• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chat Room

JBryden88

Troubadour
Any chance of a chat room? I'm searching far and wide for fantasy chat rooms just cause the silence in my house is deafening right now >.>

Telcontar

Staff
This'd be nice. I've been on several forums where they had a chat room - sometimes built in, sometimes just an IRC channel - and it's cool to speak to people in real time who you usually only read in blocks.

Argentum

Troubadour
I tried putting up a Three Things Thread in the Chit Chat forum so members could have a thread for just random conversation. A chat room would be nice too, so long as people used it. There's a lot of time when all my friends on the other side of the world are off sleeping. I get a lot of time to be alone. It's nice, but not good for conversation. Nothing's worse than looking for conversation in forum chatrooms and no one's on.

@Argentum, you are right of course, but writers are often night birds, and they do live in all time zones, so there is bound to be some up at all time. Though they might not be available to chat :)

Aravelle Angel

I agree, I am a member of another forum (not writing based) that has a chat room and some of the most invaluable information and contacts for me have been found in the chat room. It takes the pressure off trawling through tonnes of posts and you actually get to know people, their sense of humour etc which can be missed in a formal post.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I was just thinking how nice it'd be to talk out some things in a chat room for Mythic Archipelago. Saves me from checking forums on my phone every 15 minutes (home page). I would still post of course, and check up on new topics. Nothing could stop me from that. Apart from a dead battery or no service.

Ravana

Istar
I doubt I would ever use it–I normally hate chat (consider the average length of one of my sentences… :rolleyes: )–but that's no reason not to have it available for everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
This'd be nice. I've been on several forums where they had a chat room - sometimes built in, sometimes just an IRC channel - and it's cool to speak to people in real time who you usually only read in blocks.

Exactly why I think this would be a fantastic idea. Hell, even a ventrilo server would be awesome. There, you could give realtime responses with an actual voice, which is more comforting than words and easier to get your thoughts out. Hell, you could even start a fantasy writing counseling/help channel for those looking for assistance with work.

Possibilities are endless. I'd actually like to get to know some other fantasy writers on a personal level. Sure beats feeling alone.

Xanados

Maester
I really would like to see a chat client integrated for these forums. Real time chat with you folks would be great.

Hans

Sage
It would just need someone going to quakenet, or any other free IRC provider, and open a channel. Like #mythicscribes. And then tell the name of that channel here.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
If you guys really want a chat room, we can add one here on a trial basis. We can try it for a month, and then decide whether or not it's something that we want to keep.

How does that sound?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Well... I experimented with a few chat solutions this evening, and didn't have any luck integrating anything with our site. We also have been having issues with our server being pushed too hard during peak hours. We may have to hold off on this addition until we have the funds for a server upgrade.

Paul

Acolyte
Importance of a chatroom

A chatroom would be of great importance to because it will facilitate communication between members in the long run and also help us to know each other better(i'm already tired of reading numerous posts/threads and opening my email every five minutes)
So i'm looking foward to a chatroom.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Once we have the funds to upgrade the server, we will give this more consideration. As of right now, it would be more than our current server can handle.

Kelise

Maester
Hrm, I was wondering about server issues - quite often the site times out when I try to get on it as it is.

Also, how about moderation? As we already have issues with the nature of some posts, I wonder if there would be issues with nastiness going on in there also.