• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Camp NaNoWriMo- April and July

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Camp NaNoWriMo is basically the summer version of the usual NaNoWriMo that takes place in November. This year, it's taking place in April and July. I'm already trying to think of what I'm going to do (mainly as far as a plot goes and figuring out the details) for April. I'm determined to do it this year, even though I might do it unofficially if they don't improve things on the site (which, it doesn't sound like they will) with the way you interact with other participants.

So I want to know:

-Who else is participating, either officially or unofficially (i.e. if you're going to be a rebel and continue a story)
-What you're thinking of writing
-If you're going to do one or both months
-If you've started figuring out what you're going to do.

Right now I'm definitely going to do April. Whether or not I participate officially or unofficially has yet to be determined. I MIGHT be a rebel and use my NaNo 2011 for it, depending on whether or not I can figure out how to fix the plot up by a lot and how to end it.

If I DON'T do that...I don't know what I'm going to write yet. >.> It mostly depends on what I figure out between now and April.

Both months depends on how April goes.

I'm starting to figure things out but I don't have a plot or much of anything yet.

SpoonyBardon

Dreamer
My goal is to have my book finished & ready for serious editing by mid-June, so I will definitely be taking part in the April event. If all goes well, I will be drinking & celebrating with friends on the completion of my novel well in to July. :3

Dan Latham

Minstrel
I've done CampNaNoWriMo twice now. Both times cabin-mates were reticent to share or encourage each other. I will still do it in April. Other Mythic Scribes are welcome to share my cabin(that sounded kind of creepy, didn't it?).

I will be revising my work in progress. Like SpoonyBardon, I need to get it done by July. As Spoony is also in Oregon, I guess we are going to the same writers conference in August.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
So a new feature this year that I'm really liking is that they're letting us having flexible word count goals. So we can shoot for, say, 25k (and 10k at the lowest) but if during the month of April (or July) we reach 25k and want to keep going, we can bump it back up. I really, reaaally love that, because I know the chances of me getting to 50k aren't super high but something like 25k if I find the write plot is more doable....hopefully.

SpoonyBardon

Dreamer
I've done CampNaNoWriMo twice now. Both times cabin-mates were reticent to share or encourage each other. I will still do it in April. Other Mythic Scribes are welcome to share my cabin(that sounded kind of creepy, didn't it?).

I will be revising my work in progress. Like SpoonyBardon, I need to get it done by July. As Spoony is also in Oregon, I guess we are going to the same writers conference in August.

Oh! WVWC! Thank you for reminding me, I'd nearly forgotten about it. I'm going to be out of town for 6 weeks this summer and getting back either the day the conference starts or the 2nd day of, so I might not make it. I'm going to try, though.

Also what does it mean to share a cabin in NaNo? I've never formally done the event with a group before.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Also what does it mean to share a cabin in NaNo? I've never formally done the event with a group before.

Well, the "cabins" are basically mini message boards where you only get to interact with the people who you either choose (assuming the generator or whatever that they use actually puts you in with all of the people you list that you want to be with) or who have things in common with you (or a mix of both but there are only like seven spots total for specific people for you to list and only a certain amount they allow per cabin). Unfortunately the only people you get to interact with in your cabin are your cabin mates that you choose/get put in there with you. Any other interaction is done on the NaNo forums.

The other unfortunate thing is that once they select people to put in your cabin with you, that's it. You don't get to choose anyone else. So if half the people barely even post anything (which I think happened to me the first year they opened Camp, like two years ago?) then you get screwed out of having anyone to actively interact with. The other thing I remember is that it's easy to miss that people post messages because of the way they have it set up.

The idea of the cabins is nice in theory but it kind of sucks in practice, and unfortunately it doesn't sound like they'll change it. They don't have the funds to do a whole separate message board from the NaNo boards and don't think they should have a separate one when they can just make a section for it on the NaNo boards for people to use.

