• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Right Time To Write

Guru Coyote

Archmage
There is this myth among writes regarding the “right time to write.” Believing it can be rather limiting on your ability to be creative… but it doesn’t have to be.

So what is this “right time” anyway? What does it mean for a time to be right for your writing? You can either think of it as an external factor, one you can not directly influence - you can’t change the time afer all. All you can do is try to be writing when it is the right time. So you limit your creativity to only those times of day you (or someone else) declare as right for you?

When you look at it from another perspecive, the “right time” is not really about time, as in time of day, at all. What it really is about you being in the right frame of mind for writing. Now wait a minute! What if you are not in the right frame of mind when it is the right time? Or, what if you are in the right frame of mind, and it’s not the time you set aside for writing?

I’d propose to stop thinking of “the right time to write” all together, and instead consider what you need to be in the right frame of mind. You see, a frame of mind is something you, yourself can control! Much more easily than the clock for sure.

Learn to steer your mind into the right frame for writing, and ANY time is the right time.

(As I just now posted this to my old blog, I thought I could also offer it here.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinitar

Minstrel
I appreciate what you are trying to do, though I'm not sure what exactly is it you want to communicate with this post. Are you trying to say that it's best if we force ourselves to write instead of waiting for the muse to pay a visit? This sounds good in theory, but it's a lot harder in practice.

No matter how hard I try to write, there are times when the gears simply refuse to move. When that happens, I start doing something else while thinking of a way to solve the problem I face with writing.

Hi,

To an extent I'd agree. The best time to write is when the creative juices are flowing and the muse has you. But that has no set appointment. And there are other considerations. Family, work, friends and life. All of these things are going to intrude,and often on a schedule. The right time to write may well end up being when these other things allow, i.e. late at night when everyone's gone to bed or in the wee hours. While you're on the bus to work (and hopefully not driving it!).

In the end writing has to work around everything else in your life.

Cheers, Greg.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I appreciate what you are trying to do, though I'm not sure what exactly is it you want to communicate with this post. Are you trying to say that it's best if we force ourselves to write instead of waiting for the muse to pay a visit? This sounds good in theory, but it's a lot harder in practice.

No, not force yourself. My point is: The right time is exactly when your mind is in the right frame. And the frame of mind is something you can steer, if not control. You can get yourself into the right frame of mind for writing. It's not always easy, and sometimes you won't get there. But it's not something outside of you that has to "be right."

No matter how hard I try to write, there are times when the gears simply refuse to move. When that happens, I start doing something else while thinking of a way to solve the problem I face with writing.

Well, there you have it. Doing something else to solve the issues you have with the wriing at hand.... is getting yourself into the right frame of mind. :)

Last edited:

Guru Coyote

Archmage
In the end writing has to work around everything else in your life.

Exactly. So ther is not "right time." But we can learn to use the time we have, by being aware of our frame of mind. And sometimes we can get ourselves into this right frame of mind.

I write whenever I have the time -- but I've noticed very consistently that my mind words better early in the morning.

For me it's a practical matter more than anything. At 5:00am I'm alone at my computer, the room lights are off. I'm in a tiny island universe populated only by myself and my computer. At 5:00pm there are two kids in the next room creating their own cacophonous stories. :D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If you write to make money there are certainly times when you have to force yourself no matter how little you feel like writing. It isn't ideal, but that's the reality.

Think of it this way: If you are looking at it as a hobby, then there is no time requirement or restriction. You do what you want, when you want, and you are happy.

If you are looking to make it a career, then you must treat it like a job. No, not the drive-by boss, stuck in a cube farm waiting for someone to give you a snack from the vending machine, but a job all the same. You will make a living from this, so you must obtain the focus and drive to do so or else you will never see it come true.

The prime position is the morning, the creative position is the night, and the middle of the day is meant for battles on other fronts as most of the wise war monks say. If you want to feel productive, write first thing in the morning. It will make you feel better in the soul and allow you to work out your dreams from the night before. The night is perfect for the dancing muses to tempt you. More color and creativity can come from this outlet, though you might lack focus because of it. Weary though you may be, you must resist the temptation to rest.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I think that most people have times of the day when they are more productive than other times. For me, I'm more productive in the morning. If I haven't met my word goal for the day, I'll finish up in the evening, but I'm much more efficient if I do the work in the morning.

Find what works best for you.

The best time for me to write is "whenever I get the chance." Usually these days that's at night, after my daughter has gone to bed. The problem there is that The Best Time To Write is also The Best Time To Sleep. So it's a challenge.

Micha Fire

Acolyte
yes, sir -- off I go and go on writing instead of reading here

oh - now I might miss a few hints on better writing (and publishing)

as long as your having fun writing, it's the best time to write (if you don't have to write for money)