• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books You Want to Read in 2013

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
What books are you looking forward to reading in 2013? These can be old books you never got to or new releases you can't wait for.

Here are some of mine:

1. Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay: I have Lions of Al-Rassan but never got around to reading it. I also have Tigana on Kindle and I want to read that too. I've heard him recommended many times and I'm willing to take the time to really give him a chance.

2. Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson: I dig Erikson's work, having just finished Deadhouse Gates. I started reading a bit of this one, but I'm hoping to really dive into it in 2013.

3. Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed: I've heard good things about Ahmed's world, some comparing it to a sword and sorcery version of Arabian Nights. I love the different setting idea and it sounds like an awesome book.

4. Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis: Magic and super-heroes during WWII doesn't sound like something I'd really be into, but I've been seeing this book on a lot of top lists of 2012. So I'm willing to give this a go based on so many glowing reviews. And I think it approaches the subject matter in a way that's not too predictable.

5. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson: Got this book for Christmas in 2011 but never got around to reading it. Well, I read a few chapters and I liked what I read. Sanderson's inventive magic systems always hook me so I'm looking forward to sinking some time into this one.

6. Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine: A book I've wanted to read since college but never got around to, I recently got my hands on a copy so I'm interested in reading this book simply because it's a change of pace from what I may usually read.

7. More Robert E. Howard: One of my favorites, but I've yet to read a lot of his work. I have two big books full of his stories so I'll have plenty of material to sort through.

8. The Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence: I've heard a lot about this novel as well and the sequel came out last year. I like anti-heroes and dark subject matter, so this should appeal to me in several ways.

9. Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan: Downloaded this first book in the Riyria Revelations a couple of weeks ago and have it at the front of my reading queue. After hearing tons of good things about this series, I'm excited to see what's in store.

10. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: A book immediately got on my Kindle after reading the sample chapters, I since stopped reading it for whatever reason. It's moving back to the top of my to-read pile this year.

There are several others, but these are my top ten to-read for this year. I don't imagine The Winds of Winter (George R.R. Martin's next book) will be out in 2013, so I'll have to leave it off my list for now.

Looking forward to some good reading for 2013! What is on your to-read list?

Last edited:

myrddin173

Maester
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson definitely tops my list

Stormlight Archive 2 by Brandon Sanderson is another one, I kind of just want to know the title is going to be. It was going to be "The Book of Endless Pages" but that isn't the best name for an eight hundred plus page book... (Sequel to Way of Kings)

The Bloodfire Quest and Witch Wraith by Terry Brooks

Michael J Sullivan's new book whose name I can't remember I think it has Tower somewhere in the title.

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley I got this for Christmas and it looks pretty cool

I also got the Annotated Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks and I look forward to re-reading that.

Last edited:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, volumes 3 through 5. I got volumes 1 and 2 for Christmas, but my mom apparently owns the whole series. I'll have to raid her bookshelf at some point.

Skin and Bones, by Thorne Smith. An interesting supernatural read from the 30's, another book my mom owns. I've read it once before, and loved it.

The Forest Laird, by Jack Whyte. A historical fiction about the life of William Wallace, told through the POV of his cousin Jamie. It's quite a thick book -- should keep me reading for quite some time. ^^

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
The Way of Kings
A Storm of Swords

Those two alone will take a while, given their extreme length.

I would also like to begin the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy.

Ghost

Inkling
I have some books on my reading list, but more of my list is comprised of authors than novels. I've never read the following authors: H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Algernon Blackwood, Fritz Leiber, William Gibson, Jorge Luis Borges, Steven Brust, Caitlin R. Kiernan, Carol Emshwiller, Anton Chekhov, Alexander Dumas, and Flannery O'Connor. I'm curious about them and several are available at my library or on sites like Project Gutenberg, so I plan to read them.

There are authors I've encountered before, maybe one story or one novel, and I'd like to explore more of their work. These are folks like Richard Matheson, Lord Dunsany, Franz Kafka, Edith Wharton, William Hope Hodgson, Shirley Jackson, Donald Barthelme, and Ambrose Bierce. I used to be a big fan of Bierce growing up, but I don't remember much of his work.

My to-read list is huge, so these authors will be my focus this year. :biggrin:

afrisch

Dreamer
So many books on my shelves and so little time! I am looking forward to:
"On Writing" by Stephen King
"Writer with a Day Job" by Aine Greaney
"Wolf Tales" (currently reading) by Kate Douglas
"Noctural" by Scott Sigler
"The All Pro" by Scott Sigler
"Outer Bounds" by Sara King (friend and author I met in Alaska)

Shockley

Maester
No specific titles in mind, but I'd like to work on the books by Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson and Steven Erikson.

JCFarnham

Auror
I got about four pages of titles on my Kindle to finish reading, and on top of that a shelf full of books I've either not started or started and forgotten about.

2013 is all about finishing them all. And I'm hoping that seeing new books as the come out will force me to read what I have.