• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who else writes longhand?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
For me, creativity flows better from the point of a pen 9 time out of 10. That's why I do it. When I'm writing a story on the keyboard, I always feel a little more like I'm forcing it and less like the story is just flowing organically. Like I said, I think my brain works differently, which could make sense as different motions and though processes require action from different parts of the brain.

At work, where I'm writing technical documents all day, I type straight into the keyboard. On some occasions, where I have to get creative with things, I'll print the document and write my revisions or additions longhand on the back of the page. Strange, I suppose, but it works for me :)

I do a majority of my writing on the computer, but I'm the same in that writing in pen or pencil is easier (albeit slower). If I'm ever "stuck" in writing something, I can just start doing it on paper. I typically write the beginnings of all my works with a pen before transferring over, editing as I go. I don't know what mental blockages it frees up, but I know it does.

RDelaval

Acolyte
I find that writing longhand more easily activates a hidden corner of my imagination than when I type. I also use a fountain pen, so that tidbit in Steerpike's post made me smile. For me, it's because of my migraines. There are many days when the ideas are itching to come out and play but my head simply can't stare at a computer screen without the desire to jam an ice pick in my left temple. I'm fairly certain the pain was the original trigger for that hidden corner to be revealed, but like Pavlov's dog, it now comes out when I set pen to paper.

Most of my research is longhand in notebooks and binders. I just find that easier to use for reference when I'm typing rather than having 15+ windows open on my computer.

I just couldn't imagine writing in longhand (or shorthand for that matter!). It would just be so painful. And what do you do when you want to send something off for publishing? I don't think any agent/publisher accepts handwritten submissions anymore, unless you're already well established.

I bet it looks beautiful, though!

Personally it's a word processor for me!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I just couldn't imagine writing in longhand (or shorthand for that matter!). It would just be so painful. And what do you do when you want to send something off for publishing? I don't think any agent/publisher accepts handwritten submissions anymore, unless you're already well established.

The material is typed after being written.

topazfire

Minstrel
I certainly find that any really emotional piece flows out my head better when I put pen to paper. I always have my netbook in my (very large) purse, so I can pull it out at any moment, but I also never leave home without at least one notebook and a few pens. Much of my dialogue is hand written first, especially as I said, emotional bits such as arguments. There is just something so satisfying about seeing the ink scrawled passionately across the page with exclamation points and squiggled underline! Once it has sat on the page for a bit then I transfer it over to my computer, editing as I go.

One thing I have noticed is that when I write something longhand and then transfer it to the computer, there is much less re-writing and editing of that section of my work compared to stuff I write directly into the computer. I don't know if anyone else has experienced or notice that. There is something about writing it out that seems to make for a better first draft.

The material is typed after being written.

Gosh, I couldn't imagine doing that! Still, you have to go with whatever makes your creative flow work best for you.

I must admit, however, that although I do my writing straight into a word processor, I do print it out for editing.

Butterfly

Auror
Well, by the time you type up what you wrote it's kind of like working through a second draft. Improving it as it you get from one chapter to the next.

Last edited:
Well, by the time you type up what you wrote it's kind of like working through a second draft. Improving it as it you get from one chapter to the next.

Yes, that's very true. I hadn't looked at it that way. I suppose one of the other differences between longhand and word processing is that editing is much more immediate on a word processor - perhaps with longhand you need to be more considered? Just a thought.

Nihal

Vala
I like to take notes longhand, if there is any kind of related diagram - like when I was brainstorming about hollow arrows and drew some - it's even better. I usually use a custom squared A4 sheet of paper that I print myself, for I like higher grammature layout paper.

I also have a bunch of cheap A5 notebooks laying around. They're cheap because the cheaper ones have bad qualitly, faded lines, haha, and I use mechanical pencils to write. But those notebooks are more like my memory where I constantly take notes of things I must remember, they're not meant to have stories written on them.

