• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking forward to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I spent way too many hours on Oblivion, but never finished the main quest. Still, it was a wonderful experience.

Here's the trailer for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:

It has dragons. :)

Are there any changes that you would like to see from the previous game?

Last edited:
I really cannot wait for this game to be released. The game itself looks stunning, and the soundtrack itself is absolutely amazing. The music in itself makes me want to buy the game right now, just so I can enjoy the orchestral score. I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series ever since Morrowind, and it's nice to see that this franchise has advanced as much as it has.

As for changes, there is only one really important thing I'd like to see modified from Oblivion, and that is the movement system. I really cannot stand moving around in third-person. There is just something about it that irritates me. Bethesda seems to use it for all of their new games - Fallout: New Vegas had the same problem. It was like seeing someone with the ability to do a complete turn without so much as moving your feet or bending your joints in any fashion.

EDIT: Sadly however, after watching the trailer several more times, I don't think they changed the movement system at all. Oh well, I suppose.

Last edited:

Behelit

Troubadour
The graphics are gorgeous, but they were just fine in Oblivion. I never did like the character models though.

What I'd love to see improved is the combat system. I love real-time combat, but there's something really dull about it in Oblivion. Maybe its just me, but it didn't feel very fluid or interactive as it felt like it should be. I ended up just kiting most of the monsters I fought, otherwise I sustained more damage than I dealt, even if I blocked it. After a while, it seemed like it took 100 hits to slay a creature and that just becomes tedious. I kept on top of my skills and attributes too. I'd say I'm fairly veteran when it comes to RPGames.

A combat system that is interactive, consequences of blocking and hitting are much greater. When you're making a game like Oblivion that feels so real to walk in the character boots, the combat should coincide. It doesn't need to be one hit deaths but having to hit a creature 50-100 times just saps away that sense of imminent danger.

Last edited:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Behelit,

I agree with your criticisms of the combat system. It would have been better if there were instant fatalities (determined by odds), rather than hacking away at enemies endlessly. In real life, sometimes a sword actually kills a person with a single well-placed stab. And in real life a rat doesn't need to be hit by an axe ten times before it finally dies.

This spoiled the realism in an otherwise superb game.

Behelit

Troubadour
Yep, limb damage would be nice too. Head damage at a minimum, make the hitbox small so its not easy for archers or mages to hit. Or create an individual weakness for each creature that can be found and read in one of the many, many books. Its the little nuances/details in games! Don't get me wrong, Oblivion does have them.

It is otherwise a superb game. :)

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
Definitely looking forward to it. I loved Oblivion and Morrowind remains one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

I agree with the combat system critiques. Killing your average person took way too long. :) My single least-favorite thing in the game though was that their 'world leveling' system, which keeps the other characters and creatures on par with your level, also applied to gear. By the time I beat the game (which I did a couple times) I was running across bandits in full glass and deadric armor. Guess the stuff ain't so rare after all...

YES!!! Waiting for it very impatiently. :D I spent a lot of time playing Oblivion (the prequel) when it first came out. I was immersed in it for hours, days and weeks. Skyrim looks even better, so I'm looking forward to being transported to another dimension this November. The clips alone are highly inspirational. I'll have a hard time deciding whether I should be playing, or drawing my own world. Lol!

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Oh my God, I could write a book about how much I want to play this game!

All I am going to say is I'm not leaving my house for months until I've explored every pixel of Skyrim.

11-11-11 is going to be AWESOME. :)

Wreckluse

Scribe
Skyrim iscertainly the game I am most anticipating this year! (closely followed by the new Ace Combat game though....I know I know...but I love fighter jets)

I'm in the same boat as you BD, I played oblivion for hours and hours and I still have no idea how it ends :) I think I did beat all the side missions however....with the exception of maybe the Thieves Guild..... oh great...no I gotta go back and play it again...Thanks alot!!

myrddin173

Maester
I am still relatively new to the Elder Scrolls games, I only got Oblivion maybe two months ago but I fell in love as soon as I started so I definitely can not wait!

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I can't wait, but I get the feeling none of my friends and family will hear from me for a few months after it's released. I think I heard there is some locational damage, that you have to time your blocks, and that their are scripted finishing moves - which sounds more interesting already in terms of combat. Behelit; you mentioned character models - have you seen all the new race screenshots? They're looking pretty good to me.

Telcontar

Staff
This is close enough now that I actually think I'll start looking up info on it. In a perfect world, they'd keep roughly the combat system from Oblivion and impose the magic from Morrowind. Don't know about everybody else, but Oblivion's magic was kinda week compared to its predecessor. Morrowind made me feel like magic could be useful in nearly any situation, from combat to travel to thievery to what-have-you. Oblivion's was pretty much useless except for combat.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Telcontar: I thought Oblivion magic felt like throwing balloons around. I highly recommend doing some reading in the Elder Scrolls forums, and watching some of the E3 footage - magic looks way better. You get a power called dragon shouts which are powerful, you can assign separate spells to each hand, and there are different ways to cast. So a fire spell will have your typical fire ball, a flamethrower style option, and a sort of 'mine' option - where you cast the spell on the ground, and it explodes when the enemies walks over it.

There are also some pretty useful, non combat orientated spells that I've seen in gameplay footage.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The new screen shots look pretty awesome. I have the new delayed-for-an-eternity Deus Ex coming soon, so I'll have that to hold me over until Skyrim. I really would like to play through Oblivion again, but staring at people's faces close up for hours on end is not really appealing to me right now.

Although I would like like to test my balding Breton wizard a bit more...

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Phil the Drill: I wanted to get the new Deux Ex - but I'm scared it will turn me into a recluse. The same with Skyrim really, but I can't pass on that one. I'm in the same boat concerning Oblivion. The combination of clay faces, shoddy voice acting, and unsatisfying levelling won't let me enjoy it like I once did.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I have vacation for about three more weeks so I shall be the brown recluse of all reclusive-ness. The one perk of being a teacher.

I honestly wasn't too interested in Deus Ex at all until I heard it has been getting a lot of good reviews. And I've been replaying Mass Effect 2, so I'm sort of in that "cybernetic atomsmashing hero" mode right now.

But Skyrim will hopefully fill the yawning void that Dragon Age 2 left. I liked Dragon Age 2, but...I think Skyrim will decapitate it and wear its skin as a cloak.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Never been into the Dragon Age, but I love Mass Effect! I think I'm interested in Deus Ex because it reminds me a little of Metal Gear Solid, but in first person.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Ok, I know this is a bit off topic from Skyrim, but have you seen the new Metal Gear game? It looks insane! It doesn't look like Snake is the main character (which sucks) but all the sword slicing is blowing my mind.

And you know, the sword slicing in Skyrim will be off-the-hook too. There, back on topic!

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I have, I'm not really to fussed about the look of it though. You're right, you don't play as Snake. I don't think it's going to have much emphasis on espionage either... but we'll see when it comes out. I would be looking forward to the upcoming Metal Gear Solid HD collection - but they're not including MGS 1, so it doesn't really count as a complete collection to me.

And yeah, you seen any other the footage for the finishing moves in Skyrim? They do look pretty cool - except that some look like they force you into 3rd person for the duration of the move... and I'm worried it might break immersion.

Metalfist

Dreamer
I'm most certainly looking forward to the release of Skyrim. As a rule, I love Bethesda's works. However, Johnny-Come-Lately that I might be, I've only just bought and started to play Fallout 3.... and it just isn't grabbing me at all. I think that it's just the whole "sameness" of the apocolyptic terrain that has me bored. I've played Oblivion several times over and am about to start yet another character build.