• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where Did You Get Your Handle?

I was in a silly mood when I created my handle. "BungleFic" came from "bungling fiction". Combining that with the title of "Grand Lord" struck me as extremely funny. It called to mind a hopelessly pretentious guy writing stories that entertain no one but himself.

I truly hope that's not me. :D ;)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I wrote a story called Legendary Sidekick--in 4D!, but there's a little more to it than that. For some reason--and I really can't tell why since I've always been kind of an introvert--people would introduce me as The Man, The Myth, The Legend. So there's the first half. The second half would be the way I began my own personal war against crime (at the age of 19), when I stopped a shoplifter on the run with a single kick to the stomach. When I joined the college karate club a month later, I found out the move I stopped the "bad guy" with was a Sidekick.

(As for my personal war against crime, I tackled another shoplifter eleven years later. Then, in 2006 when I lived in Hong Kong, I saw five Triad members shaking down shopkeepers on Chinese New Year. I decided not to get involved. So ended my secret life as a vigilante.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Somewhere around 1998 I started on my current project. The narrator quickly took on a life of her own, as good characters will do, and pushed me to bring her to the rest of the world. At first I called her Kyusha, a vaguely Oriental name that didn't bring any hits on Google. For a while I called her Little Mouth. I finally settled on Short Hair. The other elements of the story gradually shifted around her, but she hasn't changed. I hope you'll meet her some day.
So "Short Hair" is a girl?

Funny. In Hong Kong, there's a guy named "Long Hair." He used to be a protester. Now he makes seven figures (in HKD--but it's still six-figures in USD) as a legislator.

Jess A

Archmage
Because it's from a cover to a Russian Redwall book. I think Lord Brocktree is the book. The image of the full cover is in the Redwall Wiki.

I have that book somewhere. I adore Redwall, though the later books fail to grab me. But I am going off topic...

Anders is my actual name. Ämting is my mother's maiden name. A few years ago she had it changed back, along with two of my siblings, since it's a very unusual name.

I don't actually want to change my name, but I'm thinking of using Anders Ämting as a pseudonym if I get published since it would stand out more than Anders Backlund.

I made it up, then some time-travelling ancient Greeks came and stole it from me.

The bastards.

Funny thing is, I'm called Ghost on another forum, have been since forever. So when I see one of your posts, I always go: "When did I post that?" for just a moment.

Ghost

Inkling
Oops, I posted that when I was Ouroboros.

I've used the name Raven on some forums/chatrooms. I have that same moment of confusion when someone else has it.

Phietadix

Auror
Because it's from a cover to a Russian Redwall book. I think Lord Brocktree is the book. The image of the full cover is in the Redwall Wiki.

I love the Redwall Series. My favorite of the books is mossflower.

Anyway. Phietadix is the main culture of my currant book. It was formed by combining greek letters 'Phi' and 'Eta' with the french word for 10 'dix' since at first my culture was supposed to be a mix of ancient greece and mideval Europe. But now its more Roman, but the name stayed the same.

saellys

Inkling
Saellys was the main character of the first fantasy story I ever wrote, back when I was a teenager. It was awful, but I've kept the name ever since.

tlbodine

Troubadour
Here I'm boring -- just my real initials and name, which is the name I write under -- but in non-professional places on the web I go by Fenshae. That was kind of a silly nickname that evolved thus:

When I was a kid, I joined Neopets (back when it was new) with the username Wolfskin (as in, "wolf's kin"). Somehow that got shortened to Wolfen, then Fen, which somehow everyone started calling me. So I decided to adopt that as my new nickname, and added "shae" to make it more interesting. So now everybody calls me Fenshae.

Wanara009

Troubadour
"Wanara" can mean two things. In Sanskrit form (spelled "Vanara"), it means "Human with monkey tail". They are prominent race in the Hindu Epic described as being half-monkey half-man. In Sundanese, Wanara means "monkey". They are also one of the "Four Practitioner of Arts" in my world Andalusia, along with Human, Gagasnesrawa (aka Garuda), and Naga (the only non-sapient being in the world capable of using the Etheric Art)

Shockley

Maester
Being a language guy, Shockley is interesting because it's one of the few mystery names left. Is it Celtic (Scocleach)? Nordic (Scheochli)? A random misspelling of the Old English word for tax collector (Shock-Levy)? Norman (Shakerleghe)? I've put a lot of thought into it.

Also, I was born with it.

Snowpoint is the northern-most city in the Sinnoh region, and also the whole Pokemon world so far. Sometimes I uses the name SnowpointQuincy.

Nothing special, just a name I made up for a Pokemon Forum. Now it my go-to internet name.