• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A couple of JP creature lists

Of all the taxa represented within the Jurassic Park franchise (the books, the five finished films, the upcoming Dominion film, the Camp Cretaceous TV series and the Evolution games), which ones are your favorites? And which Mesozoic taxa would you like to see represented in Jurassic Park? I'll start with my list:

Allosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Quetzalcoatlus
Dryosaurus
Deinonychus
Stenonychosaurus
Latenivenatrix
Pectinodon
Albertosaurus
Dracorex

Hatzegopteryx
Microraptor
Tawa
Guanlong
Suskityrannus
Zuniceratops
Spectrovenator
Yutyrannus
Zuul
Repenomamus
Beelzebufo
Confuciusornis
Magyarosaurus
Minmi
Leaellynasaura

Have fun and let me see your lists. Enjoy!

renderTimingPixel.png

Chasejxyz

Inkling
I only watch the movies, but I've read the original novel and I'm a huge nerd for birds, past and present. So as you can imagine I'm very salty that the dinosaurs don't have feathers! I can kinda excuse them making the velociraptors bigger (since there were OTHER species that were that size, and they lived in Montana, even!) but it's Really Very Dumb that they still haven't done feathers at this point. It might be because there's a lot of people who think feathers "ruins" T. rex, but you can make anything scary.

In my googling, I can't really find Microraptor in JP. It's one of the few species we have a really, really good idea as to how they looked (specifically shaped feathers on tail, glossy black feathers) AND it has 4 "wings"! It's a super cool dinosaur! Have them fly around in the dark and bite people! Also put spinosaurus in there but do it with the 2020 design, with the eel tail and have it be crocodile-like like it actually was!

Honestly I'd want to see Pleistocene Park, since it's way easier to do (scientifically) and most people don't know a lot of these critters. A fair amount are background characters in the Ice Age movies, but I doubt they can pick a glyptodon out of a line up. Or even know what a giant ground sloth actually looks like. It would also make a lot more sense for them to escape/live in the wild, especially in North America/Europe. I really love chalicotheres and you don't see them in anything.

Well Chase, if you've at least caught the Dominion trailer,fully feathered dinosaurs make their first show for the series (The JP3 raptors are among my favorites, overly smart or not). Outside of some of the games. Mostly the mobile ones. Pretty sure Pyro and Micro are supposed to be showing up for Dominion. Or that is just rumors. And they've already shown the likes of Lystrosaurus from the Permian and early Triassic. So possibly getting more of the likes of the old favorite Dimetrodon. True, not a dinosaur any more then the dactyl's and sea reptiles. Which at least Evolution 2 will cover those too.

For the certopsids, just having a Diabloceratops around just for the sheer name awesomeness would be cool. Along with a Protoceratops or three. Maybe one sneakily named Bix. Utahraptor would be cool to have too. Also a few of the old crocodilians. As towards accuracy or easier, at this point in the fiction, Wu is working miracles if his genetic magic can raise up a mosasaur and permian era beasties. It's also something often commented on within the fiction itself. Less about accuracy and more about entertainment. Who knows, even in the new film you might get your wish of getting your ground sloths and anklyasaurus armadillo.