• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Monsters, and other things that inhabit your worlds

Draconian

Dreamer
I was wondering what creatures/monsters are in your worlds. In my world currently I have wraiths, vampires, werewolves, sand monsters, a vicious crossbreed between sharks and raptors and etc.

Do you simply mean the creatures that one might recognize, or those of our own inventions as well. (On a side note, who else was addicted to the D&D Monstrous Manual when we were kids?)

I have far too many creatures and quick-show monster appearances in my novel...I probably don't even remember them all. Some of the 'normals' that find their way into Firesoul are - minotaur (one such beast is in the band of questing heroes), dragon (but with my own twist - they change color with mood, talk, and are about the size of a volkswagen), and a bear...well, I call it a Ridgeback Bear - its about the size of a house and its spine/ridges protrudes from its back. I also have another creature that some characters encounter called zangiel - the zangiel are about the size of a couple horses, have skin like the surface of a basketball, one giant, milky eye, and are colored in various pastel shades. Oh yeah...and they're nimble and climb huge trees despite their size.

I have other, much less dangerous creatures and 'things' throughout. My favorite invention is called a xintrix. I'd rather not reveal too much about these entities...you have to pick up my novel to discover them - but I can tell you that they are entirely original and have been a favorite among my readers.

TWErvin2

Auror
Flank Hawk has an array of monsters, from giants, goblins and ogres to sea serpents, mermaids and dragons.

Although not unique, my novel has both mundane and souled zombies.

At least for me, it's not as much the types of monsters, but the part they play/how you use them in the context of the tale.

Do you simply mean the creatures that one might recognize, or those of our own inventions as well. (On a side note, who else was addicted to the D&D Monstrous Manual when we were kids?)

I still am ;)

monsters I use are mainly any humanoid one, due to my angel-and-devil system, so mostly the undead (though my vampires are a bit odd) and the aformentioned things. My other world (which may one day actually get motivated) has the standard fantasy faire

Hans

Sage
Since in my world chimaerology is one of the biggest magic routes I always can come up with all kinds of monsters and creatures. It also gives me a good in world explanation to how that many different critters could evolve. They did not. Thea were created.

I use mythology a lot as source of inspiration. Never was a big fan of RPG monster manuals. And never read the D&D manual. The only classic RPG monster I use is the Ork, which I use as "catch all" term for roughly man shaped, breeded as cheap cannon fodder.

Jester

Dreamer
At one point I had created a compendium of all sorts of beasts. My desire was to have every beast in myth represented in my world. I quickly grew to realize that was a little too much. My main "supernatural" entities are beings referred to as 'celestials' who are the servants of the gods; each god of course has their own distinct celestial, such as the God of Valor having the minotaur.

fcbkid15

Scribe
Oh i have many. So far i have the humans, elves, dwarf's, i have a race of drak dwarf's which are very evil and vicious possessed by dark magic. I have dragons, pheonixs, gargoyles, griffins, sea serpents, harpies, sea elves, and much more.

Kaellpae

Inkling
For my world I wanted to toss in regular animals, maybe some custom built, old mythological creatures and mix in some nightmares and cuddlies from my own head.
I know of a few creatures I want to use, a specialized fox and dragons come to mind. I want to stay away from some of the alternate human races.(I.e. Dwarves, elves and gnomes mostly)

Dante Sawyer

Troubadour
The abnormal creatures in my MS are either denoted as "gods", "demons", or "spirits". Gods and demons are extremely powerful and intelligent (although they don't have any "god-like" powers). Spirits are more like ghosts or other, less dangerous, creatures. I also have a beast called a bori which is like a cross between a rhino and a cow... and it's blue. It's the main pack animal in my fantasy universe.

I also have a beast called a bori which is like a cross between a rhino and a cow... and it's blue. It's the main pack animal in my fantasy universe.

These are among the best types of creations in fantasy. As readers, we all expect the epic evil monster, or the new race protagonist, but what really makes our worlds real are the creatures that some might take for granted...the pack animals, the pets, the creatures that we see a few times but are of no real plot consequence.

Jester

Dreamer
For my world I wanted to toss in regular animals, maybe some custom built, old mythological creatures and mix in some nightmares and cuddlies from my own head.
I know of a few creatures I want to use, a specialized fox and dragons come to mind. I want to stay away from some of the alternate human races.(I.e. Dwarves, elves and gnomes mostly)

I'm just the opposite. I want to use as many humanoid races as I can. I can't think of creative creatures as well as I can create races - I just run into walls with them.

Kaellpae

Inkling
It's not that I don't like humanoids. It's just that Dwarves and Elves seem to make it into a lot of fantasy, which makes sense, but they always seem the same to me. I want to see a race of dwarves or elves or even gnomes that go against all the other stories. It won't stop me reading a book if they have those cliche races and their characteristics, I just find it monotonous. A lot of them fail to stand out to me.
As for making your own humanoids, or recreating an old race. That's the kind of thing I want to do.

Whytemanga

Dreamer
I try to "break" an old creature before turning it into something new. I might not include anything of the breaking to the making in the actual story, or even history, but it's still a part of my process to try and breathe life back into something I've seen just too much of.

