• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can you depart someone or do you have to depart from someone?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Always seeking to elimate words...

Ashley departed Xan.

OR

Ashley departed from Xan.

?

Thanks!

BTW, almost a year on the site, I finally loaded an avatar!

SeverinR

Vala
I'm thinking you have to depart from, rather then depart someone.
I'm not great with grammar(see sig) but I'm pretty sure on this one. Someone else will have to explain the rule.

Thought about it more,
You can depart a general place and it works.
"I depart(ed) Germany at....",
but I think if you leave someone or a specific place, you have to depart from them.
"we departed from the dock at.."

Last edited:

Butterfly

Auror
Post as in 'Post quick reply.'Right now... you've made 2 posts. When you get to 5 check out the showcase and start a new thread. Sometimes though the system is a bit slow to recognise the five and give you access,but you'll get there.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You can post your own thread for questions about how the forum works. Please do not derail a thread started by another member with these sorts of questions. This thread is directed to answering or discussing the question posed by the person who started the thread, and to comments related to that subject matter.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Cause I'm more interested in whether "departed" requires "from" than I am in trying to figure out the best phrasing.

It doesn't require "from," necessarily, but it is generally used in reference to a place when used without it, in my experience.

Departed from Xan, sounds OK to me, though not great.

"Departed Xan" would catch my attention and make me wonder whether the author was using it right.

I suppose you could use "the" instead of from, in some instances, like "Ashley departed the others." But I still don't think that sounds great. Not the best word choice when using it in relation to people, in my view. It works better by leaving the name or indication of other people off entirely. Just say "Ashley departed." Since we know she was with Xan, we know who she's leaving. I'm using that as an illustration to address the point generally.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
You're right in that neither way seems to be working; I may be forced to change the wording.

I can't just go "Ashley departed" because I have a scene break and need to link her departure back to the end of the previous scene.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Ashley departed Xan.
Sounds like she forced Xan to go somewhere or maybe even killed him. This sentence, although more economical in word count, is vague. It is unclear whether Ashley left or if Xan was forced to leave...or worse.

Ashley departed from Xan.
By using one more word in this version, the reader clearly understands that Ashley is the one who left Xan's presence.

Economy of words can be a worthy goal unless taken too far. However.... Clarity is King!

Alex97

Troubadour
I think you need to use 'from' in this case. However, like a few others have said, I would use another word like 'left' or split the sentence in two.

Alternatively you could say: 'Ashley departed, leaving Xan on his own.' Although I doubt that's a great option if you are aiming for an economy of words.