• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Names.

elly

Scribe
I'm having trouble thinking of character names, any advise of how i can get some good ones? any helpful websites? All the ones i can think of at the moment are ones I've used before and I can't think of any different, abstract names I'd like to use :O

Behelit

Troubadour
In my mind it really depends on the setting, time, the character you're attributing the name to, your style, etc. Not having much of this information limits my ability to assist.

At a minimum I would try to make the name/s easily pronounceable for any reader. I suppose the only case I would create a "difficult" name is when it is my intention to cast a foreign or ancient character.

I like your Totoro avatar, by the way. :)

Hey Elly. I think it depends on what you're going for really. The names I've generally been using "mean" something. Like my main character, Thomas - his name means "twin." And Braedan means "Man of the Dark Valley", Nirvelli means "water goddess." So since so many of my character personalities or magical abilites are attributed to what their name means - I googled....what does xxxx name mean? Or just the opposite. I also researched a lot of the pagan names/religion for college essays that I was writing and some of the eventually made their way into my creation.

I bought a book years ago entitled The New Book of Magical Names by Phoenix McFarland and I also have the book called The Hidden Truth of Your Name. The book gives the Kabbalistic Synopsis, The Runic Interpretation, and The Numerological Interpretation. It also gives the derviation of the name, the colors, gemstone, and botanicals associated with the name. I basically used it for unique spellings and "related to names." For example, Alexis can be spelled as "Alexice" "Alyxice" or "Alyxis." And the name is related to Aleka, Alessa, Alessandra, Alessia, Alexandra, Alexia, Allexina, and Lexi.

Just something to consider. :)

Last edited:

elly

Scribe
great! thanks thats helped a lot,, I might look up these books you've told me about Meg, I was also thinking of looking up different names in different languages, hopefully I can find something through that as well :)

I think the Magical Names book I have as names broken up into different languages as well, but I'd have to look at it tonight when I get home to be sure. If it does - then I'll edit this post and if it doesn't....I'll still edit the post. :)

Kelise

Maester
I do what Meg does, but sometimes I also take two meanings and combine those names somehow - if the names I want to use don't really fit in the specific era or location I'm writing for. Don't be afraid to do that :)

Most baby name sites will give you a list of related names also. This way you can often find the 'old' way of spelling a name, which has also been helpful. Hope that helps. Good luck! Picking names is the hardest part for me at times.

Parqstu

Minstrel
There's random name genrators. You can't always be sure that the name hasn't already been used ofcourse, but it can give you an idea and you can slight change the name you've generated. Theres also things like names including xyz or long, short, medium names so on to select.

I usually make my names from bricks. That way i enjoy them and know there original. I've got about 12 i love because of it :)

Last edited:

Ravana

Istar
You can also see my (somewhat lengthy) post under "Fantasy languages" for another approach: work up the basic sound-patterns for a language (you don't need to create the complete language itself!); these will give you sets of sounds that are allowed or disallowed, so that whenever you put together a new name, it will at least sound as if it came from the same language all the others did. You could even create a random generator this way: as long as it obeyed the rules you'd set up for individual sounds (letters) and sound combinations, you'd never get unpronounceable mishmash out of it. I can't point you to a particular random generator with this kind of functionality on the market–I don't use them–but I'm sure they exist.

Another approach is one that Glen Cook uses in his Black Company novels. Insofar as names are all derived from common words, he simply reversed this: most of his names for people and places, especially in the earlier books of the series, are "translated" back into their meanings. (Part of the reason this works is because none of the focal characters in the early books use their real names anyway: either they've all enlisted in the company under assumed ones or are known by nicknames, or else they're all wizards trying to hide their "true" names. Or both.)

[P.S. I need to add part two to that fantasy language thread, as I said I would. Maybe I'll be able to work that up today.]

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
My main resources for finding names (for fantasy characters) are:

-NaNoWriMo's adoptables section
-behindthename.com
-2000-names.com (it may or may not need another 0 in that, I can never remember how many there are XD)

They've all been great resources for me when I've looked for character (and place) names.

I have that same problem ALOT! I have issues thinking of new and different names. I get so tired of reading books with chars having common normal names LMAO... And I refuse to write anything with an elf in it simply because.. really there are guidelines to how they have to named and I'm just not that imaginative LMAO

Dagzar

Dreamer
I usually choose my names based on how they sound rather than spelling and meaning and the like. Which sometimes causes problems for me when I find out I’ve been pronouncing a name wrong, like pronouncing Leah as ‘Lay-ah’ instead of ‘Lee-ah’ (in my defense, that’s how a classmate of mine pronounced it so I thought that’s how it sounded).

When I’m having trouble finding a name, I usually use this baby name site because it lets me toggle the beginning and ending letters of a name. However, I also like this site since it has a larger compile of names overall and more backgrounds.

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
I personally never had a problems with coming up with names for characters.. i use what comes right off the top of my head and generaslly find a away to make it work. Sometrimes if you have to really think about a name it never really fits in

I personally never had a problems with coming up with names for characters.. i use what comes right off the top of my head and generaslly find a away to make it work. Sometrimes if you have to really think about a name it never really fits in

Good point... But yeah it took me like five years to name Katalina so I'm not all that good when it comes to names LMAO

And Elly... Love the avatar.. My Neighbor Totoro is one of my favorite Miyazaki movies LMAO

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
oh great you go her going on anime meg.......LOL...... i think names come easily to me because of my tabletop rpg experiences

Ophiucha

Auror
My tactic for naming characters is basically: "which characters are from the same age/region?" *groups them together, then picks up as many Victorian or Edwardian fantasy books [immortals or particularly old characters get Edwardian names, and younger characters get Victorian names/people from one town get Spanish books, another get English, etc.] as there are groups, opens them to random pages, plugs in the names* Tada. Names picked. I might change them at some point, but for now, they serve their purpose.

My tactic for naming characters is basically: "which characters are from the same age/region?" *groups them together, then picks up as many Victorian or Edwardian fantasy books [immortals or particularly old characters get Edwardian names, and younger characters get Victorian names/people from one town get Spanish books, another get English, etc.] as there are groups, opens them to random pages, plugs in the names* Tada. Names picked. I might change them at some point, but for now, they serve their purpose.

That is BRILLIANT!!!! I really need to try that some time O.O

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
that does work i have found as well but then again like i said names is something i have never really had a problem with. You might try to add Race as well region and age tho you might find it helps a little bit more as well