• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Ark1117

Dreamer
yeah i know what you mean it was anti-climatic and I really don't see why this ending was changed from the book's ending, which was a lot more climatic. At least in the book, Voldermort and Harry are surrounded by the entire school and teachers and they actually see him defeating Voldermort whereas in the movie there off by themselves.

Shadoe

Sage
I kinda liked the way Voldemort got it. He didn't get to go out with a bang and be all impressive. He went out more with a pffft - which served him right. No big legends or grand stories to tell the next generation of evil wizards - he just got stepped on like a bug. :)

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I kinda liked the way Voldemort got it. He didn't get to go out with a bang and be all impressive. He went out more with a pffft - which served him right. No big legends or grand stories to tell the next generation of evil wizards - he just got stepped on like a bug. :)

Hmm, that is one way to look at it.

I just grew up watching these movies, and all of the hype led up to this big, awesome ending... which didn't happen! I just wanted what was coming to him so badly on the screen. Oh well!

I was disapointed with the part 2. Part 1 was so good and filled with info that was important (except the stupid dancing scene...), it really set what looked like a good platform for part 2 to finish the series with a resounding bang. But for me it didnt. It was a fizzle. Lots of stuff was just wrong, how and when Voldemort died being a big issue for me. They cut Peeves' song after the death too. Which is just disgusting haha.

But seriously, I just didnt feel like this was the best way to end the series. They had so much potential for some amazing battles and amazing scenes, dialogue, humour and so much more. It just felt like they rushed through it to get to the forest part and then the end. And the epilogue - I hated that in the book. It was marginally better in the film.

The concept of a television series (ala Game of Thrones?) is a good one, although that wouldnt happen for at least 10 years I reckon. It needs time for the films to die down in memory. Plus, casting harry would be a nightmare, as Radcliffe IS Harry Potter in most peoples eyes. The character of Harry doesnt seem as easily adaptable to different actors as, say, Batman. A remake series would be good, but I cant envisage that happening, with 7 films to re-do, the financial commitment would be massive.

db

Dreamer

Dreamer
I can understand why they had to split it up since there is so much to cover that there would be a lot lost if it was all jammed into a 2 hour movie. On the flip side of the coin I hate that it had to be because that means two release dates and more waiting! It
is too bad we couldn't have just one long movie.

Cheryl

Dreamer
A remake would be pretty awesome so they could do the movies knowing what actually happened in the end. I think this is where the series has nost its flaws. In the movies, Harry and Hermione have so much chemistry and I think they got scenes like the dance scene in part 1 because Kloves was an H/Hr fan whereas JK knew in her mind that Romione and Ginny/Harry were end game. I think in an interview DanRad said he wanted to play Dumbledore in the future, Emma wanted to play McGonabamf and Draco, Lucius. That would be pretty cool to see!

Also, I think the final battle scene went down that way because of the influence of the 3D. I really feel like they wanted to maximize the effect. I just wish it had happened in the great hall for everyone to see how the great evil wizard will fall!

The concept of a television series (ala Game of Thrones?) is a good one, although that wouldnt happen for at least 10 years I reckon. It needs time for the films to die down in memory. Plus, casting harry would be a nightmare, as Radcliffe IS Harry Potter in most peoples eyes. The character of Harry doesnt seem as easily adaptable to different actors as, say, Batman. A remake series would be good, but I cant envisage that happening, with 7 films to re-do, the financial commitment would be massive.

I think a TV series would be interesting (more things could be included) but yes, it would be hard to imagine a different Harry Potter (at this time). As far as redoing the films - they may not redo all 8 of them quite frankly. I mean look at how many times the BBC as redone the Chronicles of Narnia. They don't do all the books (even though I'm pretty sure all the books have been made at least once now). They may just redo the most popular ones. Either way - I'd like to see how the series would change in a decade.

It's been a while since I saw it at the premiere, but... I really enjoyed it, just because I love the books and all the movies, but there was a lot I was disappointed about:

-Neville was a straight badass in the book, but the part where he killed the snake was weak in the movie, and what happened to pulling the sword out of the hat? Completely screwed that up
-Am I the only one who never heard of a Hogwarts boathouse? The grounds look very different
-The harry-Voldemart part was BS. One of my favorite parts of the book was Harry casting protection spells from under the cloak to fight him one on one. Which reminds me...
-They completely ignored the invisibility cloak, which I was furious about. And I can't completely remember, but I don't think it mentions the resurrection stone when Harry is walking to the forest
-Someone else mentioned it, but there was almost almost attention given to Percy, George, Tonks and Lupin. The parts in the book were so emotional.

To sum up: as always, the books were a hundred times better. Still a pretty good movie though.

Shadoe

Sage
I agree with your points. But as with any book made into a movie, I think you have to look at the movie as a stand-alone project. With all that happened in the books, it couldn't all go into the movie. And what worked in the book, wouldn't have worked as well on screen. The boathouse for instance. Created solely because it would look better on screen than the setting in the book. On its own, I think it was a pretty good set of movies.

Oh I completely agree, I'm just nitpicking a few details, most of it really didn't bother me too much(with the exception of the Neville scene and the Harry-Voldemort part). I do love all of the movies, I was just stating a couple things that were kind of annoying. With the boat house, I wouldn't have a problem with it except that it doesn't exist. Period. We've seen all the castle grounds, both in the books and in the movies, and I think they should have had the foresight to put it in another movie somewhere, or just set the scene somewhere else.

myrddin173

Maester
@Elder Actually we have seen it, in one of the games. I don't remember which one it was. Anyways the mere fact that it made it into the movie means it was approved by Jo and is therefore "canon." I also think it made the scene much better than it would have been.

Shadoe

Sage
Yes, they did go to her about the boathouse and she did approve it. There was an article about it somewhere on the web a few months before the movie came out. I think the scene worked well. I think I liked it much better than I would have if they'd done it the way the book had it.

Not sure about the other scenes. I've forgotten so much already. Have to re-read the books to remind myself.