• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fantasy + Steampunk

TheSold3y

Acolyte
Sup guys :)

So I was recently writing some new stuff when I had the idea of mixing up Fantasy with Steampunk. The result was kinda weird but I enjoyed looking at the world concept. So my question for you guys is: What do you think of mixing 2 genres and especially, what do you think of mixing fantasy elements with steampunk elements?

Greetings

Wanara009

Troubadour
It's a quite a good combination, actually. A good example of the genre mixing together is this:

Last edited by a moderator:

kilost

Scribe
Yeah, they work together really well. I've made a good few settings which fit this description myself. In my favourite one, I had a version of Earth where Europe (populated by humans much as in OTL, but some vampires in the east) and most of Asia (also human, plus some vampires in China) was the same shape, but the Southeast Asian Peninsula (goblins) split in two and reached Australia (Orcs), the Chuckhi Peninsula (humans) was about four times the size, and Southern Africa (humans/werewolves) was a lot bigger and connected with Madagascar. Instead of the Americas as we know them, there's big old West America (anthrohumanoids of hugely diverse kinds, assorted dwarven cultures, and little gnomish and hobbit regions as well), and little East America (anthros, dwarves), with the subcontinent of Amazonia (dragons and Lizardmen) at the bottom of the former. In between Asia and the Americas is an extra continent called Salirian, populated by a variety of Elven cultures.

Not sure why I went into so much detail, but there we go.

Darkblade

Troubadour
I had the idea a while back of a Steampunk world where the countries subject to European imperialism had their indigenous magic traditions and creatures of legend. Basically magic exists South of Spain, West of Britain and East of the Turkey. I never got around to using it though.

Shasjas

Scribe
yeah, i also have been thinking about including steampunk elements into my world. i think its a cool idea, you just have to decide how far one way or the other you want to go.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Isn't Steampunk kind of a subset of fantasy already? I think KW Jeter coined the term to describe the stuff he and Tim Powers and James P. Blaylock were writing back in the day, and those certainly had fantastic/magical elements (see Blaylock's "Homunculus" and Powers' "The Anubis Gate," as classic examples of the genre, though they don't have all of today's Steampunk elements).

Depends on which elements of fantasy the steampunk contains. There's more "realistic" steampunk where (e.g.) the Victorians have simply managed to do way more technologically with what they had; then there's the ones where they've discovered some kind of mystical energy that they can tap with their brass and leather machinery, which is more fantastical. I think maybe the OP is thinking of combining traditional steampunkery with dragons and overt magic and wizards and so forth.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Make sense, Benjamin.

I guess since I started my foray into steampunk years ago, with those original works by Powers, Blaylock, and Jeter, I view the fantasy and mystical sort of elements as the norm :) When Jeter coined the word Steampunk, he was referring to what he called "Victorian fantasies."

Sherman

Scribe
I started my own experimentation with steampunk several years ago--my own hybrid version that is all my own. You may come across it in my portfolio-eventually.

Mari

Scribe
Isn't Steampunk kind of a subset of fantasy already? I think KW Jeter coined the term to describe the stuff he and Tim Powers and James P. Blaylock were writing back in the day, and those certainly had fantastic/magical elements (see Blaylock's "Homunculus" and Powers' "The Anubis Gate," as classic examples of the genre, though they don't have all of today's Steampunk elements).

Steampunk can have elements of fantasy. BUT... is a subset SF/alternate history.

My personal opinion is to be heavy or focused in one and incorporate tasteful elements from the other. For example, in the book I'm writing now I have it set in a medieval fantasy world (total swords and sorcery), but to represent the pinnacle of human engineering for instruments of war, I have them build a steam-engine-powered suit of armor. I think mixing the two genres 50/50 might bog down your setting and possibly alienate some fans of one genre or the other. Just my two cents. :)

My personal opinion is to be heavy or focused in one and incorporate tasteful elements from the other. For example, in the book I'm writing now I have it set in a medieval fantasy world (total swords and sorcery), but to represent the pinnacle of human engineering for instruments of war, I have them build a steam-engine-powered suit of armor. I think mixing the two genres 50/50 might bog down your setting and possibly alienate some fans of one genre or the other. Just my two cents. :)
It's good to be aware of this stuff. One thing that is also deceptive is pulling the veil back to reveal that your world contains more genres than you started with. For instance, the dragonriders of Pern was originally fantasy, but then turned into sci-fi. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned off many fans of the books. It's something my fiancee tries to get me to avoid (she's against robots and space colonies in my fantasy series).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It's good to be aware of this stuff. One thing that is also deceptive is pulling the veil back to reveal that your world contains more genres than you started with. For instance, the dragonriders of Pern was originally fantasy, but then turned into sci-fi. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned off many fans of the books. It's something my fiancee tries to get me to avoid (she's against robots and space colonies in my fantasy series).

I think the first Pern novel was published as a serial, or at least partially published, in Analog back in the late 1960s. I don't think Analog publishes any straight fantasy. I read the first novel back in the 80s, and though my memory is hazy I thought it was pretty clear this was a human colonization of a distant planet. Maybe that was meta-knowledge. Not sure.

I think the first Pern novel was published as a serial, or at least partially published, in Analog back in the late 1960s. I don't think Analog publishes any straight fantasy. I read the first novel back in the 80s, and though my memory is hazy I thought it was pretty clear this was a human colonization of a distant planet. Maybe that was meta-knowledge. Not sure.

Pern was always low-tech SF. Over the years the traces showed up now and then, including "the landing" backstory book.

I don't see any reason not to mix sci-fi and fantasy, at least from any aesthetic perspective. Marketing genre blends is tougher as I understand, but I know less about that.

The first book was two novellas originally, but it appeared to be straight fantasy. In fact, the first trilogy appeared to be straight fantasy. There was the hint of lost technology which could be greater I believe, but not until you got either far ahead in the main series or read some of the backstory books would you realize that it was "sufficiently analyzed magic".
The first of which was Dragonsdawn I believe, but this was not until 20 years after the first book.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The first book was two novellas originally, but it appeared to be straight fantasy. In fact, the first trilogy appeared to be straight fantasy. There was the hint of lost technology which could be greater I believe, but not until you got either far ahead in the main series or read some of the backstory books would you realize that it was "sufficiently analyzed magic".
The first of which was Dragonsdawn I believe, but this was not until 20 years after the first book.

It may be that when I read it, I already knew about the sci-fi angle so I was reading it into the story. The book had been around close to twenty years by that time. I remember liking it well enough, though I never read the whole series.

scottmarlowe

Dreamer
Rise of Legends... whoa. Very cool.

I think the two work together very well, especially if they're in equal measure. A lot of great possibilities there.