• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Typical Fantasy Creatures vs. Exotic Fantasy Creatures

Mindfire

Istar
no, but it did have magical mind control erotica dating back hundreds of years, so...

and flat out human rape laws and erotica...

pot, kettle and all that.

1. I require proof of this.
2. I'm not European, so it's no skin off my back.
3. That doesn't make tentacle erotica, and other things from Japan, any less weird.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
@Caged Maiden: I'll explain it to you later. It's not something that should really be discussed on a forum with younger members about.

Since I actually live in Japan and my wife is Japanese, I can guarantee you the idea of tentacled "whatever" is not really considered mainstream. It does have a long history here (dating back to woodblock prints), but most Japanese don't sit around and discuss it. It's very much a fringe thing.

Yes, Japan can be weird sometimes. But that's even for the Japanese themselves.

Back on topic, I'm going to go through the list I posted from Wikipedia and hopefully figure out how to post some of my favorite ones in the thread. Then maybe we can discuss how they would fit into other worlds.

Ophiucha

Auror
Most of the creatures in my worldbuilding project come from Pleistocene (wooly mammoths and whatnot), with a bit of the authorial touch to adapt them to my setting. Only a handful of original and mythological creatures, now that I think about it.

I think breaking away from the typical elves and dwarves isn't something to discourage, particularly since it might lead to a bit more fantasy set outside of the now standard, vaguely medieval, vaguely Norse setting that remains prevalent in the genre. Who wouldn't like an Inuit fantasy with - *goes to Wikipedia* - a vampire dog, or adlet! Diversity breeds creativity, I say. Even in the European tradition, there are a lot of creatures that just miss out on the love. Tons of Greek creatures in fantasy, but there simply aren't enough harpies for my liking. And as the serpent-bearer, I must ask: where are the cockatrices? It is a damn shame there aren't more cockatrices in modern fantasy.

The only potential issue I have with the more obscure of creatures is more technical than anything. Only a few niche mythology geeks or the well-studied people of the culture are going to know what a nimerigar is. That's the best thing about mermaids. You say "mermaid" and you never really need to explain that they are half-human, half-fish. But these obscure things? For 99% of your potential readers, you may as well have just made the thing up for all they'll know about it.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
What I find cool about Sapkowski's stuff is that each story is pretty focused on a specific monster it seems. So you really get to know how the monster came about, what its habits are, what it looks like, how it moves, etc. The first story highlights a monster called a "striga" which I'd never heard of. However, by the end of the story, I knew everything I needed to know about striga. And I was impressed with how Geralt got rid of it.

And I agree. There need to be more cockatrices. I had one in a novel I wrote before. It was actually a delicacy of some sort (like blowfish, if cooked the right way they were delicious, but if not, they killed you :) )

ALB2012

Maester
I have trolls but not the standard monster under the bridge or big ugly stupid things that turn to stone. Mine are actually very civilized. The do tend to hang out in hills and mountains with small communities but not underground.
They are large horned humanoids who have skin colour often of the local rock or earth, greys, blacks, marbled.

They tend to be quite religious with complex burial rituals, have a high sense of honour and are a matrilinial society.

I do not have orcs or ogres. I have giant salamanders which spit flaming or acid rocks, have slightly acidic saliva and they skin can burn if it touches you. Nasty things.

There are some fun less mainstream creatures which might soon show up and book 3 will have gargoyles.

ALB2012

Maester
I am going to use harpies if I can work out where;) Might be book 4. I want a really good summoned monster for book 3 Maybe harpy queen.

Shadowrun has some really nasty beasties- Wendigos which were vampiric orcs, zeniqui,- vampiric trolls ( might have been the other way around) both were pretty nasty. Think 8 foot tall, very strong, horned troll with a LOT of attitude and vampirism, which either meant they were blood crazed killing machines or devious and powerful emotion seeking slurpers. Either way not someone you want to meet.

Earthdawn has horrors which are pretty much demons but often just get in your head and drive you nuts.

I am after some "strange" creatures for book 4. I really don't want to use giant spiders, and it has to be cave dwelling.

Oh and I have mundane beasties like huge snakes and bloodfish. So the snake pulls you in and whilst it is trying to swallow you the blood fish appear and have a nibble;)

Last edited:

Stinnpack

Acolyte
I'm the same way about using d&d's monsters devils and demons as skeletons for my creatures. There are just so many its easy to find one that is near to what you are looking for and use it as a base to build your own creature.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It looks like a wonderful resource.

In my book I basically made up all of my own races and monsters. Some are just heavily modified versions of old myths (like sirens) but some are really unlike anything I've heard of.

Aravelle

Sage
I have "standard" fantasy creatures, but with some exotic in the mix. I refuse to use traditional elves or dwarves, however. They're much too overdone.. same with [traditional] vampires and werewolves. I tend to take the general notion of those creatures and twist them. Ex: I have werewolves but they're benevolent, guardians of the land. I took the idea from the irish, whom call their werewolves faoladh. I just do my own thing, because I trust myself in all of my snottiness to make interesting enough beasts. It's one of my few gifts as a writer.

Alex97

Troubadour
It could be supercool if pokemon can be created as fantasy creatures and given a darker shade
Careful what you wish for. I've seen some pretty dark Pokemon stuff thanks to my PC getting hacked...

What about a giant flying platypus that breathes fire and shoots rainbow lasers from it's magical third eye? Fantasy needs more of the platypus.

On a more serious note I tend to adapt ancient Greek creatures since my current project is largely inspired by ancient Greece. Hopefully woolly war rhinos will also make an appearance.

ALB2012

Maester
I love some of the old monsters which seem to be made up of left over bits from other monsters:)

The Greek and Romans had some interesting ones and the ancient Egyptians had some weird gods which could be used.

WPT

Acolyte
Don't ignore science fiction writers in your search for exotic monsters. Many would fit right in without any changes at all, and would be more fearsome with a magical power. Larry Niven refers to a number of monsters in his "Tales of Known Space" series of short stories. Also, of course, Lovecraft's monsters and ancient gods.