• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Fable Series

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
All right, I've been a fan of the Fable series ever since I played the original Fable on the old Xbox. I couldn't wait for Fable II, only to be slightly disappointed. Fable III was amazing at first, but slowly declined.

I would like to see everyone else's thoughts about this as well.

Am I one of the few that still believe that the original Fable is, and has been, the best of the series? I mean, seeing Albion grow and age is awesome in that respect, but I believe the gameplay has suffered over the years.

I was just so disappointed in the new Fables because of the fact that they were so easy and dumbed down. There has been no true boss fights since the first... and that's something I've seen die in video games sadly. Although I was greatly impressed by Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II that they kept that alive and did it superbly. What I'm talking about is going down memory lane to the days of The Legend of Zelda when you had to figure out every boss and how to take him down. I miss that.

I think if Lionhead Studios really wanted to bring back its players, they should remake the first Fable and give it all of the touch ups of Fable III. That would be an awesome game.

So, Fable/Fable: The Lost Chapters the best of the series?
Let me know what you think!

Wreckluse

Scribe
Id have to agree with you. The first Fable was simply amazing, the second a bit of a let down. Fable 3 was almost like a different game to me. I didn't like the new combat system at all, but I laughed more during the 3rd installment then I did in the first 2 combined I think ;) So yea, Fable:The Lost Chapters was my favorite overall.... but 3 had the better story.

Dragon Age was AWESOME! Gameplay....story....characters.....awesome :)

Xaiver

Dreamer
I'm a PC gamer at heart...and I don't own any consoles. I had the pleasure of skipping Fable 2 because they decided not to release it to the PC.

I did really enjoy Fable: TLC, and Fable 3 was fun...but you're right, it felt like an entirely different game. The whole action/consequence was dumbed way down, and didn't actually seem to have any effect on much of anything. Even though turning your character into a demon or an angel in TLC was mostly a gimmick, it was sort of a visual way to say "Look, I'm evil!" or what have you.

Dragon Age was awesome...except that the combat in DA:O was a bit on the slow side for me. I found that if I played it when I was sleepy, I could...potentially actually start dozing off.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
DA:O fustrated me most of the time but I still loved it, it reminded me of World of Warcraft when i used to play, given the necessity for a tank, healer, dps, blah blah blah. But I totally agree about fable though, it's changed so much from what it was. The only things I enjoyed about Fable III were probably the humor, the graphics, and the whole weapon evolution system. The slow-mobadass moments when you epicly smash your mace into some poor bandit's skull was amazing, but not enough to really counterbalance the pitfalls the series have taken.

Fable was awesome. Running around and hearing someone in the background yelling, "Chicken chaser" was just hysterical...especially if you were sitting at the card tables. Though I didn't really care for most of the pub games. I loved both the good and evil aspects of it and what it meant to "be a Hero." Skorms Bow was the best bow ever and it looked wicked cool. Avo's Tear was a nice sword addition from The Lost Chapters.

Fable 2 was rather disappointing. The characters looked a bit odd and it lacked some of the "oomph" that Fable had. What really grinded my teeth was the inability to save (which is what is thoroughly pissing me off about most games these days). Some of the game I liked, like the sword play and even the lack of armor. It was fun playing dress up (just goes to show how much of a girl I am).

Fable 3 - I still have mixed emotions about. Again, not being able to save sucks a giant one - that irritates me mostly because I just downloaded Traitor's Keep and it bugged out on me - I'm stuck between two walls and now I can't get out. I can't leave the mission because it won't let me and I can't load a previous save because there isn't one. The character looked a little weird whether they were good or evil and I've just gotten kind of used to changing my character's appearance. I'm replaying F3, but I'm mad because I can't open one of the Demon Doors because I need "another hero" ie - another player. And most of my friends have stopped playing this game......so I can't trade weapons, clothes, or open that damn door! Which was the only other thing I didn't like - I don't like games that "force" me to play with other people and that you can't get all the weapons or clothes within your own game. I do actually like the Gnomes (and the Gargoyles). Hunting those little bastards down was actually kind of fun. I loved the Gauntlets. Watching a Fireball/Ice Storm combined or a fiery tornado circle opponents was just awesome to see.

