1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

A few thoughts on Corruption

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Since we have the first character with a Corruption point, I'm going to post a few thoughts here. I'm not going to post detailed information about how Corruption works, or what all the consequences are, because there haven't been many mages around since the Corruption began, thanks to most of them being dead, and it is not really well understood within the game world.

Here are a few things rumored to be known about Corruption within those circles that study the lore:

1. Over time Corruption can affect the physical and mental well-being of the caster, though just how this effect occurs and how serious it is seems to vary from person to person.

2. Corruption can worsen the effects of runaway magic. A Corrupt individual is a more easy gateway to this unnatural place that magic now comes from, and they can more easily draw too much, with worse consequences.

3. In some cases, Corruption can enhance the effects of a successful spell. It is rare, but it happens for much the same same reasons as #2, above, the difference being that in the case of enhanced effects the caster is in control.

That's about all the characters understand about it.

I will say, with respect to runaway magic generally, that once you start casting spells above level 1 there is potential for runaway magic to be quite a bit worse than what we've experienced so far. For level 1 spells the effects are mild and rather limited in range so casters can kind of ease into the system.

Ireth likes this.
  2. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Corruptions sounds like an awesome RP device. Almost wish I created a wizard.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Well, in one game we had a mage who was covered in boils and heard voices constantly. He was also missing a foot, but that wasn't due to Corruption. The guy couldn't even be seen in civilized society by that point. But he knew some cool spells :)

4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I hope Mauve keeps her feet. I don't want her and Baldhart to have that Chewbacca-C3PO relationship in which one carries the other's broken body everywhere in a backpack.

5. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Ok, this one was a surprise, but makes sense.

I believe that even the people who kept stubbornly practicing arcane magic took certain precautions. I picture them studying more than anything else, seldom truly casting magic, keeping any apprentices from their own spellbooks so they don't cast unsupervised, controlling the magical reagents, etc. (explains why Mauve is such a bad caster!)

Mauve may had not felt the corruption herself until today, however, her past probably gave her a little more insight on how a corrupted mage acts and looks like.

P.s.: From the information we have so far, I can see why a corrupted mage would keep using magic. Scary.

P.p.s.:
    Right now, one of the possible reasons for Mauve get broken would be Baldhart herself. >.<

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Good to know. Thanks, Steerpike!

7. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

[​IMG] Rydh, I hear you learned Shield of Faith Level 2. Make me invincible!

[​IMG] It's risky, but… are you sure? Well, okay. (Pray, pray, pray…)

[​IMG] What? Something wrong?

[​IMG] No.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017