• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A book worth reading

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Some of the most enduring reads over the last ten years for me were from the YA, middle grade genres, especially in fantasy. The best of them make me think, I wish I could've read this book as a child. :)

Mad Swede

Auror
There's a lot of truth in that statement from Lewis, and also a great deal of implicit criticism of some children's books. I've always thought that good literature should work on several levels, no matter what age group its aimed at. You need good characterisation, the story arc needs to work and there needs to be some depth to it all. Lewis put it even more succinctly when he said that he wrote the sort of books he would have wanted to read as a child. My children would have agreed with Lewis - they loved the more complex childrens stories, and hated the cheap, simplistic stories that some modern authors feel are appropriate.

I still enoy reading the Harry Potter books, the Moomintroll books and also the Emil i Lönneberga books. The latter are not only quite amusing and touching as stories, they are also a very accurate description of and commentary on life in rural Sweden at the start of the 20th century. I once asked my grandparents why they laughed when they read the books to me, and got the reply that they could remember doing things like that as children. Then they started to tell me their own stories about life at that time in their part Sweden...