• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

250 million years into the future

Lucas

Troubadour
Yes, I have pondered on the idea on writing a novel or create a game set 250 million years in the future, set in Pangaea Ultima.

planet.jpg0c63b73e-7919-49fe-adc5-a758898a0874Large.jpg

Humanity will have gone extinct since long ago, and the ecosystems would look entirely different. What I am most interested in is the climactic situation in 250 million years, as well as whether there would be less electro-magnetism, which I guess could affect evolution pretty much.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I am tempted to type the followining in ALL CAPS, but will refrain from that .)

You want to check out this website and the DVD that goes with it:
The FUTURE IS WILD | FIW Globe
This deal with EXACTLY the WhatIf you are thinking of. Climate, Evolution, the works.

Have Fun :)

Lucas

Troubadour
I have already seen the series, but thank you anyway ;)

I even plagued myself through the horrible animated spin-off ;)

Lucas

Troubadour
What I was thinking was basically to write a story where the main protagonists are members of a post-human sentient species. ^^

mbartelsm

Troubadour
The problem is that 65 million years ago, there was nothing remotely resembling a human; 250 million years in the future is even less likely, that is IF humans evolve into something else instead of just becoming extinct

Chime85

Sage
You can add some kind of semi science, like humans visual spectrum depended entirely on movement. Or, we hunted in packs (soldiers) and utilized common materials such as metals and plastic to overcome our rivals.

As sarcastic that sounds, I'm being serious :)

Last edited:

Lucas

Troubadour
The problem is that 65 million years ago, there was nothing remotely resembling a human; 250 million years in the future is even less likely, that is IF humans evolve into something else instead of just becoming extinct

This species won't be posthuman.

Rather post-cephalopod. ^^

Lucas

Troubadour
I find the idea that the POV characters always must be human quite... boring. In humans vs aliens/non-humans, human are most often turned into the boring uptight dudes or the befuddled clueless normal guys who just try to survive. Unless they are encountering "elvish" species - then the humans are usually more relaxed.

I wrote an entire book from goblin perspective.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I've read more than one - very good - book where the 'humans' were portrayed as the 'aliens' ... when this is done well, it's a very powerful way to hold up a mirror to your own beliefs and morals.