If a manticore is a combination of some beasts, then why not combine a few beasts that haven't been combined before?

Dragons are giant reptiles with wings. Why not take that logic and apply it to some other kind of creature? The Pegasus and Phelddagrif are similar examples, but what about giving a creature something other than wings, and "making a big deal about it" in your world? After that, it's mere nostalgia & tradition that keeps the Dragon around these days. It's not bad to reuse creatures and tropes -- it gives an experienced reader a bone to quickly chew on in your world after all -- but even giant talking reptiles get a li'l boring when they're as numerous in tales as the trees in Evilwood forest.

Hi!

Currently, the creatures in my novel are dragons, humans (squabbling over power and politics), dwellers (intelligent, zombie-like beings), daemons (fresh from Hell), and daemon incarnates (leaders of daemons).

I have all manner of creatures in my story. I don't have typical fantasy creatures, I have horses with claws for hooves, six legged oxen, and a companion animal that resembles a foot long pill bug.

I am debating a second intelligent species, that no human can communicate with. As communication is impossible, there would be constant war with them.

Leuco

Troubadour
For my story I used a terrorizing tribe of regenerating trolls that live in the caves of the mountains. The residents in the valley live in constant fear, expecting them to storm down upon them in the middle of the night and kill them while they're sleeping. Sound familiar? There's also a troll version of the wicked witch/snow queen archetype and references to other green humanoids like orcs and hobgoblins-- a nod to Emerson.

I've got some walking undead too, but they're supposed to be more of an ironic representation of immortality rather than the relentless hordes that traditionally symbolize the feeling of modern stress. I also wanted to use the Dread Knight monster in my story because they represent the tragic hero perfectly. The fall from grace theme is a big one in my novel.

There's also a cyclops, much like Polyphemus from the Odyssey, that represents the primitive and violent, yet sensitive, nature of an unforgiving wild. He doesn't herd any sheep though, and no, he doesn't gets stabbed in the eye. Oh, and there's also threat of a disease, which I guess is a micro-monster, isn't it?

But, even in a world filled with such creatures, the true monsters in my novel are the people. If you're interested in reading it, PM your email and I'll send you the pdf. :)

Helbrecht

Minstrel
In the story I'm currently writing, one of the first creatures to be introduced is the kezzit - "Baby Dragon" in the language of the protagonist's mentor's culture. As the name suggests, they're reptiles of a sort, like man-eating iguanas the size of Alsatians. Komodo Dragons, basically, but a bit bigger and a lot faster. They can spit and spray their neurotoxic venom, which they coat their claws with by licking them in their downtime, which produces a pain similar to being set on fire. Their gums are also basically petri dishes for dozens of nasty pathogens, so even if antivenom is acquired, bites are usually fatal from the ensuing infection. However, their large diets combined with their small frames means that their meat is packed with nutrients, and they have two huge bladders filled with practically drinkable water that make them very valuable to hunters in the desert environment in which they're found.

And in one of the stories I'm planning for (set in a tundral environment i.e. Northern Siberia), the main pack animal is a great big fluffy dog the size of a pony with huge, wide paws that distribute its weight over a large surface area in the snow to prevent them from sinking in. They're characterised in folklore as being aloof, noble wolves, but in reality they're just big, dumb, friendly animals. Domestication might have something to do with that.

I also have a species of spider that lays millions of microscopic eggs when it reproduces, which, due to its verminous role in the local ecosystem, get stuck in food stores, slums, etc. They are subsequently ingested or inhaled, gestate by drawing nutrients from the host's body, then grow and expand in large clumps underneath the host's skin, forming pox-like sores. The sores erupt when the eggs hatch and hundreds of baby spiders spill out. It's awesome. :D

Kevlar

Troubadour
@Whytemanga: I think you're thinking chimaeras. Manticores are mythological greek things with cat-like bodies, human-like faces and barbed tails they can use as projectiles. They're a bit of a chimaera themselves. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me, I'm a teenager not a professor. My own rendition of manticores are giant poisonous insects with long stingers. Inspiration came when a (wood wasp?) bug with a stinger as long as it was smacked into me while out camping. After the initial "OMG that thing is massive and looks painful!" I got some inspiration.

I also have basilisks (neurotoxic spitting lizards) but both of these creatures might not even make their way into my story, as they're from the far south, mostly in an area controlled by some countries of the other hominid, the horned draey. Like humans these guys have different skin colours and features, but they all have goat like ears and ramming horns. (This made me unhappy when I learned Bioware ws smacking horns on the qunari. They ended up looking like what I had imagined the draey.)

Other than that I can't think of my other creatures ,unless you consider the cave lions, mammoths, aurochs, whoolly rhinos, (European) hyenas, and (Irish) Giant deer to be monsters. (If you haven't heard of the Irish deer, the thing stood 7' at the shoulder and could have a rack 12' from tip to tip) I do have some evil things one of my main character's distant ancestor apparently destroyed, but if they ever show up it will be in his son's generation, or his son's.

As with Leuco the true monsters are the people. They kill, they burn, they plot, they rape.