• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Worst Fantasy Villains

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Theon Greyjoy is not dead... The rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Joffrey is supposed to be a bad villain. He's a demented child that lacks any redeeming qualities. The only thing that Joffrey has that readers can sympathize with is the love of his mother. In my opinion, the Joffrey character is a vehicle used to carry the more interesting character that is Cersei.

Darkblade

Troubadour
I agree with almost every villain mentioned thus is awful but I believe the worst villain I have ever read would have to be Valentine Morgenstern from the Mortal Instruments series.

He started off as a harmless enough generic fallen hero before his big plan is revealed in the third book. I could go on long spoilery rants about how insanely dumb that plan was. Before we even get into the largely uneeded child switching and other convoluted aspects that only serve to lengthen the books there is the fact that, (spoilers) his plan hinges on an Angel killing it's chosen Holy warriors.

The fact that no one else seems to see that hole in his plan only makes it worse.

Hi,

I'd have to go for Sauron from Lord of the Rings. After all what do we really know about him? He sits in a tower with an eye, you never see him, he doesn't actually say anything, and he sends all his lieutenants out to die. Then a ring ends up in lava and he's gone. Pretty lame for a villain. I mean even the Godfather had some lines!

Cheers, Greg.

I think the idea behind Sauron was supposed to be that he was the endstage of Motive Decay. There was a time when he actually had high ideals, but now he just wants to rule the world for no better reason than that he can.

Theon Greyjoy is not dead... The rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Joffrey is supposed to be a bad villain. He's a demented child that lacks any redeeming qualities. The only thing that Joffrey has that readers can sympathize with is the love of his mother. In my opinion, the Joffrey character is a vehicle used to carry the more interesting character that is Cersei.

Agreed, Joffrey is a whiny little sod. The way he gets ruled by his mother is both pathetic and intruiging as it shows the strength of Cersei's character because she can easily control a king. And as you said, he is a total vechicle.