• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you still play Video Games?

Do you still play Video Games?

• Yes I play video games

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I used to play video games but not anymore

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I never was a gamer

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Just wondering. I have loved video games since I was a child and still do. I have cut back the amount of time I play though but I still play. Some people think video games are a waste of time. Well what are video games? They are a recreational activity so it's no different than reading or watching TV which don't get as much hate. Granted reading is a more "healthier" choice and could possibly be more beneficial depending on what you're reading. I don't see a problem with playing games just aslong as you don't waste all your time on them which is easy to do.

I play Halo 4, Left 4 Dead, Mortal Kombat 9, Skyrim (I still play my old Oblivion account too) and that's about it. I have some others but these are my favorite.

Sparkie

Auror
As in all things, moderation is the key.

I do play, and I enjoy the time I spend playing. However, I try to avoid sinking too much time into quagmires of little ones and zeros. While video games can indeed be a beneficial form of recreation, remember that too much time playing can rot your brain in some ways (IMHO).

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I put no. It's not that I'm not into them. It's that I don't have the time (for that) like I used to.

I still have yet to meet the 3rd boss in Zelda: Skyward Sword, Diablo III was fun enough that I ALMOST got my character to max level. (Shame… I really wanted to throw a corpse [barbarian @ lv. 58?], but playing the same game three times so I can play a fourth time is not an incentive to keep playing.) So that's two games I've received—Zelda for Christmas 2011 + bought D3 over the summer—and I finished neither.

Right now, I'm playing Steerpike's D&D-like Dragon Egg. I never thought I'd get to this point in my life, but I think D&D is more fun than a video game. Now I know what I was missing in the 80s.

Maybe when my oldest daughter is older, there will be more video games that are appropriate for her and fun for me. I love cooperative games. I'm not done with video games for life. I'm just taking a break.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I gave up PC games, and I only have a Wii because I can play most of the good games with my wife. I miss the occassional RPG quite a bit. So I would say that I don't play games the way I used to, but it's changed in accordance with the needs of my life.

Saigonnus

Auror
I play all sorts of games really, PC and PS3, though I don't play nearly as much as I want to (life being what it is). Recently I have been into Assassin's Creed 2&3, Dragon Age 2 and Red Dead Redemption, but I have loads of other games to choose from, just not alot of time. I think it's perfectly reasonable to restrict the time a person spends on games, especially World of Warcraft and the other MMORPG where the risk of DYING enters the mix. I have read many stories about kids and young people going on a 2-3 day binge and dying. Where were their parents while they were doing this?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think it's perfectly reasonable to restrict the time a person spends on games, especially World of Warcraft and the other MMORPG where the risk of DYING enters the mix. I have read many stories about kids and young people going on a 2-3 day binge and dying. Where were their parents while they were doing this?

Wha-- dying?! As in, not eating or drinking for 2-3 days because of gaming, dying? O.O;

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Wha-- dying?! As in, not eating or drinking for 2-3 days because of gaming, dying? O.O;

Yes, this happens in Korea and China enough that such stories are considered normal here (at least in the gaming community). Players shove caffeine and sugar into their bodies until they crash, then gulp down energy drinks until their heart stops.

I used to play MMORPGs enough that I know the motivation for such things. 12 to 18 hours of gaming wouldn't be an unusual session. Now, thankfully, I'm wiser and stay away from such games.

Sparkie

Auror
Yes, this happens in Korea and China enough that such stories are considered normal here (at least in the gaming community). Players shove caffeine and sugar into their bodies until they crash, then gulp down energy drinks until their heart stops.

Wasn't that called Lineage Syndrome or some other nonsense?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I still have my old Nintendo 64, it's in pretty good condition and I love to play Super Mario 64 over and over again...

My other games are Zelda's Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64. You may be surprised to hear that I also have a really old Super Nintendo system that still works well, with classic games like Sim City, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars =)

I have considered many times to finally buy a more modern console like a Playstation 3 or maybe a Wii, but I am not sure, I feel like I am too in love with old games and the games of these days are... not quite the same.

Alexandra

Closed Account
All these old video and pc games; my, my I barely recognize the titles. I play video games and enjoy the ones I play very much; Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Dragon Age, and occasionally Assassin's Creed–which I'd play more of if I could play as a woman, the game is beautiful.