Aspasia

Sage
I'm hoping to participate again. I would love to hit 50K, but unfortunately real life is real and I'll be happy if I get to 25K this time. I am thinking of working on various short stories I have lying around unfinished if I can't think of a really good idea. I have a few outlines with just some worldbuilding and no real plot, may work on one of those instead. NaNo is awesome, I'm so glad they have Camp now, as Nov is often really busy for me.

I've never been in a cabin before, may look into that this time. I like the idea of a small group of other writers to help and encourage each other along the month (at least in theory). The forums are huge.

I need to get planning for April!

tlbodine

Troubadour
This'll be my first year doing CampNano, although I've done the November version a couple of times. I'm kind of stupidly excited about the whole thing. If it goes well in April, I might do it again in June just to be a wild child.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
I'm really annoyed because today is the day they did cabin selections and I didn't have any info about my story up because I don't know what I'm writing. I only had one person I wanted to be in a cabin with, which I did end up with them, but I think everyone else in my cabin isn't in my genre, and I think that's because I didn't have any novel info up, outside of the genre it's in. There's an "opt out" option but I'm afraid if I were to select that I wouldn't have a way to get back into a cabin at all.

So basically the lesson I learned is to make sure I have my cabin settings the way I want them before they start sorting people into cabins...though I can't remember if you get to change who you're with once April ends because of the Camp in July or not. :|

Aspasia

Sage
Oh no, they already sorted people into cabins? I missed it! I haven't got anything up on the site...I still need to think of an idea!

I guess I'll do it solo this year! The forums are plenty busy, though, so there will still be lots of people to complain with :) .

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Yeah, I think they do it every 24 hours or something. If you go to your cabin, you can check and see who else got sorted into it. Maybe you'll end up with other people you want to be with, like at least people in the same genre as you. I don't remember the settings I had but I I'm 99% certain that I had it set the way I wanted. And so far I'm the only one who's said anything in my cabin.

Hello!

I'm officially joining Campnano for April. November was my first ever Nanowrimo, and I loved it.

I chose the ambitious word count of 60k. My current WIP is an urban fantasy new adult novel.

Aspasia

Sage
Good luck! I love Nano, I've participated maybe 4 times, but only once actually "won" :) . Hoping this time I can stick with it all the way through! If I keep writing all of April every day, I'll be happy. I've been really trying to get back into writing every day, even a small amount.

I've got two possible ideas running around ... neither have complete plots, though, unfortunately! At least there's still a week. One's a more traditional epic fantasy -- which is kind of the "safe" pick because I always write epic fantasy, and the other ... well, I haven't got a clear idea yet, but it will have airships. Possibly sky pirates, which is probably overdone by now but it's NaNo -- I don't care :D . It will be fun, and more of a challenge. I'm way to used to the usual epic fantasy plot and world, I want to try something a little different!

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
Holy crap, I JUST realized that there's a week left because you said as much. Aaaaaah! Ooh, but the good thing is that the 31st is a Sunday and I always have Mondays off (and I shouldn't have to work on that Sunday anyway) so I'll be able to stay up late the 31st to start writing.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
How's everyone's NaNo coming? I basically as of 1 AM last night/this morning decided to rebel and just write scenes that might not have anything to do with each other so that I can try and just get myself back into writing more (or rather, writing that doesn't involve RP posts). I posted the very first scene I wrote last night in the showcase section just now. I think I'm going to work on expanding more/developing the characters of that scene.

Initially my goal was 25k but I dropped it down to 15k...which I'm not anywhere close to reaching at the moment, but meh. It's only almost day three.

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
So wait, when is this running? Can I start in June, or do I have to start now?

The official months, I believe, are April and July, so it's already started (though if you feel like you can catch up, you can easily still participate, especially if you have a lower word goal). You can do it in June but it won't be "official." Heck, you can do it any time in the year, it just won't be an official NaNo event. So yeah, you can easily start in June and do your own thing.