So Fable:TLC is the best game of the entire series (I keep writing Seasons and having to correct myself :)). If they make a Fable 4 - I will seriously have to consider it before continuing the series...

Sorry for a bit of a rant there.....

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
I never played the original Fable, but liked Fable 2 enough to buy my own copy (I started by playing my housemate's one), and Fable 3. But then Fable 3 was a disappointment. I felt sort of trapped by the linear storyline. Sure, I could be good or evil, I could chose to break the promises, but I couldn't choose, say, to not make them in the first place; and breaking them merely meant the person to whom they'd been made didn't like me and left. There were no real consequences to it. And if you kill some random in the street, people eventually forget. Oh, you get people calling you a murderer for the rest of the game, but none of your allies call you up on it. It's nothing but a linear game with the choice to change the scenery a bit, masquerading as real choice.

They got some good voice actors, and the dilemma you've got to deal with is an interesting concept, but it feels forced that people turn on you when you break promises because for some reason you can't just say to your friends, hold on a sec, there's this big danger coming. Let's do what we have to for now, and then see about fulfilling promises when we're not all gonna die. But then you've got the option of playing lute hero for ages to get the money you need, and that isn't a logical or sensible way of dealing with treasury shortfall. I can just picture it now: David Cameron saying "oops, we need some more money here. Tell you what, I'll go and play a guitar on the streets of London and that'll make me enough money to bolster the treasury so we don't ruin the economy." Not gonna happen (even if it was possible to fill the treasury that way, anyway, Cameron would just side with Reaver's suggestions).

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Sorry for a bit of a rant there.....

Don't be, that's why I made this thread. I just don't understand the minds of game producers. Let them play it. Don't rely on the obviously lazy or lock of testers.

The new fable coming out is for Xbox 360 Kinect and all you're doing is driving a carriage with horses through Albion and killing people that walk in front of you. Or at least that's all I've gotten out of it.

It just pissed me off so bad that I waited so long for Fable II, only to find out how different of a game it was. So then Fable III came out, I expected redemption and was somewhat disappointed.

I loved the weaponry and spells of the third installment, even thought they don't come near to the awesomeness of the first fable. And I liked the Halo Assault Ridlfe and Armor for Fable II, that was very neat and nice to see some creativity.

I agree on how linear it was as well, and it really deprived the world of what adventures it could've had. That's why Fable and Fable TLC were so awesome, they were adventurous fantasy RPGs. You got to travel all over the world and encounter different experiences in places you've already been through.

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
I never got around to Fable 3, didn't have the money because I bought Dragon Age! Which was awesome except I wasn't sure how the weapon and armor class systems went. I never completed it either cause my brother sold the game for COD: BO. Poo!

Gryffin

Scribe
My friend has Fable III and I've been playing it. I never played the first 2 so maybe that helps me enjoy this one more than others seem to. I am liking this game in comparison to games I've played in this past. I love that you can make choices and just kind of roam around if that's what you feel like doing. It reminds me a lot of the Zelda games and I like those a lot.

Metalfist

Dreamer
I agree with the original poster. The way I see it is that Peter Molyneux really had to work hard to bring something new to the console RPG table. I remember all of the talk and preview that led up to the release of Fable. The list of unique features had us salivating. Once Fable was seen as a smash hit, it was hard to raise the bar with a sequel. I decided that the original Fable took so much of my time to play that I didn't want to jump back into a sequel when it was released. I eventually forgot that it even existed and never did buy it or its follow up.

morfiction

Troubadour
I haven't played much of Fable. I own it but I let a friend borrrow my 360 and my games. I thought the play control was a little difficult to get a hang of.