I loved paper and pencil RPGs but never got into the online thing when online gaming became all the rage. For me, the best part of an RPG session was the interaction with real people and watching them stress and squirm as I threatened their characters with fates often worse than death (I did more games mastering than character playing). My players loved and hated me :)

PC gaming never attracted me but a few years ago I was given an Xbox and fantasy video gaming opened up for me. I've heard there are other styles, shooters and such, but... who cares? ;)

Chilari

Staff
I put yes, but I don't have that much time any more. Got a job, got projects to work on. I mostly just play Minecraft at the moment. And casual games like Audiosurf (got an email yesterday that told me I was no longer top of the scoreboard on a fairly obscure track, so I had to go and fix that; now I'm back at the top, ahead of the other four people who have played it). I haven't played TF2 since long before the Medic update, or Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 since about April (though they were my go-to games at the end of a difficult day in the first few months of this job). Can't be bothered with Guild Wars 2 any more, just don't really feel like I'm getting anywhere and don't have a guild so meh - and that only came out a few months ago. Occasionally play Pokemon Soul Silver (currently attempting the Nuzlocke run - can only capture the first pokemon encountered on any given route, cave or dungeon; must name all Pokemon; if it faints it's dead and must be released) but wasn't impressed with White version so never got far into that.

I just don't have the time to really get into anything at the moment. I'm far too busy reading, writing, researching and maintaining my website in my free time, and the rest of the time between that and my job is spent on forums or browsing r/funny to relax without requiring too much engagement or effort.

Jess A

Archmage
Hmm. Not sure what to put. I never was much of a gamer, and still am not, but I do play the occasional game. I guess I was a very outdoors kind of kid. For me today, playing games is something I do on a rare occasion before bed, or when I'm on a long-distance flight/at the airport. I still prefer games like Mario, Zelda games (old ones), Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong, MegaMan, Snake Rattle n' Roll, etc.

I have a Wii and a Gameboy, both of which I usually use to get the older games. I adore Secret of Mana. It was and still is a favourite of mine, so I play it on my computer with an emulator. I guess I never got into all the 3D, fancy games (I'm aware I'm still in the 80s and 90s, be kind). There were some Nintendo 64 games that took my fancy. And Final Fantasy 9! Just loved the scenery in that game.

anduril38

Scribe
I still play video games a lot. Helps relax my mind and hones it.

Play mostly Skyrim for immersion, Age of Empires 2 for my war/strategy ideas with Total War mods and Top Spin 4 when I'm in the mood for tennis.

Griffin

Minstrel
I have played video games since I was eight. It began with games like Pokemon, Sonic, Mario, and Kirby. I mostly play RPGs now like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Mass Effect. I play other games like Left 4 Dead and Harvest Moon.

So yes. I still play video games. And I really don't see that changing anytime soon.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I still have my old Nintendo 64, it's in pretty good condition and I love to play Super Mario 64 over and over again...

My other games are Zelda's Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64. You may be surprised to hear that I also have a really old Super Nintendo system that still works well, with classic games like Sim City, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars =)

I have considered many times to finally buy a more modern console like a Playstation 3 or maybe a Wii, but I am not sure, I feel like I am too in love with old games and the games of these days are... not quite the same.
I feel the same way especially after watching Wreck-it Ralph. All those old-school game characters like Q*Bert and co., the Tapper bartender... they even had Chef Pepper from Burger Time in the background at Tapper's!

I'm very happy to see everyone participating in this! I'm not surprised a lot of people play Skyrim. Speaking of Skyrim does anyone here think that Oblivion was waaay harder than Skyrim? A lot of my friends say that skyrim is too hard but even on master difficulty I don't think it's very hard at all. I recently started playing oblivion again and thought it was crazy hard.

danr62

Sage
I like Skyrim.

Also, I like the older RPG/Adventure games like Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy.

Zelda is something that has managed to keep it's charm after all these years. Old or new, they're all good.

Reaver

Staff
I have four arcade games in my garage that I play every once in a while. Yi Ar Kung-Fu, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Donkey Kong. They're for sale to anyone who's interested.

*EDIT* Here's a special Easter Egg you can unlock after beating Street Fighter 9,999 times:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy to see everyone participating in this! I'm not surprised a lot of people play Skyrim. Speaking of Skyrim does anyone here think that Oblivion was waaay harder than Skyrim? A lot of my friends say that skyrim is too hard but even on master difficulty I don't think it's very hard at all. I recently started playing oblivion again and thought it was crazy hard.

I agree skyrim is MUCH easier than Oblivion, and like cake walk compared to Morrorwind; like a lucid dream when compared to Daggerfall and Arena before it. Some what on the same topic- I'm working on a comic that takes place in the elder scrolls universe, fans get to vote on what happens next, just leave a comment with your decision here: Passage of The ElderScrolls :: Comics - What is thy class?