• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Greek Mythology/Expansion of Hesiod's Theogony

Renos

Minstrel
With this I am trying to create a new world a new setting expanding in an already established one which is Hesiod's Theogony. My novel involves the creation of stars, suns and worlds so I am trying to encorporate some other crucial elements like souls and magic. What do you think of this as a beginning?

Theogoneia

Little is known of the entities of beginning. When Chronos and Ananke nested together, the necessity for their existence emerged. Chaos, Gaia, Tartarus and Eros were the first ones. They are the Primordials and they gave birth to what is known as everything. But what if others existed; others that escape the confines of human knowledge, others that they were never spoke of? This story speaks of the dark secrets of the universe, those that no mortal had the knowledge to utter.

Psychopoios
An entity that is crucial in the telling of this story is Psychopoios. Brother to Chronos and Ananke, Psychopoios was wondering in nothingness for ages. His purposes unclear even after the Primordials were born. It was not until two certain deities created something extraordinary to the eyes of existence, that he would find his purpose.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
It's interesting, although rather unclear. I'm not sure exactly what's going on here (which may be what you want).

What it does well, is create the feel of a Greek myth.

Renos

Minstrel
Thanks for your answer. To explain Psychopoios if you take it as a word it means the creator of souls. In Greek Myths Prometheus made man out of clay and Athena gave them life. This fellow had an immense energy circulasting inside him from the start of time. Chronos and Ananke used their energy to create Chaos Gaia and all the others. This guy was storing it up and when human was created he poures his energy out and created souls. That'sthe premise but I will expand it that other humans were created by jealusy of other deities in distant worlds far from Gaia and he was forced to make souls for them by Ananke (which means need). Building further on as I go :p

The Unseemly

Troubadour
Well, what about the whole underworld, post-death, thing?

Wossitname god (sorry, my greek mythology is as good as an oxygen respirator to a fish...), after the "world" (the soul) was created and all these interesting things called humans appeared, and it turned out they needed to do this thing called dying. So, the Wossitname god was given the task of heralding (guideing etc.) after death.

And, though this might just be me, but I'd really like thinking of the Wossitname god as being cheerful and very decisive about his appointments.

Renos

Minstrel
Well, what about the whole underworld, post-death, thing?

Wossitname god (sorry, my greek mythology is as good as an oxygen respirator to a fish...), after the "world" (the soul) was created and all these interesting things called humans appeared, and it turned out they needed to do this thing called dying. So, the Wossitname god was given the task of heralding (guideing etc.) after death.

And, though this might just be me, but I'd really like thinking of the Wossitname god as being cheerful and very decisive about his appointments.

Hello, thanks for your answer. That "God" would be Thanatos (Death) who was a child of Nyx (night). With your question, I suppose you mean what happens to the humans that die in the other worlds? Very good question even if it's not it. Didn't think about that. The souls that Psychopoios was forced to made for Ananke in other worlds would be corrupted because of their distance with mother Gaia. So the souls never reached Tartarus but wondered in big wastelands accumulating soul energy and as time passes another big event occurs that changes the shape of the Universe. The only ones that can stop the constant reshaping of the Universe are 12 individuals, children of Gaia, also known as Titans.

So, this is actally set in Greece then? I'm a little confused because you mention a new world.

One thing I remember about the Theogony from my Ancient History lectures is that, as it is written, everything that happened was ordained by Zeus who had planned it out from the start and thus was never in any danger of losing to his father, the Titans or Typhoeus. Are you going to change that around to keep the tension up?

Renos

Minstrel
So, this is actally set in Greece then? I'm a little confused because you mention a new world.

One thing I remember about the Theogony from my Ancient History lectures is that, as it is written, everything that happened was ordained by Zeus who had planned it out from the start and thus was never in any danger of losing to his father, the Titans or Typhoeus. Are you going to change that around to keep the tension up?

No this is not set in Greece. It is not about Titanomachy. It is about the creation of other worlds. What happens in Earth is the story that is already told by Hesiod (although you are wrong, Zeus was a couple of times in danger of losing everything from the titans). I already started writing a novel which is set in another world which is in the center of the Universe. The Ancient Greeks of course didn't know anything about other planets or other life forms so it is only natural Hesiod would not mention anything beyond the confines of earth. That's where I will try to expand still maintaining the mythological element held in Theogony though.

Renos

Minstrel
Well not the Gods. The primordial deities that preceded the Gods. Chaos, Nyx etc. And not just another world. All of the Universe but focus in a few certain worlds.