• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Helpful Worldbuilding Tool (Perhaps?)

Mindfire

Istar
Hey guys! Just thought I'd share this custom excel spreadsheet I use to help keep track of my worldbuilding. It's got different pages for characters, races and cultures, gods, and more. Simple and easy to use if you have even the bare minimum of excel skill.

Here's a link to download through Google. You can preview the file before downloading it, but for some reason the preview looks way different than the actual file. If you don't want to download, just make a Google account and edit it online. Hope someone finds this helpful. :)

Jamber

Sage
Heavens. That's comprehensive!
Thanks for sharing, Mindfire.

I have to say I'm a slob at worldbuilding -- I definitely don't approach things this systematically. My way is a bit more like my method of gardening: prepare the veggie patch, buy a heap of neatly organised seeds, begin by making rows, forget what went where, spill an entire packet in one corner, scrape the heavily-seeded soil all over the place, mix up remaining seeds and chuck over the whole lot, then forget to water for three days in a row so most seedlings die. Oh, and harvest weeds accidentally among the herbs, making everyone spit up at dinner.

Having said that, I hope to get more organised. Your spreadsheet definitely gives me ideas.

cheers
Jennie

Mindfire

Istar
Lol thanks! Glad you liked it. I's a work in progress. Whenever I think of something else I want to keep track of I add it in. I'm also working on a matrix to keep track of plot threads! :)

Jess A

Archmage
This is interesting. May not work for everyone but it's a nice, organised tool and easily modified to suit individual purposes. I'm going to share it on the thread about character background information because it is relevant. I work out most of my stuff longhand but one can draw out tables too!! And Excel can be edited so it's useful to know how to use.

Sorry, another edit:

This is the thread I meant: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/writing-questions/7325-do-you-create-backstory-your-characters.html

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
May not work for everyone but it's a nice, organised tool and easily modified to suit individual purposes.

Exactly the point. Even if a specific thing you need isn't included, this provides a simple framework that can be easily customized. I used to think all writers did it this way. But I've realized different people have different methods, so I thought I'd share mine. :)

Varamyrr

Minstrel
This is really nice. I was working on a script to generate my secondary characters. I'm adapting it now so I can export to an edited version of yours. Thanks!