• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Council of Seven Elders

My exams are finally over, with the worst of them all, Social Studies, suitably flunked today. But alas, my question borders on the political path. And I thought I was done with it. But hey, it's my story and even politics is interesting to me in there.

To cut to the chase, there are many cities of magic spread out throughout Earth in my story, unknown to the normal population. One of these is situated near a coast in England.

Now every city of magic in different countries has its own political structure. So the one I'm concerned with right now, the one in England, it has a body of seven outstanding lawmakers and rulers called the Council of Elders, with another ton of people under them to help out (the subordinates will be based more or less on real life people in their positions). I guess it's like the Cabinet Ministers in most countries, but there is no distinct leader like the President or the Prime Minister in the Council.

Instead, there are two persons specially elected from within the Council to lead them, but these two senior councilmembers don't have nearly as much power as the President or Prime Minister, thus aiding in a more equal environment.

These two senior councilmembers are more like activity directors or the captains of a football team; they gather the other councilmembers around them, initiate meetings and proceedings and stuff, they hold the Council together.

Then they pass laws and stuff with advice and input from their subordinates.

So what do you think? Does this system work? Elections are regularly held (get that out of the way).
From my point of view, it's a perfect system, but hey, I'm biased, the idea's my baby.

I need to know before I take my story any further. It plays a kinda important role in the story.

Rob P

Minstrel
My knowledge is limited but have a look at how the supreme court justices in the States operate. I believe there are seven of those, though it may be five. Anyhow, when they write their views on points of law, the other members either support and sign up to it or write differing viewpoints altogether. Each time they look to gain a consensus.

Sounds good so far. The council votes, and with only seven votes the issues can become very visible, as Elders argue and negotiate for just one or two more votes from people they've worked with for years. In fact, it sounds more writable than a congress or such with dozens or hundreds of members. Rivals, friends, and all right there.

Of course the real power might be in the "assistants" that write the fine print and filter the evidence their elders see about what's going to work. Just like now. :rolleyes:

Hmm, with two "activity directors," how much do those leaders fight each other with their power to organize? Seven voters means no ties, but two organizers could make some trouble.

My knowledge is limited but have a look at how the supreme court justices in the States operate. I believe there are seven of those, though it may be five. Anyhow, when they write their views on points of law, the other members either support and sign up to it or write differing viewpoints altogether. Each time they look to gain a consensus.

A high court is (in theory) colleagues working to preserve the same principles together, very different from a legislature where different politics openly clash and decide whether to compromise at all. In theory.

Last edited:

Alexandra

Closed Account
My first agent once told me publishers don't like books written by committee (co-authored). Years ago, when I worked in the public sector, I learned that the easiest way to put the brakes on an idea, or to simply kill it, was to strike a committee to look at the idea/issue/whatever. I saw this technique used time and again. My point; governments run solely by committee and lacking in leadership tend not to work.

Of course the real power might be in the "assistants" that write the fine print and filter the evidence their elders see about what's going to work. Just like now. :rolleyes:

Hmm, with two "activity directors," how much do those leaders fight each other with their power to organize? Seven voters means no ties, but two organizers could make some trouble.

I guess that's what I'm going for, there is a lot of tension between the two senior councilmembers, intended, and a natural conflicting common institution could just be the icing on the cake, now you mention it.

To shed some more light on the working of my system, the Council appoints a trusted 'secretary' to filter through the more important reports for them and to organise the events and cases that the Council has to oversee. He/She's like an eighth councilmember considering the workload.

In most cases, there is a trusted panel of about 50-60 people that votes yes or no to a particular motion.

The influence of the Council runs high. They have about 40% weightage in the end result of the decision and the rest of the 60% rests with the panel of voters, and they almost never contradict the opinion of a unanimous decision of the Council, so the wish of the majority of the Council is almost always implemented.

My first agent once told me publishers don't like books written by committee (co-authored). Years ago, when I worked in the public sector, I learned that the easiest way to put the brakes on an idea, or to simply kill it, was to strike a committee to look at the idea/issue/whatever. I saw this technique used time and again. My point; governments run solely by committee and lacking in leadership tend not to work.

It's not solely a committee, as you said, but more of a double leadership divided between the two senior councilmembers. The other councilmembers elect the said two seniormen based on their wisdom and reputation, and they affect a lot of influence on the proceedings of the law.

These two councilmembers are the figureheads of the government of the city of magic, like the Prime Minister and President in my own beloved country, India, although their powers are vastly different. The people of the city look upto them.

There, now see, posting this already helped me, I've made up more stuff to go along with your views.

Fantastic! Keep going, please.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
I live on the coast in England and you're not actually too far from the truth here. Our County council has 40 or so members (not sure exactly), each has an equal vote on local issues and their own ward (area) for which they are responsible. Out of these there are internal elections to select the council leader and the council chairperson - these are the two with the most power, but don't in themselves have enough power to be able to make decisions on their own. Of course, above this there is the central (national) government who are responsible for governing the country.

I live on the coast in England and you're not actually too far from the truth here. Our County council has 40 or so members (not sure exactly), each has an equal vote on local issues and their own ward (area) for which they are responsible. Out of these there are internal elections to select the council leader and the council chairperson - these are the two with the most power, but don't in themselves have enough power to be able to make decisions on their own. Of course, above this there is the central (national) government who are responsible for governing the country.

Huh, interesting. I didn't know about this. So, I guess there wouldn't be an uproar if I did incorporate my system into my world. Hmmm. An amazing display of clairvoyance. This could have a deeper meaning.

You really speak the truth? Well, maybe I could add stuff about politics in cities of magic being similar to their adjacent regions'. Thanks for that. Except no central government ruling over every city of magic in a country. They're all independent. It's really the government of the Muggles that holds the country together.