• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Death Feint

Mindfire

Istar
Posting from my phone (in class!), so keeping it brief. You know that thing where the author makes it seem like the main character died, but later on it turns out they made it out alive just barely? Yay or nay on that? Because I was thinking about making use of this trope as part of my conclusion.

Nihal

Vala
For me it's yay and nay.

I hate it when it's obvious, it falls to cliche. Still, when I'm fooled by it I really love the effect. I would recommend avoiding to get the character out of such trick situation without any scratch, it feels unrealistic. If you were in trouble you really were in trouble.

Also, to make it believable most authors kills some other MCs to get their readers to believe that yes, he will do it without flinching.

Posting from my phone (in class!), so keeping it brief. You know that thing where the author makes it seem like the main character died, but later on it turns out they made it out alive just barely? Yay or nay on that? Because I was thinking about making use of this trope as part of my conclusion.

Personally I love that kind of thing. Some of my favourite moments in fiction was when a character who was implied to be dead turned out to be alive at a crucial moment.

But, you know, milage may vary.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Often, death feints are unrealistic. In situations where a character really should die, yet somehow miraculously survives against all odds, or is resurrected "just because", then it grates on me as a reader. Events should occur as they naturally would. Otherwise, this can feel like author manipulation.

Now, if you can somehow mislead the reader...if you can make them believe the character to be dead when you've written nothing to that effect, or utilized words that cause the reader to misconstrue...that can be powerful. That's the moment when the reader looks back and realizes the author never really wrote anything that actually said or showed the character dying & that it was their own, incorrect assumptions that lead them to that conclusion. An "aha!" moment, if you will.

Another use of the death feint I like, is where an author shows an obvious use, like a resurrection of a minor character because that potential can give hope to a reader when a major character dies. It's a foreshadowing. It can be just as moving to not have the same happen for the major character as actually having the death feint occur (supposing plausibility). Again though, this potential should only exist if it is plausible in that world.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's overused to the point of making it predictable. There are lots of times where it's not only "seen-through" but presumed that the character will return. There are times where, when the character really is dead, people have trouble believing it (or experiencing the moment as it happens) because it's overused so often.

So . . . be really careful about it. It can make a great moment when it's done well, but the bar is set very high.

Jaredonian

Dreamer
Your readers might forgive you for using a death feint. However, they might not forgive you for actually killing off their main character. Just remember that one thing separates a good death feint from a deus ex machina is good foreshadowing. Your readers will go with it if you've set up that this 'resurrection' is possible early on.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
GRRM has something like half a dozen major characters 'presumed dead with good reason' at one point or another. One is hanged, one is a captive of a murderous lunatic, one was left dying by the road, and so on. Yet they came back. Other major characters, though, did die 'for real'.

There is also a olde saying about not believing a wizard is dead until his dismembered corpse is before you with the key organs removed and destroyed.

kayd_mon

Sage
Normally, I feel cheated in these situations. I think that it usually comes across as a weak attempt at creating a surprise ending. Also, I agree that they are too often predictable.

Alex97

Troubadour
In most cases no to fake deaths.

I have seen it done well though. If a character comes that close to death I think it should have a lasting physical or mental effect on them. At least it contributes to character development that way.

Obviously the comeback has to be genuinely surprising as well - duh