• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What gender are you?

What gender are you?

• Female

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Male

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Come on there are more than 24 people on this forum. Let's get some more votes! 24 is an insufficient sample size!

You only need 6 more :p and knowing the population size, you could probably work with it at 24.

How many active members does Mythic Scribes have anyway?

Butterfly

Auror
In the last 24 hrs... 122

Click the Forum button and scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a list of who has been here in 24 hrs.

Nihal

Vala
The other communities I frequent - like gaming - are male dominated. I'm so used to it that I'm surprised to see so many females around. I knew there were more females here than I would expect, but noting of this scale.

Yet I think, that, yeah, we can't use it as a sample right now and that only the most active and outgoing users are voting. I still expect to find more males than females, but it's interesting to see the (unexpectedly balanced for me) ratio of the users who fit in the above profile.

Mindfire

Istar
Perhaps we should restrict "active" to people who post on a regular basis. I'm not sure that defining active as simply logging on once in a while is very useful here.

Perhaps a better metric of "active" would be how many users have X posts/Y unit of time on the forum?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Cool. I have a coworker who is a trans-female, which I wouldn't have known had she not been open about it. While studying at Hong Kong U, a professor introduced me to three transgender friends of his at the campus Starbucks so I hung out with them and they encouraged me to ask questions that I would have found awkward to ask without the invitation. Learned a lot!

Chime85

Sage
Cool. I have a coworker who is a trans-female, which I wouldn't have known had she not been open about it. While studying at Hong Kong U, a professor introduced me to three transgender friends of his at the campus Starbucks so I hung out with them and they encouraged me to ask questions that I would have found awkward to ask without the invitation. Learned a lot!

While I can only speak for myself on the matter (I have no intention of placing words in someones mouth), I can say that I don't mind questions that have spawned from curiosity. By all means, there are polite questions and rude questions, but mostly questions come down to a matter of context and purpose. :)

Chilari

Staff
I have learned so much about gender and gender identity since my sister came out and I started meeting other trans people. I've also learned a lot about feminism - about how ignoring or belittling trans people can cause so much harm to the quest for equality, and how devisive it can be. It's given me a better understanding of what feminism is and what it can achieve. And it frightens me to see the so-called "Radical Feminists" obsessing over biological sex rather than accepting the reality of the gender gradient in order to better challenge the patriarchy.

Thanks for speaking out, Chime; I think it's only by giving people an awareness of the existence and realities of those that don't fit to gender binary myth that bigotry against trans people, intersex people and on gender lines in general in terms of sexism (in both directions) that gender equality can really move forward.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
And it frightens me to see the so-called "Radical Feminists" obsessing over biological sex rather than accepting the reality of the gender gradient in order to better challenge the patriarchy.

My understanding is that the idea of gender as anything other than a social construct runs counter to radical feminism, and they view transgender as only a consequence of socialized gender roles in the first place. In other words, if there is no such thing as gender, apart from a constructed social fiction, then there is no such thing as transgender in any real sense.

That's not a viewpoint I agree with, though outside of transgender issues I think the radical feminists make some good points. I do think transgender is a biological state and not just a social construct, so I think the same openness and equality that apply elsewhere should apply in cases of transgender people as well.

Thanks, Chime85, for your nice words about the community!