• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone doing any tabletop gaming?

Eliazar

Scribe
So when I read something about fantasy games, tabletop immeaditately springs to my mind :)

I myself play Games Workshop's Mordheim, and love it. Due to its smaller scale, it comes a little closer to roleplaying, which is great for me as I never managed to find anybody up for some roleplaying (or even continous tabletop playing with a fun factor and not a competitive one) anywhere I lived in the last several years...

However, painting and converting miniatures and playing some games with them was what actually brough me back to writing (I'll show my humble attempts once I am able to access the showcase), as during the long hours I spent with each miniature, I couldn't help but to think of a background for them and why they are with the other folks in the gang, etc. Also, when playing, some cool storylines surface all by themselves if you just give the game a setting, have characterful enemies and allies, and try to connect them with each other.

So, is anyone here playing any kinds of tabletop games, too?

Ravana

Istar
Sporadically. I have trouble finding people to game with, too–not because there aren't any around, but because most of the time the people I find don't stick with it. But I was wargaming even before I started RPGs… and that dates back almost to a time before there were any RPGs.

Speaking of RPGs: have a look at the Machiavel: Ambition subforum. If it strikes you as something that might interest you, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate

Troubadour
While I've never played the game, I was obsessed with painting and collecting LOTR Citadel miniatures for a long time. The joy! The frustration! The unbelievable expense! I packed them all away a little while ago - I wanted the shelf for books. But may go back to it again someday. Actually, I have a half finished fell beast that makes me guilty to think about.

Fodwocket

Minstrel
I love tabletop games for the same reason, and I'm quite addicted to a whole bunch of them. I have a dark elf Warhammer army, an undead Mordheim gang, and a bunch of random models I use for D&D. D&D is probably my favourite, because I too tend to come up with backgrounds for characters and settings and scenarios. I ran a D&D campaign for three years set in a world I created. It was really fun, and I hope to turn it into a trilogy of novels one day. I also really like board games, such as Talisman and Roborally and Settlers of Catan, and find you can be really creative with them too.

It's really awesome how easily characters and story lines flow from playing these games. Glad to see other people out there getting as much inspiration from them as I do.

Telcontar

Staff
I have a small Warhammer fantasy High Elf army. Only fought three battles (won all of 'em, though!). I still intend to play more, but time/money is tight.

Fnord

Troubadour
I just retired my 2nd Edition AD&D campaign and have been furiously "world-adapting" my long-running campaign setting/world to the new 4th Edition stuff (which is part of the reason why I haven't been too active on here lately). There's a lot of stuff going on in the newest edition and I actually love it now (not so much when it was first released and kind of limited). I had to rewrite some of the lore of my setting to work a little smoother with the 4th Edition cosmology (though I scrapped their entire religious pantheons and changed the story/names of all the extra-planar stuff).

It's been fun, but a lot of work. I finally just resigned myself to making a completely different site and junk for it and am just rewriting it as I go.

I put too much effort into games sometimes. >.<

kefkah

Acolyte
Been running Shadowrun about every other weekend. Quick jaunts for a second generation of players (nephews and the like). Its fun and reminds me why online rpgs cannot compete with a true table top session. You have continuity, immersion and comradre.

That being said, I also play by post on my own forum and recommend giving it a go at this one site called RPoL. Its not as fast as tabletop but the experience is good enough to warrant participating.

Leuco

Troubadour
I think many will agree that playing D&D is an addictive hobby. I was curious though. To me, this is revolutionary, and you may simply find this as old news, but has anyone tried playing it like a webcam conference? You know, like an online office meeting? It's got to be easier than playing post by post, right? Would it work?

Torby

Dreamer
I always used to play Blood Bowl with my brothers, haven't for ages but the next time i see them i will invite them for a game likely to be Chaos Vs Orks.

Emeria

Scribe
I haven't done much tabletop gaming, but I do enjoy the stuff that I do. I've played a bit of D&D 3.5 and Star Wars Saga Edition, both of which I enjoyed, and now I play (and DM some) 4th edition D&D. The game that I DMed was a pre-made adventure, but it was fun because I was able to flesh out all the NPCs and the town more without having to know enough about gameplay mechanics to build my own adventure from scratch. When playing, I tend to favour mages over any other type of class, though...

SLTE

Dreamer
Pathfinder rules, but the Shackled City DnD 3.5 campaign. I'm playing a poor Kenku Rogue who once fancied himself a superhero in the making, but has since lost his mind after many beatings, three axes to the face (seriously, he got put on the brink of death by three separate incidents involving axes) and a dip in lava, courtesy of a pyroclastic dragon. Ouch.

CharlieDay

Scribe
I have 3000 points of Empire fully painted. I play Warhammer fantasy with two of my friends about once a month, and it is always a great time! I am lucky to have one friend in particular who loves to paint and has professionaly painted about 5000 points of greenksins, which are so much fun to play against.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and the Warhammer 40K RPGs (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch).

I like Dungeons and Dragons (except for 4th edition, which I abhor), Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades, Call of Cthulhu, and a few others. I'll try any game once.