I can surely see the advantage of writing stories longhand first, so I can edit it as I type, but they usually have a strange and broken flow. Maybe later, when I take up the writing habit...

SeverinR

Vala
I don't understand why, but if I write longhand, the words don't flow.
Kind of like the dictation program, "I talk it types."
Long hand I think of what to say, then I move my hand to write it, then I switch back to creative mode, and so on.
But when I type directly the words only distract me for a second. Typing allows my words to flow out much faster and
I can change them alot faster. Also I can read everything I typed, while 10-25% of words I write longhand I might have trouble reading. My mind goes so fast, it makes my handwriting even worse then usual.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Before computers became a really big thing (so this is like early-to-mid-90's, basically) when I was younger and writing stories and scripts (with Star Wars characters in them), I would mostly write by hand and fill notebooks up. Then when I got better at using computers, I started typing them more often. I would actually love to write something longhand now, but for some reason any time I try disciplining myself to write something longhand, I end up having to type it. Probably because it's sort of easier/faster that way- my hand doesn't cramp as easily. But one of my goals is to write something longhand, at least a good percentage of it. I have no idea how long that will last, though.

When i started on my novel this past Novel, I worked by typing it out. But by the time I got to 26,000 words, it kind of sputtered, So I switched to writing longhand and from May 10 to Today, I managed to reach 118 pages. As compared to jumping around when i was typing. By writing it longhand I completed almost six full chapters. IMHO, it's better to write it on paper first so that you have a hard copy just in case your computer crashes and you don't have a way to back it up on another device. And this way, I can see the the actual first draft in my hands. But do whatever works best for you.

C

Chessie

I enjoy writing my notes out longhand. It gets me into a creative groove that is harder to be distracted from. I've been giving Scrivener a try and (even though its awesome), I think I'm doing more work writing longhand, then typing the notes into scrivener, then writing lol. Anyway, I've handwritten a few stories that way and I've noticed that quirkier ideas pop up for me when I choose to do it that way vs the computer. :)

Khama

Scribe
I've always just gotten distracted when typing a story up. Which is why I just write it in notebooks first, and then from there transfer it onto my computer. While it may not be the most time efficient way of getting things done. I find that it works for me.

Mythopoet

Auror
I write the first draft longhand. I enjoy the tactile sensation of the pen and paper much more than the keyboard. I use a variety of fountain pens (my Shaeffer Ferrari pen is my favorite, inked right now with De Atramentis Johann Sebastian Bach, which is a lovely dark brown/black with reddish/purpleish tones) in different ink colors and good Rhodia or Clairfontaine papers. Yeah, I'm pretty into my pens and papers.

Then I take what I've written out longhand and type it up, doing light editing as I go. That way I end up with a very clean manuscript.

Trick

Auror
I write everything longhand first. Typing is very unnatural for the imagination stage of the process. Writing with pen and paper can be a problem too, though. I once lost 9 chapters of work that can never be replaced (I console myself by thinking it wasn't very good, which it wasn't, but still). So now I'm very paranoid about knowing where my WIP is and keeping it safe. When I can, I dictate my work with Dragon voice to text because I'm a very slow copy typist.

I wish I could learn shorthand but have never found the time.

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
I tend to write both longhand and write via the computer, although I'm enjoying my new fountain pen quite a bit and am therefore writing more longhand and then typing it up. The benefit to that, for me, is that it's impossible to be distracted by the internet in the meantime. (And, yes, Trick, I'd like to learn shorthand, too.)

Lace

Troubadour
If a doctor and a chicken had a baby, its handwriting would still be better than mine! I can usually read the first paragraph or so, but the longer I write, the less I can read about it when I go back to edit. I keep a notebook beside my bed for dreams and a tiny one in my purse for spur of the moment ideas. I'm pretty bad about leaving my purse and just taking my wallet and purses places though, so I've come to rely on the notes app on my phone. I guess because we had to start typing in school when I was in the first grade I've always been much better at it.