• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Writing of a War Cry

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've been wondering about the most effective ways to write a character's war cry.

I've seen it done different ways from actually spelling out the sound like, "Herrrrah!", complete with exclamation, to simply describing the utterance within normal narrative. I prefer the description in narrative as witnessed by the POV (I think). I tend to view the spelling out of sounds as comic-booky.

Which would you prefer and why? Any other methods you find effective?

Mtsky112

Acolyte
I agree that "spelling out of sounds as comic-booky". I enjoy narrative description because it allows more use of the readers imagination. I also prefer the description on a sound, especially a cry or wail, be coupled with body language, emotion, over all description of energy. It paints more of a picture.

MadMadys

Troubadour
I tend to just put that in description unless it's a specific word or phrase. When I see a "Hrrrreeggg!!" or some such thing in quotes, as a reader, I tend to try and pronounce it out of habit. Yes, it's silly, but I know I do. Works in comics because that's the medium- and typically when a character opens their mouth something has to come out- but for me I just prefer 'He let out a vicious cry that echoed in the sky' or something like that to putting up quotes.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
While it may seem comic booky . . . . there are actual war cries, with spellings, used by tradition, among officers in the military. You can tell which branch of the military someone has served in by whether they say "Huzzah!" or "Hooah!" or something else. Nor is this anything new. Consider, for example, the "Hiah!" and "Kiah!" used in the martial arts.

Now consider what people mutter when they work out, and whether they mutter the same thing over and over, or if it is a random grunt. Chances are, it's not a random grunt.

The fact is, exclamations are helpful - even recommended - when you're exerting yourself physically, so they're very often worked into the training routines.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
While it may seem comic booky . . . . there are actual war cries, with spellings, used by tradition, among officers in the military. You can tell which branch of the military someone has served in by whether they say "Huzzah!" or "Hooah!" or something else. Nor is this anything new. Consider, for example, the "Hiah!" and "Kiah!" used in the martial arts.

Now consider what people mutter when they work out, and whether they mutter the same thing over and over, or if it is a random grunt. Chances are, it's not a random grunt.

The fact is, exclamations are helpful - even recommended - when you're exerting yourself physically, so they're very often worked into the training routines.

Although I agree with you for the most part and I understand the concept you're presenting, I disagree that military exclamations like "Hooah!" or "Oorah!" are actual war cries. After seven years in the Marines, I can say that "Oorah!" is used as a unifier, celebratory exclamation, or an exclamation of agreement. It is not a war cry. That being said, it brings up a valid point about traditional cheers & cries and the value of spelling these out.

The reference to martial arts, and the benefits of exclamation during strikes, I agree with completely. However, although there is some connection to what I'm referencing here, this is a more general concept and not what I intended in the question...my fault for not being clear.

More specifically, I was talking about an individual character's cry in combat. It might differ from moment to moment as the cry could be caused by surprise, shock, rage, etc. He may have been trained on the benefits of exclamation during combat but it is now simply second nature. The war cry is not based on tradition, not pre-planned, not necessarily repetitive. It is a reaction, or an involuntary action, ingrained in a character though years of training and/or experience. Now it has become instinctual.

Last edited:
If it helps, I've heard there are several reasons for war cries, that are different for formal and spontaneous shouts:

• to intimidate an enemy
  • to startle an enemy at one exact moment
  • to encourage friends (and, by implication, say "the fight's this way, and I'm still alive!")
  • to encourage yourself
  • to focus yourself ("kia!" as you actually strike)
  • to push breath out of the lungs, forcing yourself to breathe in again fully
  • for "honorable" fighters, to show you're not backstabbing someone (amazing how many film heroes still say "hey ugly!" or something in the half-second before they jump a guard)

Once you decide which combination of what it is, you can decide where it is between a nonverbal roar or such and real words. Then there's still what works best for the moment; sometimes even the primal sounds might be better sounded out, or the formal ones as "Shouting the kingdom's name, he charged..."

SeverinR

Vala
Although I agree with you for the most part and I understand the concept you're presenting, I disagree that military exclamations like "Hooah!" or "Oorah!" are actual war cries. After seven years in the Marines, I can say that "Oorah!" is used as a unifier, celebratory exclamation, or an exclamation of agreement. It is not a war cry. That being said, it brings up a valid point about traditional cheers & cries and the value of spelling these out.

The reference to martial arts, and the benefits of exclamation during strikes, I agree with completely. However, although there is some connection to what I'm referencing here, this is a more general concept and not what I intended in the question...my fault for not being clear.

More specifically, I was talking about an individual character's cry in combat. It might differ from moment to moment as the cry could be caused by surprise, shock, rage, etc. He may have been trained on the benefits of exclamation during combat but it is now simply second nature. The war cry is not based on tradition, not pre-planned, not necessarily repetitive. It is a reaction, or an involuntary action, ingrained in a character though years of training and/or experience. Now it has become instinctual.

I think the Marines "Oorah", is a battle cry of sorts. It is uttered in a verbal battle, it is a call for unity, show of support, rally of troops. Maybe classified as a pre-battle cry? It pumps up the people involved, it intimidates the "enemy". I will admit I never heard the "Oorah", during a fight or during the immediate move to fight(the charge). (I served in peacetime, the fights I am talking about were using fists, and alcohol was probably nearby.)

I've been wondering about the most effective ways to write a character's war cry.

I've seen it done different ways from actually spelling out the sound like, "Herrrrah!", complete with exclamation, to simply describing the utterance within normal narrative. I prefer the description in narrative as witnessed by the POV (I think). I tend to view the spelling out of sounds as comic-booky.

Which would you prefer and why? Any other methods you find effective?

I don''t know about being comic-booky, but i know i like to have a word in another language spoken or to hail a mighty leader.

Wizard

Honestly, I like to just put the war cry into the description rather than to put it in dialogue and spell it out.