven't even *started* the dang thing yet......:p Just a pile of disassociated chunks.....

Here's the link to my website. however, it still has a little more to be done to it. I'll work on it some tonight. But I hope you like what I've done so far. andalus

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
General comments: you should aim to have the website not just in place, but fully operational well before you actually market your book. That's because if I (as a potential purchaser) start investigating your book, the website is one of the first places I'll look for information. If the website is sloppy or unprofessional looking, I'll assume the book is too, and that's the end of that possible sale. What you should have on there: details of the book, including the cover, the blurb, quotes from any reviews, a sample, what formats are available and links to sites where it can be bought. Extra value items: maps and other background information, short stories, character summaries, whatever you want to put out there. People will also want to know about the next book - how much of it is written, when it's likely to be out. What shouldn't be in there: details about your personal life, technology disasters, your holidays, your dental work, etc, etc. When you're on the NYT bestseller list, you can say whatever you want, but until then, keep it totally professional.

Specific comments: the website looks OK, if a little bit generic. The brown background is a bit dark for my taste, but that's a matter of personal preference. The dragon artwork is very nice - if that's yours, say so, and put more of that up for people to ogle. One negative: I think it's a bad idea to tell people you're only 16. I would never knowingly buy a book from a teenager because I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that it would be YA.

Good luck with the website - and the writing!

TWErvin2

Auror
As stated, websites are a place potential readers, or those who've read at least one of your works, may go to learn a bit more.

A website functions pretty well as a semi-static place for visitors to go, with a blog being more nimble and topical. They can take some time to create and maintain, and do cost some for the domain name and the server space, unlike a blog.

In my experience, at book signings and even online contacts, readers sort of expect a website (as opposed to a blog or facebook account or twitter, etc.). It's evident when watching other authors answer potential readers visiting their table at a convention or signing event. While, say a Facebook page, may make a difference in marketing, as an initial contact point for readers to seek out, at least for print versions, it seems to get noncommittal responses at best. Blogs similarly.

A website is a good tool, but like everything else--just because you build it doesn't mean they will come. Marketing and letting others know it's out there is important.

JayEmma

Acolyte
I'm posting a site at the very beginning, so that I can share progress and grow audience. May be too early,
but I've enjoyed the online posting process in the past...